Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2013 Santa Fe AWD LWB Limited. The car comes equipped with a fully automatic climate control system.

My question: When I push the "auto" feature and select the temperature, 68 degrees, the fan blows on high but the AC light does not come on and I cannot discern whether or not the AC is actually working.

I can push the AC button and feel the cold air, but if I do not push the AC button along with the Auto button, then there is no cold air.

Is that the way the system is designed? I would have thought that when the "temp" is selected and it is colder than the existing temp inside the car--that the auto feature button would automatically turn on the "AC" button.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If it works like my 2011 Sportage, AUTO, settings LO thru 73 Degrees, the A/C works, & compressor runs at low speed with no A/C light on. You just have to give it a few minutes to "kick in".

Pushing the A/C button just makes it a bit more forceful. I've found there is no "Vent" feature to let in outside air on slightly cool days :mad: I think the A/C system works all the time till you put it on 74 degrees or more, for heat.

I've also noticed that the A/C air temperature always feels the same "Too Cold!" wether it's on LO, or 73 degrees? :rolleyes:

Poor temp. regulation!

·
Registered
237 Posts
There are actually a couple of posts about this, including my own. I had the exact same question/concern about my 2013 AWD LWB Limited.

While it sounds counter intuitive, it seems that the AC light does not illuminate in auto mode. I stopped thinking about it when I realized that the car was indeed cooling down, so obviously the AC must be working, with or without the AC light being on. Hyundai should just change the programming so that the light comes on whenever the AC is on, which would eliminate questions and worry.

I have only had one issue with the AC not cooling down the car, but I dismissed it because it was an unusually hot day (100 degrees) and I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Once I got moving, the car cooled down.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I wonder if the AC cycles on and off in Auto mode, or is it just the fan speed that varies? If the former, then I could see the AC light constantly turning on and off as it cycles to be very distracting, especially at night.

Frankly, doesn't bother me that the AC light is not illuminated because I know it's working due to the temperature in the vehicle.

If you want just outside un-AC vent air, you can manually disengage the AC by pressing the AC button to turn it on manually (light will illuminate) then press it again and it will turn off (light will go out). Basically, anytime you press any of the settings for the HVAC (other than temp settings), you are turning off full auto mode.

I cannot recall, but believe the HVAC might still be in partial auto mode by auto adjusting the fan speed based on the temp setting. Not sure though...would have to test out. Suspect this is all in the manual, no?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Features of your vehicle
4 138
Automatic heating and air conditioning
1. Press the AUTO button.
The modes, fan speeds, air intake
and air-conditioning will be controlled
automatically according to the temperature
setting.
2. Set the driver’s temperature control