Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.6L. When I try to get gas into my car the fuel pump at any gas station will click, such as my tank is full. Only getting 0.200 gallons in my car isn't making my car full. So I sit there for about 10 minutes pumping no more than 0.200 gallons a click.

What is causing this? One of my friends said it could be the "fuel pump", but the fuel pump sends gasoline from the tank to the engine. I don't know if the tank needs to be cleaned out...the tubing lines to the tank are dirty, or if it has bad pressure? Any input???

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's a common evap system problem. It means your charcoal canister has basically exploded and all the evap lines are plugged with charcoal pellets. Happens all the time. Either bite the bullet for an expensive repair, or learn to put the fuel in slow and like it. I just fill up real slow myself. At 400+ miles per tank, why worry?

·
Registered
448 Posts
In some of other threads dealing with the fuel system, I posted a copy of the service manual fuel section that you might want to have a look at (search for posts by Alfons )

In this manual section, they show a couple of things on the top of the tank that you might want to test - one is the "overfill limiter", and the other is the "fuel check valve". If your car does have a charcoal canister, you might follow the lines and see if there's anything plugged - disconnect & blow some air through & replace whatever is clogged. When you read this manual section, you'll see some errors in the pictures showing the fuel filter - many of the fuel filters are built into the pump & the picture shows the overfill limiter (I think) that's labeled as the filter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is indeed your charcoal canister behind the left rear wheel. My dealer wanted $450 just to "troubleshoot" the problem. A tough pill to swallow on a car that's 7 years old! I had luck simply removing the inlet hose to the charcoal canister and dumping out the pellets which had worked their way into the hose. A very simple job, and 12+ fillups later I haven't experienced the problem again. Be sure to wear goggles as you work under your car - lots of debris and crap comes to rest on top of all the hoses/lines. The clamp on the hose is a simple compression clip - pliers are the only tool required. Also, my hoses were somewhat brittle, so be patient taking them off. Good luck! Love my '03 Accent, this is the only issue I've had with it in 128,00 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can vouch for what PDR says. I've been bothered by this same annoying problem when filling up, ever since I bought my car used. Do just as he said.

1. wear eye protection. e.g. sunglasses

2. take the hose off and dump out the pellets.

3. put hose back on. 

Done.

Now go fill up and test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my 01 XG300. I disconnected the canister for a few refills, was able to very slowly gas up one time. I removed the canister and blow air through the canister and each hose for a few minutes reconnected it, no change.

What does the valve that connects to the cannister do?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your rubber lines near the Charcoal Canister are filling with Charcoal, and emptying the lines (temporarily) lets you fill up easily:

Here's an idea I tried, so far (2 months) it has worked perfectly. (at first I was just emptying the lines every time I filled, but that got old fast)

Remove the charcoal container and empty it......just hold it with the pellet leaking side down and shake back and forth it for about 10 minutes.....all the pellets will eventually come out.

Be careful when you disconnect each of the rubber hoses....some of the metal lines are thin and if they're really rusty, they'll break easily.

Use a flashlight, there's at least one bolt that hides from you (3 total if i remember right)....and then the canister will slide into/out of a lip on the body of the car....the lip is toward the front.

Also, the Charcoal container and the DM-TL (the thing with the electrical connector) come off as one unit.... so remove the harness and rubber hoses running from the DM-TL to the car/fuel tank

Completing this procedure has eliminated my problem with filling up.

NOTE: If you're an eco-nut, you're defeating the cars system for preventing fuel fumes from entering the atmosphere by doing this, so you'll want to just by a new canister from Hyundai......

@idejesus.....that's the Diagnostic Module for Tank Leakage.....basically it's a valve, a small pump and a heater (really) that periodically pressurize the fuel tank and checks the internal pressure against the atmospheric pressure to insure that your fuel tank and charcoal canister are not leaking vapor into the atmosphere. Anyway, If you disconnect the correct vapor line from the charcoal canister/DM-TL, you should be able to fill up normally..... if not, your problem lies elsewhere, try a different gas station for starters.....Anyway, to figure out which line to disconnect, try blowing some relatively low pressure (5-10psi) air through the vapor lines leading toward the fuel tank....the line you want will likely bubble the fuel in the tank (if not bubbling, then you will hear the metal of the tank bulging/expanding). By doing this u know that air can get in, therefore, it can also get out. (Your problem is because air trapped in the tank causes the filler neck to fill with gas, which shuts off the gas pump.) So, whichever line (when blowing air in) bubbles/expands the tank is the line that you should disconnect just before you fill up. BTW you should expect to trigger your check engine light if you run the car with that vapor line off.

Hope that helps someone

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same problem. I was to cheap to fix it so all I do is pull the hose that is located right behind the rear driver side tire (where you pump gas). First I would locate it and then get under the car with some pliers so you can either slide the little clamp up the hose and out of the way or just take it off and pull the hose off then put it back on. The first time you pull the hose off it will probably be really hard to pull off because it will be a stuck on. Now that the clamp is out of the way all you need to do is when you are ready to pump gas just reach your hand between the tire and rear bumper and pull the hose off, now pump away. When you are done pumping put the hose back on to the canister.

Its not hard to do at all I can do it in a couple of seconds and I can fill up in normal speed wow thank god lol It used to take me 10 mins to put a couple gallons in. I would pull the handle as lite as I could and it would still click off in under 2 seconds lol.

Another thing if you dont want your hands dirty from the hose every time you pump, clean if off as best as you can (its pretty dirty down there) or just wear gloves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the easy fix

It is indeed your charcoal canister behind the left rear wheel. My dealer wanted $450 just to "troubleshoot" the problem. A tough pill to swallow on a car that's 7 years old! I had luck simply removing the inlet hose to the charcoal canister and dumping out the pellets which had worked their way into the hose. A very simple job, and 12+ fillups later I haven't experienced the problem again. Be sure to wear goggles as you work under your car - lots of debris and crap comes to rest on top of all the hoses/lines. The clamp on the hose is a simple compression clip - pliers are the only tool required. Also, my hoses were somewhat brittle, so be patient taking them off. Good luck! Love my '03 Accent, this is the only issue I've had with it in 128,00 miles.

Thank you for the easy fix. I did exactly what you said , then drove to the gas station, and to my surprise it worked perfectly! Took me 5 minutes. :D

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Now you know where the problem is, replace the canister so your car not emit fuel vapors..

DO NOT park in a closed garage, risk of fuming the garage with fuel vapors, turn key and spark in starter or other other electrical componet just might light off the garage.. charchol is used to trap vaoprs, purge is to control a vacuum leak from engine through canister and vent to draw the vapors off the pellets..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts