Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This weekend, we started noticing a pretty distinctive fuel smell in the cabin of our 2005 Hyundai Tucson (about 90k miles). I've noticed over the last few months the fuel economy take a hit and we actually have an appointment with our mechanic on Wednesday to do a fuel system service where they clean the injectors and what not. I was also going to have them replace the fuel filter as well while we had it there.

Ironically, this was scheduled prior to us noticing the fuel smell this weekend. From what I understand, this vehicle has a reputation for fuel system issues (fuel pump seems common, but doesn't seem related to this issue), so I thought it would be a good idea to do a little preventative maintenance on the problem area.

A few things to note:

- We got a Service Engine light a few weeks ago which was determined to be a "Cylinder 6 Misfire". I chalked it up to a bad spark plug, as they've never been replaced and the vehicle is at about 90k miles. These are also going to be replaced on Wednesday.
- A cursory look under the vehicle while it's running doesn't show any fuel leakage. But my look was cursory at best, I'm definitely no mechanic and didn't actually trace fuel lines or anything like that. I'm pretty confident we've got nothing leaking though, as I haven't seen any evidence of puddles in our driveway.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Some quick googling shows that dirty or stuck injectors can indeed cause a fuel smell in the vehicle, so I'm hoping that's all it ends up being. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Unless you use the cheapest gas you can find, I'm not sure you have dirty fuel injectors. I learned my lesson years ago about using inferior fuel. They may all use the same basic gasoline, but each company has a different additive package they mix in with it. Cheap gasoline caused me problems in another car years ago, so I generally stick to major brands. Our Hyundais don't like Chevron too much, although they will run okay with it, but they do very well on Shell, Exxon, and BP.

If you want to clean the injectors, go to Wal Mart or Advance Auto Parts and get a can of Seafoam. Put it in the fuel tank when you fill up (use a funnel). Let it run through the tank. It works best at the start of a highway trip where it constantly flows through the system before it has a chance to evaporate (after all, it's a mix of volatile hydrocarbons).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (DSHornet @ Dec 13 2010, 11:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379554
Unless you use the cheapest gas you can find, I'm not sure you have dirty fuel injectors. I learned my lesson years ago about using inferior fuel. They may all use the same basic gasoline, but each company has a different additive package they mix in with it. Cheap gasoline caused me problems in another car years ago, so I generally stick to major brands. Our Hyundais don't like Chevron too much, although they will run okay with it, but they do very well on Shell, Exxon, and BP.

If you want to clean the injectors, go to Wal Mart or Advance Auto Parts and get a can of Seafoam. Put it in the fuel tank when you fill up (use a funnel). Let it run through the tank. It works best at the start of a highway trip where it constantly flows through the system before it has a chance to evaporate (after all, it's a mix of volatile hydrocarbons).
Nothing but Shell and Exxon gas in this vehicle for the most part.

Thanks for the Seafoam suggestion, I'll keep that in mind. Depending on what the mechanic finds on Wednesday, we may or may not go ahead with the fuel system service. If not, I'll definitely have to give this a go in the meantime.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You dont need fuel injection service... that's a transfer device........... transfer $$$ from your wallet to their pockets..

Todays gasoline has everything you need. I have 331,000 on my TOYOTA, never seen a injection service, just lots of clean fuel over the years... gonna put another 11+ gallon in it in the morning, then 33 mile down interstate to work.

Replace the plugs and wire set while apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts