Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2015 Elantra SE (for US market) here that I could never get the FUEL system completed.
Need it complete to go to smog check.
Usually Fuel system is the first to get completed. Now even the Evap is complete but it still isn't.
I have disconnected battery when I was doing some repair. Since then I have touched nothing.
This is strange. Just wanted to see if this is a known problem, or I should disconnect battery or clear code (even there is no code) to restart the emission cycle. Or I heard something about the ECU reflash, which is nothing to do with this, right?

Screenshot_20200210-094940.jpg

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you recently disconnected your battery, you need to drive the car for around 100 miles or cycle the engine (so many on and off) so the computer can complete its self diagnostic. Otherwise you will fail the smog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. I have been to a few of these rodeos. Usually fuel monitor is the first to complete, then the cat and O2 are usually taking their time. This is the first I have seen that the fuel monitor doesn't get completed for this long. Maybe something got stuck... or firmware problem...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Feel free to disconnect your battery again and drive it for 100 miles for several days then check it after.

What did you repair needing to disconnect the battery? Do you have the CEL on?

·
Registered
501 Posts
A five year old elantra should not have much issues. My 2014 only needed a new battery on its 3rd year. That is the only time I needed to disconnect its battery.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
You don't say where you are.
In New York State, it is possible to pass inspection if the check engine light is off and only one readiness monitor is off.
Don't know about your state.
Fuel system is usually one of the first to set.
Find out the parameters and see if you have met them.

Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm... "O2 sensor in closed loop." That means me wonder.
I just did more scanning. There is no DTC and everything runs fine. The fuel system is in closed loop after warming up. Still I have a FUEL MONITOR incomplete.
I totally agree it should be the first to set.
I am in CA. We need all but Evap to complete to have a chance to pass smog.

IMG_20200214_092142.jpg

The first sensor output is B1S1. 2nd sensor output is B1S2.
I thought the B1S1 would go up and down like a sine wave even when RPM is steady. Anyone seeing problem here that B1S1 is not reading right?
Man, I need Pine Hollow Diagnostic or Scanner Danner.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before replacing it, I want to make sure.
Is there any situation that it would not fluctuate?
Would it be bad and still not give a code?

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
You may have a Wide Band O2 for the primary one. That should yeild a near steady signal I would guess. It has 5 wires vs 4 wires for the standard O2s.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeap, it is a wide band (according to Amazon item description). It has 5 wires. It is supposed to measure current, not voltage.
I was looking at the OBD PIDs. I need to see the vehicle specific PID (later today) but it does not look like the cause of my problem. Maybe I will keep on driving and see.
So much to learn with modern engine management.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Try reseating the O2 sensor connection and any other sensor relating to fuel that you disconnected when you did the tranny swap. Make sure you hear it all click. Wow, new tranny already on a 2015? How many miles when it died? Did the same job a year ago on my '99 odyssey @226K. Got a reman from ebay with 2 year warranty. Dyno tested. So far so good.

Its possible you may have accidentally pulled the wiring a little too hard damaging it. Or its just coincidental that the O2 sensor is failing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2015 with 135k. Bought it cheap because transmission only did reverse no forward.
After transmission is replaced, adaptation reset (still need to do relearn thou), car runs fine. Then, engine misfired. Replaced all ignition coils and spark plugs. So far so good.
Anyway, I double-checked all connections. All good. There is no code either. So, just keep on driving I guess. I will report back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No but I will.
Usually Fuel monitoring is the first to set, within a few miles if not immediately. Cat and O2 are the two last (except evap which fuel tank has to be 3/4 to 1/4 but in CA, we don't care.)
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts