Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 2001 Accent GLI, 1.6 L engine. The problem started a couple of days ago after I filled up the car. I parked the car and in the morning there was a smell of gasoline around the car & when I moved the car, I noticed an 8 - 10 inch wet area just below where the fuel tank filler was. Since then, I still can smell gasoline around and in the car when it's been sitting for a while but there are no more wet spots under the car. Is there a fuel overflow line that goes directly to the ground or do I have a leak?

I lifted the rear seat to see if there was any leak around the top of the tank by the fuel filter and noticed that there's no real seal between the access panel and the car floor, just a bit of rubbery caulking that holds the panel in place so fumes could enter the car through the gaps. Is there something missing, like a rubber gasket? hold-down screws? I didn't see anything in the manual so I'm wondering how everyone else deals with this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You may have overfilled it and that caused fuel to come out of the vent ot overflow valve...

And there is a charcoal canister to fix the gas smell, it may have some fuel in it if you overfilled it and may need time to evaporate? Those would be my main guesses.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (clubcar98 @ Aug 8 2010, 02:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347996
You may have overfilled it and that caused fuel to come out of the vent ot overflow valve...

And there is a charcoal canister to fix the gas smell, it may have some fuel in it if you overfilled it and may need time to evaporate? Those would be my main guesses.

The charchol is to trap the fuel vapors, as it is against the law to emit fuel vapors... we can leave our fuel can full of lawnmower fuel or chainsaw fuel open in the shed all we want, but we cant emit fuel vapors from automobile,,, remember them 0440, 0441, 0442, 0455, 0456 leak codes ?

Very possible too that the fuel fill pipe could have hole rusted in it, or some other source of fuel leak for raw fuel to escape, tank leak, fill pipe leak, fuel lines to/from engine, fill vent valve inop and let fuel pour out and flood canister and run out... lots of variables that need looked at.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that I most likely overfilled it, but considering that the small fuel puddle on my driveway was under fuel tank, between the tank center and the fill tube, and looking at the following exploded view, I'm assuming that the leak is somewhere in the overflow tube that supposedly leads back to the tank, so I need to find that tube and have a close look at it. Does anyone know if I can see/access this tube without removing the tank?

The second picture I'm uploading shows the access hole under the back seat. This is the way that I see things when I lift the lid, and this picture shows the fuel filter where I see the same thing, but the larger exploded view points to this as a 2 way valve and doesn't appear to show a filter. Is this valve something different or is it the fuel filter assembly? The cover to this access hole is what I was describing that doesn't fully close and is held in place by some black caulking - am I missing a sealing gasket or should I just put a bead of non-hardening caulking on the lid to keep the floor sealed under the seat?

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (Alfons @ Aug 8 2010, 07:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348058
I agree that I most likely overfilled it, but considering that the small fuel puddle on my driveway was under fuel tank, between the tank center and the fill tube, and looking at the following exploded view, I'm assuming that the leak is somewhere in the overflow tube that supposedly leads back to the tank, so I need to find that tube and have a close look at it. Does anyone know if I can see/access this tube without removing the tank?

The second picture I'm uploading shows the access hole under the back seat. This is the way that I see things when I lift the lid, and this picture shows the fuel filter where I see the same thing, but the larger exploded view points to this as a 2 way valve and doesn't appear to show a filter. Is this valve something different or is it the fuel filter assembly? The cover to this access hole is what I was describing that doesn't fully close and is held in place by some black caulking - am I missing a sealing gasket or should I just put a bead of non-hardening caulking on the lid to keep the floor sealed under the seat?
If I remember correctly, you should be able to see the fill and vent tube from under the car. Look for the usual suspects, rusty clamp or cracks in the rubber.

The access plate is sealed and held in place by the caulking. I use a ribbon of windshield chaulk, you could prolly use RTV also.

What you are probably seeing in the pics is...mid generation they moved the fuel filter from in-line to the fuel pump. That's one of the differences between a LC and a LC2 Accent.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I'd update this thread. Initially I took off the rear drivers side wheel and had a look at the fuel "plumbing" - it didn't look much like the diagram from the manual that I posted earlier. The clamps on the hoses were pretty rusty (I noticed that Hyundai doesn't put quality coated steel products on their vehicles - at least this vintage) and I noticed that there was quite a bit of staining around the lip of the tank, around the tank filler hose neck, and even higher up but I couldn't see the "higher up" without dropping the tank so I took the chance that maybe the leak was a result of bad clamps. I was right about the bad clamps but I was wrong about the leak source. I dropped the tank and found that it has/had one fairly large pin-hole (rust) close to the top - this one was leaking, and what amounts to being one or more smaller perforations along the top, not large enough to really see but large enough to keep that area moist. I patched the larger hole but decided that the tank needs to be replaced so I re-installed it until I get another in good shape - should be this week.

I'm wondering if anyone has a diagram showing the real plumbing and fuel delivery components.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some of the components that are on the top of the Accent tank that don't correspond to the exploded view in the manual. The unit with the ground wire and section of quick disconnect plastic fuel line is shown as a filter in one of the pics I posted earlier. Does anyone know exactly what they all are?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Alfons. The picture on the left is part of the fuel pump. That part sits above the tank and connects to the fuel pump assembly. The picture in the middle is of the fuel filter and also sits above the tank. You are correct, the wire is for ground. It's to prevent an electrical spark from causing it to ignite. The picture on the right is of the two-way check valve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, while fueling up - left the car unattended and came back fuel pump did not stop. It has been 45 days and still have fuel smell inside car - is there anyway to get the smell out of interior.

·
Registered
389 Posts
NEVER EVER leave any vehicle when its being fueled. Not only is it downright lethal on principle its actually illegal in alot of places and can cause you serious legal issues if someone gets hurt or killed as a result. Remember when a car is being fueled in the general way of things the engine and the exhaust system will be at its hottest - not to mention in most cases the fueling port is right above a nice hot rear brake disc or drum brake - more than hot enough to flash ignite petrol & often diesel.

I have worked in hospitals and seen children burned as a result of these sort of accidents and its heartbreaking and life destroying.

As to getting rid of the fuel stink - if you can park in a secure place leave the windows cracked open so the gases can get out. You can also try spray upholstery cleaners like febreeze or something like that.

You also need to check the inspection port above the tank - my father had a Renault 25 TXI that had a reek of petrol when it was filled right up. Turned out that when we pulled the carpet and the inspection port cover the top of the fuel tank was a lake of neat petrol, due to a design fault/missing part. If any member of my family smoked in that car at that time it would have gone up like a £25k grenade. Luckily it had leather seats so once the problem had been removed the stink went pretty fast as the leather didnt absorb it..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts