Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of looking through search results threads... ok - 2007 Limited, and (so far) not showing any gas feed problems, BUT:

Gauge showed low ( maybe 1/8th plus) , gassed up - took 15 gal. Think it's a 19 gal tank. ALSO - I am assuming the fuel pump is in the tank. So question is, how many gal's needed in tank to keep the pump 'cool , lubed, and functional' ? I'm guessing less than 4 doesn't do the pump any 'good'.

Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I think the total fuel tank capacity is closer to 17 gallons. My own personal rule of thumb is to plan on a gas stop when the range indication on the instrument cluster starts dropping below around 70-80 gallons. The gauge shows between 1/8 and 1/4 tank at that point.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Owner's Manual on the 2007 indicates a 19 gal capacity! hmm, never cycled through the trip dealie, just use the current trip mileage - probably wouldn't believe the computer calculations ( however - won't know without x-checking, duh). Most of our gas ups take 13 - 14 gal, so I'm guessing the pumps covered, whetever's left in there.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,848 Posts
I'd guess you'd need at least a 1/4 tank to have the pump submerged in fuel. The pickup sock generally lays flat on the bottom so the pump motor is a couple inches above that. I don't think it's an issue like it use to be.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know about the Hyundai fuel pumps specifically. BWM, Lincoln, and Jaguar (at the least), have the fuel pumps in a "bucket" of sorts inside the fuel tank, and they pump some fuel into the bucket. This keeps them cool and lubricated all the way till you run out of fuel.
What you need to worry about is getting so low that you do run out of fuel unexpectedly (like going up a hill which might move the remaining fuel away from the fuel pickup). Having the pump run dry, even for a few seconds is very stressful on the pump and may cause damage or failure. Running out can be bad on the engine too, it can have a few very lean fires before it stalls, and those aren't good for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.