Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, having a problem with my 2002 Santa Fe V6. The check engine light keeps coming on but then goes away after a complete fill up with gas. What has been happening is in the morning when I head to work once the car is up to temp it will miss once or sometimes twice and trigger the check engine light. Also sometimes when at a stop sign or stop light the car will just stall. Then it seems to turn over fast and then finally restart. If it is not up to temp on say a short trip it will turn over fast too and then eventually start. I had replaced the crankshaft position sensor before and also had new wires and plugs installed and recently had the alternator replaced. I checked the fuel cap also and it seems fine, the gasket looks good yet.
Any ideas?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Check your fuel pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! How do I go about that. Just a minor do it yourself kinda guy. I do notice no pressure in the fuel tank when the cap is removed. Can't say there ever was, owned the car since new. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starting to suspect the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is the problem. All the above symptoms see to have gone away. Now it just seems to be starting hard when cold. It hasn't stalled lately and seems to run pretty good most of the time.
Has anyone replaced that sensor and if so how difficult is it?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you go to Autozone, check for codes, it will help narrow it down

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will do that. The mechanic cleared all the codes when he put the alternator in and the check engine light goes out after a complete fuel fill. Will see what code it is. Will post back with results!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will do that. The mechanic cleared all the codes when he put the alternator in and the check engine light goes out after a complete fuel fill. Will see what code it is. Will post back with results!
Well of course when I started it today the check engine light was off. Talked to a Autozone guy and he said the light needs to be on to check it. Thought is was some sort of evaporator leak possibly. Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well stopped at Autozone today and did a code scan. Code came back with PO335 which is Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit. I replaced this part once before 2 years ago. Is it possible this is bad again??? Don’t put a lot of miles on maybe 8000 a year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just checked my receipt from Napa and paid $66 for the last one. Went to Rockautos website and the sensor is priced from $11 to $67, any recommendations??

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can only tell you my experience,, I bought this one on fleabay about 10K miles ago and it is still working fine.
I did slit a piece of heat resistant tubing and put it over the wire part and then over that I put very thin aluminum tape with adhesive on the back to keep the tubing on and help lower the heat exposure. Or maybe you could wrap it with tin foil and get the same result.

This same seller (from California) has the same thing but includes the extension wire that the sensor plugs into in case the wire has been toasted farther up,, mine was not damaged so didn't get it.

I would take a look at the current one first for signs of melted plastic insulation (again)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great information! I do remember that the wires on the last one I replaced were really fried. Thanks so much!! I appreciate the informative reply. Have a good one!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would take a look at the current one first for signs of melted plastic insulation (again)
I took a look at the current one and it looks to be fine. Not melted at all. I guess for less than $10 for the one on eBay it would be worth a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
You're very welcome,, just thinking you may want to check the wire harness the sensor plugs into for any damage, maybe re-seat the connector and check that the sensor is fully seated squarely and all the way in the block as far as it will go. Is this a 2.7 engine? I just assumed it was and that is what the parts links I gave are for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya I looked at the connection today and it seemed ok. Didn’t actually pull it apart but it looked secure. Yes it is the 2.7 engine. I ordered the sensor(same one you did)so that is on the way. Will look things over good when I install the new one. Not the easiest spot to get at that’s for sure. Thanks again for your input and help. Stay tuned!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you go to Autozone, check for codes, it will help narrow it down
You're very welcome,, just thinking you may want to check the wire harness the sensor plugs into for any damage, maybe re-seat the connector and check that the sensor is fully seated squarely and all the way in the block as far as it will go.
Well all is well. Got the sensor last Thurs and installed it on Friday. I put some extra wire loom(plastic ribbed tubing)around the wiring. The Santa Fe is running great again. Best $10 that I spent.
Thanks all for the help!! I appreciate all the input!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts