Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Hyundai manual indicates we should include Fuel Additives as a regular part of our maintenance, and I have been told by others that this is indeed important for our GDI engines. I compared the labels and MSDS of both the Hyundai 00232-19047 and Chevron Complete 20 oz Fuel System Cleaner and they appear to be the same.

About every 3-4 months Advance Auto Parts offers a half-price sale on the Chevron Complete 20 oz cleaner/additive. June appears to be one of those months.

To keep the maintenance routine easy, I add it to the gas tank every time I change my motor oil.

Reactions: Johns2.0T

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
only if you dont use tier 1 fuel. which is all over the place. some places-phillips 66, shell, etc offer more than the federal madates.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes that Fuel system cleaner is recommended to use. but Just as important is using a Quality Synthetic grade engine oil & changing it regularly. at keeping carbon build up off the valves.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I cannot find Techron anywhere in Canada. I drove all the way to BC and their Chevron gas stations don't even sell bottled Techron.

So I use "CRC one-tank power renew" with every oil change. From the MSDS it's basically Techron.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I cannot find Techron anywhere in Canada. I drove all the way to BC and their Chevron gas stations don't even sell bottled Techron.

So I use "CRC one-tank power renew" with every oil change. From the MSDS it's basically Techron.
check with Your Local Hyundai dealer mine carries it. if they don't than a few tanks of top tier fuel like shells V-power is a great cleaner to use it has 5X the cleaning detergent vs using any other top tier fuel. other option would be using a strong concentrated fuel system cleaner that's very safe but affective like BG 44k it's a professional grade pour in the tank cleaner good for about 15.000 km's

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Save your money, waste of time and money to add the additive. What's it going to clean????? Cleaner in the fuel is all that one needs.

More than anything, it's only the user that feels better about the use of the product..

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Cleaner in the fuel isn't enough. Even toptier has limitations.
It cleans piston tops, injectors, combustion chambers...

PEA based cleaners are the current fad. PIBA, solvents, distillates, alcohols, esters..... still work well. And, its why I don't order 10 of anything. I rotate among the common brands of FI cleaners available... RoyalPurple, RedLine, Amsoil, Chevron, BG, Lubegard, Shell, CRC, Gunk, 3m, STP, Berryman, Seafoam .....

Looks like the CRC 1-tank Renew has PEA. No need to try to track down anything else.

Just dumped a bottle of 1ndone in the 2.4GDI. Also picked up a spray can cleaner for my next IVD and port cleanup.

GDI injectors get dirty quick. One of my cars, not Hyundai, has self cleaning DI injectors and dual injection(MPFI + GDI). Since my Hyundai/Kia doesn't, I run a few tanks a year with FI cleaner and minimally a yearly IVD cleaning.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've been using Techron for 35+ years. Historically once a year.
My experience is it really works.
With my '88 Accord I once stopped using it as an experiment.
After ~2 years the idle started to get "lumpy".
Poured a bottle in and it smoothed out within 20 miles.
I've used it in lawn mowers and chain saws that act up.
Even though I almost always use Top Tier in my Tucson, I still use Techron every oil change as a hedge.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Some people claim that PEA additives are not burned off and actually help clean valve tops even in GDI engines. They say that since PEA is not being burned, it enters the crankcase as blow-by, then it reaches the valve tops through the PCV system. Sounds like a stretch to me...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts