Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the oil changed yesterday and the shop recommended a fuel system cleaning. I forget the name of the specific process, but it sounded like it cleaned under pressure. These folks do good work and don't usually push extra services, so I wondered if it might be useful? I didn't have it done as I wanted to do some research first. Any thoughts about this?

By the way, I'm going to change engine and cabin air filters. I have a link for the cabin filter, but not the engine. Can someone recommend an engine filter on eBay? I don't care if it's OEM.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
I had the oil changed yesterday and the shop recommended a fuel system cleaning. I forget the name of the specific process, but it sounded like it cleaned under pressure. These folks do good work and don't usually push extra services, so I wondered if it might be useful? I didn't have it done as I wanted to do some research first. Any thoughts about this?
So long as it's preformed by running the cleaner through the fuel line at the intake it works. What was their reason for recommending it? Mileage?

By the way, I'm going to change engine and cabin air filters. I have a link for the cabin filter, but not the engine. Can someone recommend an engine filter on eBay? I don't care if it's OEM.
We just used Fram from local jobber. They are all paper filters and work.
BTW...I like that title... :)

·
Premium Member
2017 Elantra SE, Popular and Tech Packages
198 Posts
If you use Top Tier gasoline consistently, a fuel system cleaner additive is not necessary. However, if you're not able to consistently get Top Tier gas, then I would recommend using a fuel system cleaner once every other oil change or so. Fuel system cleaners with P.E.A. are recommended, such as Chevron Techron, Redline SI-1, etc.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
If you use Top Tier gasoline consistently, a fuel system cleaner additive is not necessary. However, if you're not able to consistently get Top Tier gas, then I would recommend using a fuel system cleaner once every other oil change or so. Fuel system cleaners with P.E.A. are recommended, such as Chevron Techron, Redline SI-1, etc.
Top tier gas....Do they all use top tier gas stations? Ones where the water and other non gasoline products are removed before leaving the pump nozzle?

I had customers who put various additives in the tank and in time they needed fuel injector service just like the customers who didn't spend their money on the additives.

Just a thought.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Elantra SE, Popular and Tech Packages
198 Posts
Top tier gas....Do they all use top tier gas stations? Ones where the water and other non gasoline products are removed before leaving the pump nozzle?

I had customers who put various additives in the tank and in time they needed fuel injector service just like the customers who didn't spend their money on the additives.

Just a thought.
Top tier gasoline has nothing to do with water removal or any sort of non-gasoline material removal. Rather, top tier gasoline requires the gasoline to maintain higher levels of detergent additives that result in higher standards of engine and fuel system cleanliness.

Here is the list of Top Tier licensed brands:
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Important to note, not all fuel system cleaners are considered equal. Whether your engine is MPI or GDI, which type of fuel injectors your engine uses, and other variables should be accounted for when finding the most effective fuel injector cleaner for your application. As I said in my previous post, for the AD, cleaners containing P.E.A. are recommended (which is part of the reason Hyundai recommends Techron- Techron contains some of the highest amounts of P.E.A. when compared to similar products).

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

I buy oem on eBay for maybe $2.00 more than the others including free shipping. As far as the cabin filter, I buy them on eBay also gut generic.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Top tier gasoline has nothing to do with water removal or any sort of non-gasoline material removal.

That's kind of my point. Those tanks (station storage tanks) get water and other stuff in them over time and the pumps are pretty well all the same and don't remove water and most anything else.

Rather, top tier gasoline requires the gasoline to maintain higher levels of detergent additives that result in higher standards of engine and fuel system cleanliness.

Here is the list of Top Tier licensed brands:
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Looks like just about every brand is covered. May be easier to list the non-compliant ones. :laugh:

I don't know of any Corporation that goes above the government EPA standards in their refining process. As for blended fuels they are state by state and I don't know of any that go above and beyond the state standards. That would not be good business.

Important to note, not all fuel system cleaners are considered equal. Whether your engine is MPI or GDI, which type of fuel injectors your engine uses, and other variables should be accounted for when finding the most effective fuel injector cleaner for your application. As I said in my previous post, for the AD, cleaners containing P.E.A. are recommended (which is part of the reason Hyundai recommends Techron- Techron contains some of the highest amounts of P.E.A. when compared to similar products).
My experience with in tank additives is mixed. I know guys that added to every fill up and those who added a couple times a year. Didn't seem to make much difference in the long run with the exception of their bank balances.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
:thumbsup::grin:

Yes, the car is approaching 30K
I wouldn't do it until at least twice that mileage, actually 80K is not letting it go to long. You can buy steak diners for a week.:laugh:

Reactions: mmahamm

·
22,793 Posts
Techron. Wally World: $4.94: Black bottle for fuel treatment. There is also a Gray bottle for injector cleaner. Not familiar with this. Add about every 8-10k miles. Only because Hyundai has it listed in the OM. Top Tier gasoline, and Go! Never looked back, never had any fuel-related issue in 3 Limited’s over a 9 year span. So.......:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts