Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!

Recently, I had issue with my radio/clock/dome light and I fixed it by changing fuse 25(10A)
At the moment I installed the new fuse, I heard some "electric spark" sound coming from the driver door speaker and instantly the fuse burned out again.
I tried with another fuse and it burned out again instantly.
So I decided to remove the fuse until I investigate the issue and try to fix it.Removing the fuse 25 doesn't affect the driving.

But today, while I was driving, even with the fuse 25 removed, the clock and the radio started flashing(sparking) on until getting completely ON.
Then I tried to turn on the dome light and guess what, It was working!!
Radio, dome light and clock was working without fuse 25.

Arriving at home, when I turned off the headlights, the clock, the radio and the dome light turned off at the same time.
So I turned back on headlights and "accessories" also turned back on.

Now, I don't know what to do anymore.
I'm a real dumbass with electricity and have no ideas from where to start and what to do to fix the issue.
I took a look at the wiring diagram but it's like Chinese for me!! loll
Does anyone of you have an idea on what is going wrong and where the problem is coming from??

Thank you all!!

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,392 Posts
Turning off the lights and having the accessories follow suit means the headlights are shorted to the line for the fuse.
As far as I know, Hyundai uses ground side switching.
Meaning the headlights are turned on by completing the circuit by providing ground

None of that really matters.
The fuse blowing indicates there is a short somewhere.
You have to trace the wiring to find the short.
It may require opening up the dash or console to find where the problem is

Good luck

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,292 Posts
But from where should I start?
From what you described I suggest you start by disconnecting the wiring for the driver's door.

The wiring routes through a rubber concertina tubing between the car body and the door. If you detach that tubing at the car body end there should be a connector there just inside the hole on the body. Pull the connector out and unplug it. Now replace fuse 25 and see if it blows. If not, the short circuit that is causing the fuse to blow is in the door wiring harness.

The wiring inside that concertina tubing is flexed every time you open/close the driver's door. So that would seem the most likely place for the wiring to get damaged and cause a short circuit. I don't think it's that common a fault on Hyundai cars. But I used to repair this sort of thing every other week when I was an AUTOSPARK in a VW dealership. The photo below shows what I'd often find on VWs.

Oh, and be careful not to close the door with that connector disconnected. If you close the door on the connector you'll probably break it...don't ask me how I know that :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi!

From what you described I suggest you start by disconnecting the wiring for the driver's door.
The wiring routes through a rubber concertina tubing between the car body and the door. If you detach that tubing at the car body end there should be a connector there just inside the hole on the body. Pull the connector out and unplug it. Now replace fuse 25 and see if it blows. If not, the short circuit that is causing the fuse to blow is in the door wiring harness.
I'll try this, thank you!

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,392 Posts
But from where should I start?
Does tracing radio power cable could lead to the short?
Autospark knows his stuff.
However, I was going to suggest making a light that would go into the fuse
This would act as a load and indicate that there is a short when it shines bright
Moving some wires around as in moving the door open and closed ...
would, in theory, make the light go dimmer or vary in brightness
And that would give you an idea of where the short might be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts