Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a hyundai sonata 1995 model. the car struggles a lot to stay at idle and it shakes quite a bit. a friend of mine thought it could have something to do with the fuel system. the car stalled and would not start again. I changed the fuel pump and the car started again but it still struggles to stay at idle and shakes. seems like it only runs on 2 cylinders. can anyone help?

·
Registered
2001 Sonata GLS 2.5L 2007 Santa Fe 3.3L 2013 Veloster Manual NA 1.6L
62 Posts
Maybe a bad coil. Have you unplugged spark plug wires while running to see if it gets worse or not? What about the fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi i have a hyundai sonata 1995 model. the car struggles a lot to stay at idle and it shakes quite a bit. a friend of mine thought it could have something to do with the fuel system. the car stalled and would not start again. I changed the fuel pump and the car started again but it still struggles to stay at idle and shakes. seems like it only runs on 2 cylinders. can anyone help?
Maybe a bad coil. Have you unplugged spark plug wires while running to see if it gets worse or not? What about the fuel pressure regulator?
thank you for your reply :) I have changed the coil too. I disconnected 2 spark plug wires and it continued to idle. the other 2 then the car stopped. where is the fuel pressure regulator located?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you mean you disconnected each spark plug wire individually and that 2, when disconnected individually, did not affect the engine but when any of the other 2, when disconnected individually, did stop the engine?
Maybe you have bad plugs or bad spark plug wires. Also you might check your new coil as per this diagram
Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram Auto part

As for the fuel pressure regulator, if your engine is the Y2-EF it's kinda here:
Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Rim

but

·
Registered
62 Posts
You must not have the Y2-EF 6 cylnder then. I have the V6. Still sounds like a bad coil if your 4 cylinder uses the same "shared coil" that the V6 does, i.e., each coil serves 2 spark plugs... not sure if it does, though.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
the same "shared coil" that the V6 does, i.e., each coil serves 2 spark plugs.
Nope.
V6 on Y2 & Y3 Sonata has traditional distributor and single coil, no wasted spark system with 3 coils.
I4 engine has 2 coils, that is correct.

I4 engine has a setup like

Eng. Ecu -> power transistor module (2 power transistors inside, one for each coil) -> coils -> plugs

So if the swapping of coils didn't help (no spark from one of the coils), likely the power transistor module is faulty. It sits a bit below the upper timing belt cover, facing the firewall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope.
V6 on Y2 & Y3 Sonata has traditional distributor and single coil, no wasted spark system with 3 coils.
I4 engine has 2 coils, that is correct.

I4 engine has a setup like

Eng. Ecu -> power transistor module (2 power transistors inside, one for each coil) -> coils -> plugs

So if the swapping of coils didn't help (no spark from one of the coils), likely the power transistor module is faulty. It sits a bit below the upper timing belt cover, facing the firewall.
thanks for the reply :) my father also thought it could be the module but I have searched online but it seems that it is difficult to buy it. Do you know where to buy the module? b602 it says on the mondule

1 - 13 of 13 Posts