Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought my daughter a new 21 Venue Denim last year. It currently has 4,000 miles on it. My daughter went today to get gas for her car and the fuel tank door wouldn't pop open. The lever that pops the door open no longer seems to work. Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, what was the problem? Dealer said they never heard of this before and she would have to drop the car off for a few days. Trying to avoid leaving it if it's an easy fix.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2023 Elantra Hybrid Limited
103 Posts
What does the lever do? Not move, move but not pop the door? It's possible it is working and the door is just not opening. So I'd have her pull the lever and have someone push on and try to gently pull it out. Sometimes they stick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the lever moves but it doesn't engage the mechanism that pops open the door. I'm not sure if it's a wiring issue or mechanical. So you mean someone push on it while she pulls the lever?

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, the lever moves but it doesn't engage the mechanism that pops open the door. I'm not sure if it's a wiring issue or mechanical. So you mean someone push on it while she pulls the lever?

Thanks!
Yeah, gently, also feel if anything happens at the door. If that doesn't work try "prying" the door open as she pulls on it. Something might be jammed. On my Elantra, it's a little button that's spring-loaded and a clip that holds the door closed. If that button doesn't move and I let go of the lever, the door would still be locked. It's a little piston in a sleeve, so easy enough to get dirty and not move. When I pull the handle, it sure feels like a mechanical, not electronic mechanism. So I'm thinking something is just stuck there and a little convincing of it might move it. Also, if she wants to try it by herself, just bang on the door with her hand, then try the lever. Never underestimate a little gentle bang to get a mechanism to unjam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, gently, also feel if anything happens at the door. If that doesn't work try "prying" the door open as she pulls on it. Something might be jammed. On my Elantra, it's a little button that's spring-loaded and a clip that holds the door closed. If that button doesn't move and I let go of the lever, the door would still be locked. It's a little piston in a sleeve, so easy enough to get dirty and not move. When I pull the handle, it sure feels like a mechanical, not electronic mechanism. So I'm thinking something is just stuck there and a little convincing of it might move it. Also, if she wants to try it by herself, just bang on the door with her hand, then try the lever. Never underestimate a little gentle bang to get a mechanism to unjam.
Thank you! We will try it.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
There is usually a manual release that may be hidden in your storage area...a "T" handle kinda thing in the back behind the fill door but inside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is usually a manual release that may be hidden in your storage area...a "T" handle kinda thing in the back behind the fill door but inside.
Thanks! yes the Hyundai dealer said for her to look for that. I looked in my Toyota and found it because I was curious. Very cool and I never knew that was a thing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Silly Hyundai appear to not have "handled" this situation.

Page 5-33 of owner manual only tell how open door in everyday fashion, along with all the refuel warnings, gas cans, cell phones, keep hand on vehicle.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have not had this problem, but on another Venue board I belong to, several people have reported the same problem. I suspect Hyundai is aware of it by now, even if your particular dealer hasn't seen it yet. Definitely take it to the dealer if you can't fix it yourself. Make them give you a loaner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, mine doesn't have that.
My daughter lives in another city so I don't know if she has checked for that. In my Toyota it's a plastic panel right behind the gas tank that you can pry open with a screwdriver and then there is a lever inside that you pull that will pop open the fuel door. If you don't see that panel in the back of the car then maybe it's under where the spare tire is?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not had this problem, but on another Venue board I belong to, several people have reported the same problem. I suspect Hyundai is aware of it by now, even if your particular dealer hasn't seen it yet. Definitely take it to the dealer if you can't fix it yourself. Make them give you a loaner.
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling this wasn't an isolated thing because the car is practically brand new; no rust or any body damage that would contribute to the door being stuck. Seems like an inherent issue with the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My daughter lives in another city so I don't know if she has checked for that. In my Toyota it's a plastic panel right behind the gas tank that you can pry open with a screwdriver and then there is a lever inside that you pull that will pop open the fuel door. If you don't see that panel in the back of the car then maybe it's under where the spare tire is?
I double-checked the manual, there is no alternative method to open the filler door. I also see no alternatives in the trunk for doing so either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I double-checked the manual, there is no alternative method to open the filler door. I also see no alternatives in the trunk for doing so either.
Perhaps it was left out of the manual? I don't know. The guy at the dealership told us to look for one so I thought maybe he would know but maybe they left it out of this model. ugh

·
Registered
85 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me, or maybe it's the crook in me. I opened my gas door using an old plastic card. Slide it in where shown in the pic, then push hard and wiggle it. I tried it many times to be sure it worked repeatedly. There was no damage.
Liquid Automotive lighting Gas Tints and shades Electric blue

·
Registered
18 Posts
you can lubricate the cable and assy.... however use the Hyundai Warranty and take it back to them, if they can't fix it out of 3 tries ya get a new vehicle...my wife's Santa Fe has the light touch push and the door opens feature, little lube took care of her problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you can lubricate the cable and assy.... however use the Hyundai Warranty and take it back to them, if they can't fix it out of 3 tries ya get a new vehicle...my wife's Santa Fe has the light touch push and the door opens feature, little lube took care of her problem.
Thank you!

And btw, went to visit her yesterday and both Hyundai service people were wrong: there is NO manual release for he fuel door in the back of the Venue. tsk tsk...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you!

And btw, went to visit her yesterday and both Hyundai service people were wrong: there is NO manual release for he fuel door in the back of the Venue. tsk tsk...
My wife's 2021 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate doesn't even have a cabin handle with cable release, you just lightly push in on the fuel door and it pops open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We bought my daughter a new 21 Venue Denim last year. It currently has 4,000 miles on it. My daughter went today to get gas for her car and the fuel tank door wouldn't pop open. The lever that pops the door open no longer seems to work. Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, what was the problem? Dealer said they never heard of this before and she would have to drop the car off for a few days. Trying to avoid leaving it if it's an easy fix.

Thanks.
I'm not familiar with your particular setup but I know on many cars a way to open the gas door is to slip a credit card into the gap between the body and the door where the latch is. If you get it between the latch pin and the catch it should pop open.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts