Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Elantra GT. Car wouldn't start. Cranked but wouldn't turn over. I pulled up back seat and hit top of fuel pump assembly with a crowbar and car started. I knew I had to replace but car drove fine for several days. I got a new pump (not the whole assembly. Just the pump) from Advance Auto and put it in. Car started but was really unreliable; wouldn't accelerate well, didn't respond for 5 seconds after pressing the pedal and sputtered. Then it stopped starting. I tried another brand of pump from Auto Zone. Car would not start at all. I put in the old pump again and the car ran great! At least for a few days. Now it finally died. Right before it died I heard the sound from the pump change and make different sounds, but it was obvious something bad was happening. Finally, the engine wouldn't start. I tried hitting in again but nothing happened. What do you think?

Going by the fact that it worked fine (at least for a few days) when I put the old pump back in, I'm thinking the problem is the pump and I should get an OEM Hyundai fuel pump instead of the auto store Chinese pumps. Still, it seems more than coincidental that two different new pumps didn't work. My second hypothesis is that maybe I should replace the whole fuel pump assembly, as maybe the wiring is off somewhere. Btw, the relay is fine. What do you think?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,923 Posts
My second hypothesis is that maybe I should replace the whole fuel pump assembly
That would be my advise.

A lot of folk on these forums run into trouble when they disassemble the fuel tank module. At least your pump had failed so you didn't really have anything to loose by opening it. But a lot of folk open it to replace the fuel filter when their car is running great....and end up with a car that wont start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response and your advise. That's really interesting...and weird. I wonder why. Do you find that I'd be safe going with aftermarket brands from an AutoZone? Any particular brand to avoid or can trust?

That would be my advise.

A lot of folk on these forums run into trouble when they disassemble the fuel tank module. At least your pump had failed so you didn't really have anything to loose by opening it. But a lot of folk open it to replace the fuel filter when their car is running great....and end up with a car that wont start.

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
Aftermarket parts are a bit of a lottery. The only way to know for sure that your getting an OEM quality part is to by an OEM part from your Hyundai dealer. I see Delphi do a tank module for the Elantra though. Delphi are an OEM manufacturer for Hyundai so that would probably be OK. The Delphi part number is FG1344 and it's available at AutoZone. It's cheaper at Rock Auto though and they're a registered vendor on this forum, so there might be a discount available for forum members that would save you a little extra.

I just noticed there is a different tank module for cars that are designed to comply with California emissions if that's relevant to you.

RockAuto - Delphi FG1344 (Federal Emissions)
RockAuto - Delphi FG1267 (CA Emissions)

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
When you go to replace the fuel pump, you should be careful about the O rings.
And remember to replace the fuel filter.
They can be clogged with stuff thus, making the fuel pump work harder.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put in the Delphi fuel pump assembly this morning and the car started up like a champion. I wonder why the car rejected the pump itself, like a human body rejecting an organ transplant. In any case, thanks so much for the advice!

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
Great to hear that one worked for you. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts