Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Fram PH9688 is the lightest at 7.5 ounces (and I have one of these in my car right now). These also are a bit smaller in diameter and slightly less capacity than the other three.

The Puolator is 8.9 oz

The Federated is 11.2 oz

The Auto7 / OEM is 11.4 oz

Only the Federated and the OEM came with wrappers covering the insides.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Those filters look pretty the way you photographed them. :laugh:

What is the part number on the Fram? When you say capacity what do you mean by that? To me it usually means how many grams of crud it will hold before the media loads up. That is more dependent on the media as I understand it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh gee, man, you're way over my head with that in depth technical knowledge.
I guess that's what I get for trying to profess that I knew something about oil filters, which BTW is why I said "FWIW".

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Elantra GL
228 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The reason I asked for the Fram part number is some people get the Honda one that is smaller. Then I compared my Fram Ultra XG9688 and it does seem a smaller in diameter, but is a little more on top since than the OEM 26300 35504. The OEM filter is a little more dome shaped giving the appearance of being smaller on top.

Holding capacity is in grams. One gram of dirt per 1,000 miles. It is being discussed here with some comments from Fram's Tech Director Jay (Motorking):

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4305735/2

It is one reason to avoid some bargain filters since holding capacity is minimal like 2 or 3 grams. In your case changing oil every 2k should not be a problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is stamped on the side of the Fram PH9688 oil filter : A61471

I used to avoid the smaller oil filters, even if they were good brand names like Wix or Napa.
It just seemed to me that a bigger filter would do a better job of filtering. :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This is stamped on the side of the Fram PH9688 oil filter : A61471

I used to avoid the smaller oil filters, even if they were good brand names like Wix or Napa.
It just seemed to me that a bigger filter would do a better job of filtering. :)
I was the same way. I used 3600 instead of 3614 in a Saturn and Lexus. The 3600 was a bigger filter used in a Ford Taurus. Now I see it as more how the filter is constructed and the media used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts