Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New to the community, hoping to get some help for my GF's 2016 Sonata Sport (non-turbo). Recently the car has had a really bad fuel smell in the cabin and outside the vehicle when its driven or turned on. The issue began out of no where and no check engine light has clicked off. You even get the strong fuel smell when the car has been parked and shut off after a drive. At times, the car will idle roughly during initial startup.

The smell appears to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, my assumption is that its a fuel evaporation system issue. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Or could give some insight as to what to look for or check when diagnosing this problem? I'm hoping this is a common issue that can be resolved quickly.

I've popped the hood to check for any signs of fuel leaking and noticed nothing. The car is also not leaking fuel onto the floor. Not sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated! Thanks everyone.

Registered
Is it still under warranty? Is it after a fill up? Does it change depending on fuel level? could be a filler tube connection, evap system problem, fuel lines, a slight leak in the tank.

Registered
You could buy some UV fuel leak detection dye at the parts store. I don't think a mechanic would take long to find if they have a hydrocarbon sniffer. I'll bet it's coming from the high pressure fuel pump.

Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
If it is the emission system (carbon canister, evap system etc) it is covered by Hyundai under the 8 yr, 80,000 mile federal emissions warranty or f your in California it is 7 yr 70,000 mile.

So if it turns out to be any emissions problems get it repaired free by Hyundai

1 - 4 of 4 Posts