Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2011 Elantra (39.5K miles) sputtered and shut off the other day. I think it was just a fluke, but I remembered that the owners manual recommended a fuel system cleaner/additive every so often.

Generally, I don't subscribe to the notion that fuel system cleaners are necessary if you run good/quality gas, which I do most of the time. However, it seems like I'm always reading these glowing reviews of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, and how the idle was smoother and /or gas mileage went up, etc after it was used.

So, just wondering if you guys had a good/bad experience with Chevron Techron? I went ahead and bought a bottle. Figured it can't hurt -I've wasted $6 plenty of times.

BTW, I hear the Techron stuff is already in their gasoline, but I can't seem to find a station that is convenient to my location.

Thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
907 Posts
If the car randomly shut off, you might have bigger problems. Ran any ECU updated lately? Any DTC codes?

Techron is the same as the OEM Hyundai fuel additive, so it is good stuff according to Hyundai. If you have been using "top-tier" gas, then you should be fine and the random shutoff may have been caused by something else...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I agree. If there's an underlying issue I don't think the fuel system cleaner will fix it. The sputter/turning off actually just reminded me to use a system cleaner.

With that said, the sputter/shut off happened at startup in aparking lot the other day. Car had plenty of gas and engine was at operating temeperature (had only been off for about 10 minutes). No CELs or anything before, during or after. Car has never ran "funny". After it shut off, the car cranked up normally and idled smooth. Turned the AC on and idle remained smooth. No acceleration issues either, so IDK I'm okay calling it a fluke for the time being.

Actually, I just remembered, but the same thing happened the 1st day I had it (the car cranked up, but sputtered and shut off about 5 seconds later). I remember freaking out because it only had like 40 mile son it at the time, but it's never done it since then and figured it was due to cheap, bad gas that the dealer put in.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know if our cars have a user-replaceable fuel filter? Or is it one of those filters that's a part of the fuel pump/sending unit, where you basically have to drop the tank?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Three key words.
I would say it's probably 90-95% of the time, so maybe "vast majority" is the better phrase to use here. The only time cheap, non-branded gas gets used is if I'm somewhere (usually out of town) and happen to be low. I mainly use Shell, but the current tank is from a BP station.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the car randomly shut off, you might have bigger problems. Ran any ECU updated lately? Any DTC codes?

Techron is the same as the OEM Hyundai fuel additive, so it is good stuff according to Hyundai. If you have been using "top-tier" gas, then you should be fine and the random shutoff may have been caused by something else...
I agree with mrm256. Techron is very good stuff. My dad was a driver for Chevron many years ago so he swears by it. He also told me to never get gas when the truck is unloading. All the sediments from the bottom of the tank get stirred up and end up in your tank/filter.

I personally put in a fuel cleaner every 4000 (lucas) in my car. I drive alot so that is why i do it often.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
BTW, I hear the Techron stuff is already in their gasoline,
You can not be sure WHAT is in the gas you get most of the time.

And fuel deposits will form over time anyway because the amount in the gas is pretty low.

I use it regularly......like every oil change, which is about 6K miles.

I don't think it will solve your present problem though.

·
Registered
10 Posts

^^this^^

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Start with simple removal of negative cable at body,, gring the paint off (paint is an insulator, not a conductor) to bare steel, slap some anti-seize on the bare metal, and re-attach the cable end.

Save your $6 for food or fuel.

Fault code search with GDS be an option, but susoect nothing be recovered.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Does anyone know if our cars have a user-replaceable fuel filter? Or is it one of those filters that's a part of the fuel pump/sending unit, where you basically have to drop the tank?

I do not believe the filter is serviceable as it is part of the fuel pump assemby inside the fuel tank as you surmised.

·
22,792 Posts
I buy the 20 oz. Techron concentrate whenever the local auto stores offer it as a BOGO. Put 1/2 the bottle in my tank every 7-8,000 miles. Save the rest for wife's Tucson.

Several reasons: Hyundai recommends it, $6 for 40 oz. isn't gonna put me in the poorhouse and gives me an excuse to go to an auto parts candy store (like I need an excuse!). Doing this also allows me to hold the purchase evidence under the nose of the service writer that wants to charge me $30 for doing what I'm perfectly capable of doing...at a fraction of the cost. Lastly, Ingrid falls in the category of a pampered, spoiled little girl. And that's fine with me! ;)

There are two schools of thought: 1. You should do it because it's a manufacturer recommended service or, 2. It's a waste of time and money. Ultimately, this decision is up to you. Is the fuel system gonna fall apart because you DON'T do it? Highly doubtful.

For the record, I use Shell 100% gas. Certainly, a top-tier fuel.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Even without a check engine light, it may be worth the time to see if there are any "pending" codes. Most OBDII readers will show them if they are generic and not Hyundai-specific fault codes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even without a check engine light, it may be worth the time to see if there are any "pending" codes. Most OBDII readers will show them if they are generic and not Hyundai-specific fault codes.
Huh, really?

I consider myself a gearhead, and I did not know that. I just assumed a code would always trigger the light. I have an OBD2 BT adapter so I'll check it today. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Start with simple removal of negative cable at body,, gring the paint off (paint is an insulator, not a conductor) to bare steel, slap some anti-seize on the bare metal, and re-attach the cable end.

Save your $6 for food or fuel.

Fault code search with GDS be an option, but susoect nothing be recovered.
This is something I did in the past when I had a similar problem. Eventually I found it was my battery which I replaced months ago and no issues since.
Check the ground first which is no cost and next suspect the battery.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Clean ground point at left frame rail, and at right strut tower.. I gots an engine out right now for pistons and rings.. it smokes.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts