Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Has anyone replaced the factory spare with a full size spare? Does a full size tire and rim fit correctly under the truck? I have an 07 Santa Fe Limited with 18" wheels. Pondering a cross "continent" trip and would prefer a full size spare.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (roadguy55 @ Sep 29 2010, 07:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359598
Hello all,

Has anyone replaced the factory spare with a full size spare? Does a full size tire and rim fit correctly under the truck? I have an 07 Santa Fe Limited with 18" wheels. Pondering a cross "continent" trip and would prefer a full size spare.

Thanks.
Dumping the dinky donut was one of the first things I did after taking delivery of my '08. I've got 18s as well, but a 235/70-16 fits just fine (cozy, but fine) on a 16" rim under there for me. I was concerned that with some of the places I'd planned to take this vehicle, the reason for popping a tire might well mean that the dinky donut might last all of about 10 seconds as a spare (a few roads made of rock up in the mountains) and I wanted better protection. It can cost a fortune to get someone to haul a tire up into the boondocks up there.

FWIW, the O.D. on the 235/70-16 is very close to the original 235/60-18 (within 0.5%), the narrower profile doesn't protrude quite as much, and 16" steel rims and tires are cheaper and easier to find.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A full size spare tire does not fit on my 09 with a trailer hitch. The cross bar of the hitch passes (just barely) under the spare. The only way to fit a full size under there would be to deflate it, kinda defeating it's purpose.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My UK spec 07 model with a UK trailer hitch has a full size 18''alloy spare with 235/60 tyre fits no problem, so unless USA model has different body pressings there should be no problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the input. I m going to go with a full size spare on the same rim that I have. I dont have a trailer hitch so that should alleviate that potential issue, and other research and conversation with the dealer lead me to believe I will do fine with the full size.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
QUOTE (roadguy55 @ Sep 30 2010, 12:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359876
Thanks guys for the input. I m going to go with a full size spare on the same rim that I have. I dont have a trailer hitch so that should alleviate that potential issue, and other research and conversation with the dealer lead me to believe I will do fine with the full size.
Actually, a full size spare with original rim was a big selling point when I bought my 03 santa fe. I guess they have cut back on those kind of amenities over the years. Too bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts