Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2003 accent stopped running about a week ago and the fuel pump wasn't kicking on so I figured the fuel pump just quit so I replaced it. The fuel pump still doesn't kick on so I changed out the relay hoping it would just be that and it still won't work. I grabbed a paper clip and put it in the top two prong holes where the relay sticks into and that made the fuel pump turn on. Put the relay back in and it still wont make the fuel pump click on. I used a test light and when the key is in the on position I am getting power to my very top hole my two bottom side holes but the bottom right is very dim compared to the others. Can someone point me in the right direction on what to do next? I have a multimeter if you want me to tell the voltages of each prong hole

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Putting in the paper clip and having the fuel pump turn on
Means that the load side of the circuit is working
Fuel pump is working

The ignition or control side is not working.
Having a very dim test point on the relay socket
Probably means there is either a semi-short or high resistance in the line
You will need a schematic to track down where it comes from
And find out what to test next

Good luck

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,118 Posts
Hi Alex, welcome to the forum 00000732

You've done a good job up to this point with your diagnosis of the non start. You've identified that the fuel pump isn't being switched on...good stuff.

When diagnosing a non start you should always start by checking that the fuel pump switches on (tick) and that the ignition coil is producing spark???

If you find you have no spark and the fuel pump wont switch on DURING CRANK, you probably have a problem with the crank position sensor circuit.

Did you try to start the engine with the paper clip in place? Did it start? If not the problem probably has nothing to do with the pump relay circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for responding. I have just tried starting the car with the paper clip in place and it still did not start. Getting spark but not really consistently.

And note, the fuel pump does not click on with the turn of the key. I'm no sure if I mentioned it before or not.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Does the engine check light come on when you switch the ignition on?
Have you checked the 3 ECU fuses on the engine bay fusebox? Also make sure all 3 of those fuses have a good 12V supply when the ignition is switched on.
Test the fuses by touching your test light/meter probe onto the little metal tabs on top of each fuse. You should get 12V on each tab (2 on each fuse).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem but mine is a 2004 Accent Gt all my fuses are good but on the same pin number 86 it is drawing 3.8 volts and from my understanding that it has to be none it needs to be grounded to complete the circuit with in the relay I have turn the complete wiring harness in the engine compartment and still have yet to find out where or where I might find what it so I can bypass the wire witch I trace so far to the grommet on the fire wall replaced all relays checked and recheck the fuses

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
on the same pin number 86 it is drawing 3.8 volts and from my understanding that it has to be none it needs to be grounded to complete the circuit with in the relay
Yes, it needs to be grounded to complete the circuit.

But that will only happen while the engine is cranking/running. And that is assuming the engine PCM knows that the engine is cranking /running. If the PCM isn't getting a signal from the crank position sensor, it won't know that the engine is cranking/running so it wont ground that terminal to switch the fuel pump on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is to let you all know I have yet to find the problem and to let you a one sure way to find out if it is a sensor or relay is with no power on and you still have power at pin 86 is that it is shorting out off of a hot at all times wire and if it is a sensor or relay or fuse some other would only have power when the switch or power is on that put power into the system that indicate that it is in that part of the system jest to let you know when I disconnect the ecm relay so far is the only time I have no power to the pin and another way to find out is if you have a good obd2 reader and go through the system with the key on and go through the system and this will tell you witch sensors are not reading by going down the list you will not get a reading also by cranking over the engine will when cranking and get an rpm reading that the crank sensor is working so for all of you before buying any relays or and have a no fuel problem try the test with a good vom meter also use the fuel pump jumper and get no reading and jest the person that used a jumper pin between pins 86 and 85 or a fuse can cause a fire or burn more wires by causing more heat into wire will could make more wire problems by reading my 2 post would or should help any back yard mechanic on the right path of trouble shooting I might have a 2004 but I have had it for 5years with good gas mileage never had any problems until now and this one got me good when I find the problem will be my last post but this should help others in trouble shooting thank you for reading

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
brandyman, I think you consumed one too many glasses of brandy before making that last post.

Any chance of you retyping all that but with some punctuation?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts