Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

the very short and curved metal return pipe has developed a leak because it has rusted away.
It seems that a replacement is a bit like hens' teeth, presumably because
every one of the other 4500 or so Terracans sold in the UK has reached the
certain age at which this takes place and that they all do it.

Once I have cleaned the diesel off the chassis and bodywork, not to mention
the new diesel lake that has formed on top of the fuel tank, I wonder if you have any suggestions
as to the best source for a new one?

I find that the main dealer wants around £287, also listed one bay uk but that all the circa £100
versions are out of stock. Korea Autoparts list one at not much under £200, although everywhere else,
they state that they are out of stock.

There seems to be a supplier in Italy for 160 euros but not much else.
The part number seems to be 31110H1031 and/or 31110H1032.

Any other sources that are in the UK or ship to the UK would be very welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
If it's just the return line can't you just cut the metal pipe off, drill the hole out and fit a hose flange fitting in it's place?
Then add a short length of fuel hose to the flange fitting with an inline hose connector on the opposite end to connect to the hose coming from the engine. You'd probably get change back out of £10.

Hose Flange
Inline Hose Connector

·
Registered
652 Posts
Good idea and nice way to save some money. Internally, one could still use the pipe with a short piece of rubber hose to the hose flange.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
HA HA...I guess I'm an old school vehicle technician. I prefer to fix things rather than just throw parts at a problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Many thanks for the excellent ideas, I have kept the old one and will try the repair out.
No need to cut the return pipe off, it fell off, walls thinner than a cig paper, the rest of the metal wasn't too clever either after 13 years soaked in wet mud.
I did in the end manage to source a replacement from a breakers for £82, they must have looked at the main dealer's prices.
Now that it is repainted and coated in grease, it should outlast the car, since it has already outlasted one.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
I did in the end manage to source a replacement from a breakers for £82
Jeez, £82 and it doesn't even have a fuel pump. Just a float and a couple of pipes that appear to made out of old lager cans.

You should do my mod to the original one and sell it on ebay. You'd probably get your 82 quid back :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I might well do that, thanks for the suggestion.:)
Hyundai think that the same old lager cans are worth £287.

Presumably it is made of old lager cans because they realised that as the fuel tank is plastic and the feed pipes above it are rubber, they needed something to rot away, so that the car would not last too long or so that they could sell £5 worth to a long suffering customer for the aforementioned £287.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Presumably it is made of old lager cans because they...needed something to rot away
Yeah, I can just imagine the discussion in the Hyundai design office...lets strategically place some old lager cans in the fuel system so we can make some money down the line 😀

1 - 10 of 10 Posts