Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know if it has mentioned but want to know if others have the same problem. There are certain gas stations that won't fill the tank up all the way. Has happened twice at costco and a few times at other stations. 95% of the time my tank is full in the two HSH's i've owned. There are two empty pips. It makes calculating the mileage impossible for this tank and the next one.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've had this happen once (can't remember which station i was at...) Saw gas at the top of the fill tube. I know I put as much in there as I could, but I got in and was still missing a pip.

Down the road that pip came in, but milage for that tank was about a gallon off the usual.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's still possible to calculate MPG, just not for the specific tank. What you do is still keep record of how much you filled, and then the second fill up, you need to make sure you fill up all the way. Then, you do the MPG calculation as if you had one big fill up (even though you filled up twice) and you'll get an avg MPG for both tanks of gas. No, this is not the ideal way to do it, but I've have done it on my Elantra a few times because of this problem, and at least it's better than not having any data at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know if it has mentioned but want to know if others have the same problem. There are certain gas stations that won't fill the tank up all the way. Has happened twice at costco and a few times at other stations. 95% of the time my tank is full in the two HSH's i've owned. There are two empty pips. It makes calculating the mileage impossible for this tank and the next one.
I agree. This happens all the time to me; at many different pumps and stations. I took it into the dealer a few times complaining about this but they say everything is fine. I think its the evap system...

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
with how hyundai EVAP systems are (crap) you should never be 'topping off' your gas tank. once the pump clicks, you're done.

although i have not read the sonata hybrid OM, i can tell you it is in the OM for other hyundai cars not to top off.

·
Registered
802 Posts
One thing I have notices is that if the gas station property is at an angle, then the HSH doesn't always fill completely. It is like an air bubble gets trapped on one end of the gas tank.

It isn't nearly as bad if the car is level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts