Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Hyundai Accent and it's not getting fuel. I put power straight to the pump it turns on. I replaced the relay left under the steering column still doesnt come. I tested for 12v+ on the terminal with key on, no power. What's my next step? I seen something about G06 ground but nothing says or shows where it's at.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,698 Posts
michaelneff22 said:
I tested for 12v+ on the terminal with key on, no power.
You do know that there shouldn't normally be power supplied to the pump when the key is on? The fuel pump is only switched on when the engine is turning.

michaelneff22 said:
What's my next step?
Did you check the two +12V power supplies on the relay socket, as shown in your photo?
When you say you "put power straight to the pump", how did you do that? Did you run another wire back to the pump, or did you just bypass the relay?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I placed a car battery in the back seat and grounded and put power straight to the 12v. As for the relay socket I get power at the bottom left pin no power to the top left pin that goes to the fuel pump. I cant remember if I get power to the top right pin. I'll have to check that tonight.

·
Registered
14,698 Posts
As for the relay socket I get power at the bottom left pin
That's good.

michaelneff22 said:
no power to the top left pin that goes to the fuel pump.
There wouldn't be power on that terminal with the relay removed, so that's good too.

michaelneff22 said:
I cant remember if I get power to the top right pin. I'll have to check that tonight.
Yes, check that and if you have power there use a short link wire to bridge the two top terminals. That should send power to the pump, so have a listen at the rear seat and see if you can hear it running. If it's running you know the wiring between the relay and the pump, and the pump ground, are OK.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I have a 1995 Hyundai Accent and it's not getting fuel. I put power straight to the pump it turns on. I replaced the relay left under the steering column still doesnt come. I tested for 12v+ on the terminal with key on, no power. What's my next step? I seen something about G06 ground but nothing says or shows where it's at. View attachment 443784
Ground G06 location attached.
G06 Location..jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the long delay of not following up with working on this car.

Autospark: when I put a paper clip in the top 2 termanials the pump does make a noise.

Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
14,698 Posts
Have you checked to see if there is spark at the plugs when you attempt to start the engine?
Generally when there is no fuel being delivered to the engine by the pump, and there is no spark at the plugs, those are symptoms of a faulty crank sensor.

·
Registered
14,698 Posts
Are those your voltage measurements on the photo you posted above, or is that a photo you found online?
Did you try starting it with the pump relay bypassed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Photo above is from online. When I test the voltage I get nothing.

I put my paper clip back in the top 2 termanials and tried starting it and it doesnt fire up. Paper clip gets cherry red though.

I swapped the starter relay in and still no fuel pump.

·
Registered
14,698 Posts
When you first switch the ignition on do you hear the fuel pump running for a couple of seconds, and the fuel pump relay clicking on then off?

I suggest you remove the relay and measure the voltages on the 4 relay socket terminals to see if your measurements match what's in that photo (with the ignition switched on). Pay particular attention to the lower right terminal which should have approx 2V on it. That is the relay control terminal and the 2V comes from the engine computer. If there is no voltage on that terminal that would suggest that the control wire is open circuit/broken, which would obviously prevent the fuel pump from switching on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another long delay, I got to working on something else. I went back and was reading the comments. So I do have 12v+ at the top right pin out and 12v+ at the bottom left pin out with key on. But only when I am grounded to the battery. So I believe the ground (bottom right pin out is bad) where does that ground go?

Also I did replace the fuel pump within the mean time. Fuel pump runs when car is cranking but doesnt prime when the key is on. I can get it to run with a little hold on the gas pedal but runs like crap. Fuel pump and sending unit was pretty trashed so I left the sending unit out. Hope that isn't a issue minus having no gas gauge. I drained all the old gas and gave it a new fuel filter too.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,698 Posts
So I believe the ground (bottom right pin out is bad) where does that ground go?
See my previous post. The bottom right terminal will only be a ground when the engine is cranking/running. It should have approx 2V with the ignition on.

michaelneff22 said:
Fuel pump runs when car is cranking but doesnt prime when the key is on.
The relay ground must be good then or the relay wouldn't switch on and the pump wouldn't run.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
14,698 Posts
So I guess I gotta start tracing the wire back?
No, I don't think there is anything wrong with the relay wiring going by those voltages. They all look good to me.

·
Registered
14,698 Posts
I think you should connect the pump and back probe the two connector terminals. Connect your voltmeter to the back probes so your meter is connected directly to the pump's power supply and ground. Make your you get 9~10V there while the engine is cranking. If that checks out OK there is nothing wrong with the pump circuit. And you've replaced the pump itself so I think it's safe to assume the pump is OK. Basically, that's the electrical side of things covered as far as fuel delivery to the engine goes.

I think the next step would be a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail on the engine. If you find low pressure at the rail, and we know the electrics are good, that must mean the problem is hydraulic...a blockage or leak. If the pressure at the rail is good the final part of the fuel delivery system is the injectors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
11.4v at the pump while cranking. I got the car running, hardly running with my hand steady on the throttle to keep it idle.

Had it running long enough for a check engine light to come on. I keep searching but I dont see how you can retrieve the codes. If its anything like the old Hondas long flashes represent 10's and short 1's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Checked spark on all cylinders they appear to have the same amount of spark. But if I pull plug on cyclinder 1 it kills the motor instantly. 2-4 doesnt effect how it runs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts