Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I present this issue to the dealership, I would like some knowledgeable feedback.
2017 Tuscon Sport, 1.6L Turbo
Fuel Tank capacity 16.4 gallons
At fuel-up, the trip computer reads I have 13 miles remaining before theoretically running out of fuel. This is validated with the low fuel warning light illuminated and fuel needle. After topping off, the amount of fuel serviced was 13.7 gallons. If my math is correct, that would indicate that 2.7 gallons remained in the tank at the time the trip computer read that I only had 13 miles of fuel remaining. At the very least, that would equate to 67.5 miles of addition fuel remaining in the tank, at 25MPG. This scenario has been repeated at every fueling since purchase Is it possible that the trip computer is somehow not calibrated to the tank capacity of 16.4? I cannot imagine that Hyundai would engineer that amount of fuel (over 2 gal) to remain in the tank with the computer reading that its about to run to zero.

Again, I want to present this issue to the dealership as a possible software problem but would like some background or feedback before doing so. I also have pictures but are to large for this format

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Sonata, not a Tucson, but it behaves in a similar manner. Given your gauge said you had 13 miles left, that represents another 1/2 gallon of fuel, meaning you'd have about a 2.2 gallon reserve (or a little over 50 miles of highway range) before running out of gas. Personally I'm glad they are a little conservative with the DTE estimate. I know roughly how far I could go in a pinch if I'm low on fuel and it keeps me from pushing the limits to far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here. New used 2017Tucson....have filled up twice with 25 miles to empty and only can put in 13 gallons. What did the dealer say?

·
Registered
373 Posts
What you are seeing is not an 'issue'. It's good design on behalf of the manufacturer. If your car actually stopped at exactly 0 miles to go, some idiot would complain. So the manufacturer allows for idiots to get close to or even beyond 0 miles left. Better that way round than running out early !

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is really a storm in a tea cup and may well be an attempt by Hyundai to protect careless drivers from running out of fuel.
In some countries it may be against the law to run out of fuel.
It may well be that having a few gallons of fuel in the tank will aid cooling of the fuel pump.
It would not be good practice to allow the pump to suck up any crap from the bottom of the tank and clog the filter. The pump may not even be able to excess a lower volume of fuel in the tank. Please tell us what the dealer says.

·
Registered
504 Posts
At the very least, that would equate to 67.5 miles of addition fuel remaining in the tank, at 25MPG.

Based on a full tank range of 400 miles that's about 15% on the conservative side.
Variations between level senders, fuel tanks and the MPG calculation might amount to 10%.
The mfg wants to make sure an individual vehicle is on the wrong side of the estimate.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It boggles the mind this keeps coming up. The DTE estimate is just that, an estimate. How many mile could you have driven before that 13 changed to 12, 5, 10, 20?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the same issue with 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

Hyundai consumer affairs and dealership both tell me it's "performing as designed" HOWEVER it was NOT performing that way before... I know how it should perform.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't forget - Tank capacity includes fuel expansion gap

Hi all,

Instead of chasing a few more kms out of the dwindling fuel 'reserve'..... try filling the tank :| - I have found mine takes another 5Ltrs past the first click-off point due to an air-bubble. I trickle the last 5 Ltrs of fuel in slowly and when I drive away, the fuel gauge is just slightly above the full mark, so the tank still has an air gap for expansion, and I have max fuel load......

I wouldn't trust the DTE at very low levels..... fuel sloshes around and the reading will suddenly change - I've seen that on my motorcycle, gave me a fright, thinking ok got 30kms..... then round a corner, recals to 50kms, then settles and says 10kms...... not worth pushing your luck...... better to fill it consistently full and refill when the light says 'reserve' (or sooner).

It's too hot to walk.....:laugh: (and not worth causing traffic grid-lock)

Ps These days I tend to refuel when I notice fuel prices are at the bottom end of the roller-coaster price cycle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts