Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, Did a search in the NF Sonata Forum and couldn't find any data so… What kind of mileage are you getting in your NF and how does it compare to the odometer scale?

I finally got a chance to get the 2.4NF on the road for a stretch and check the mileage. Drove from SLC to St. George then through Zion & Bryce Canyons. Loaded with our luggage and recording gear I averaged 27 MPG overall (driving between 75-90 mph). For the load I was very pleased. :D What I was very happy and surprised at was the reading from the AVG on the odometer and real life figuring. It was a perfect match! Okay, the difference was 1/10 of a mile off.

What has your experience been?

·
Registered
81 Posts
i drive a 3.3 V6 - mileage is pretty constant at about 11.3L / 100km, which is about 20.82 MPG. Pretty bad if you ask me. But I do about 70-80% city in alot of stop-and-go traffic (Toronto is notorious for that)

·
Registered
71 Posts
wife and I and teen daughter on road trip...32mpg @ 60mph and
its pretty consistant around town at 24-27 mpg
2009 2.4/auto...synthetic oil use since new 2008..just turned 50k miles...changed auto trans oil twice with Castrol Multi

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 27 between 75 and 90 is pretty good. I have a 3.3 and at 65 i avg 27 mpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
In my 2.4L 2009 I generally get about 34 mpg with just two occupants and some luggage. I've noticed if I use cruise control that it is very quick to kickdown into 4th gear on even the slightest incline, killing my fuel economy. So I never use cruise control. My city driving is about 25-26 mpg in the warmer/moderate months and about 22 mpg in the winter months (takes longer for the engine to heat up so it is dumping a lot of gas during startup/warmup to get up to operating temperature which hurts the fuel economy).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've noticed if I use cruise control that it is very quick to kickdown into 4th gear on even the slightest incline, killing my fuel economy. So I never use cruise control. ).
In cruise control put it in the manual mode. That stops the annoying downshifts at inclines.

·
Registered
446 Posts
So having a 3.3, resetting the MPG meter, doing a straight road test at 65mph and getting 27-28mpg is normal?

I get around 30-32

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is meant by using 'manual mode' with cruise control? I have a 2.4 L with A/C and I'm only familiar with '+' and '-' while in drive. I also find that the downshifts on slight inclines with cruise control are annoying.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What is meant by using 'manual mode' with cruise control? I have a 2.4 L with A/C and I'm only familiar with '+' and '-' while in drive. I also find that the downshifts on slight inclines with cruise control are annoying.
When in Drive and Cruising, you pull the shifter towards you. That puts it in manual mode giving you the control of shift points. It no longer downshifts on it's own at inclines.
It's still actually programmed to shift if the rpms get too low or high, but inclines won't be a problem anymore. That's how i always do it when on highway.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Constant shifting...

When in Drive and Cruising, you pull the shifter towards you. That puts it in manual mode giving you the control of shift points. It no longer downshifts on it's own at inclines.
It's still actually programmed to shift if the rpms get too low or high, but inclines won't be a problem anymore. That's how i always do it when on highway.
Perfect! That was a very annoying situation with the cruise control and I am sure it affected the mileage. Next road trip I will give it bash!

·
Registered
86 Posts
When in Drive and Cruising, you pull the shifter towards you.
Sorry, meant to say that you push it to the right towards + _ and not towards you, the driver...lol
Have been driving a Kia the past few days on which you pull it towards you. Forgot that on a Sonata it's the other way around. My bad.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Actually you were right for the YF Sonata '11 and up. When I drove one for a few days it took me a while to adapt to the difference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In cruise control put it in the manual mode. That stops the annoying downshifts at inclines.
THANK YOU!! I tried that a bit this weekend and could tell the difference even at 50 mph going up a slight incline.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my MPG reading is also spot one with my manual calculations. In winter I usually get about 20mpg in town, in summer I get about 23-34 in town and I get about 27-29 hwy (2.4 engine)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Over nearly 5 years and 90,000 miles, I averaged about 27.9 mpg in my 2008 Sonata GLS 2.4L. Most of my daily driving is a combination of low-speed stop-and-go and high-speed highway, usually lasting between 30-45 minutes. Other than that I would make quarterly long-distance trips between Detroit and either Pittsburgh or Indianapolis, to visit family in each location.

The graph below shows that it consistently trends upward in the summer, and downward in the winter. I found it to be sensitive to a number of factors, including (but not limited to) ambient air temperature, throttle input, idling, fuel formulation, wheelspin, wind resistance, and tire type.

I'd estimate that it got between 28-31 mpg in the summer, and 24-26 mpg in the winter. I've gotten as high as 34.8 on a June highway trip lasting several hours, and I've gotten as low as 23 mpg on a tank slogging it out through brutal January-February commutes.

It seems to do worse in the winter, and I believe it to be a combination of wheelspin on snow & ice (though thanks to traction control, manual-shift mode, and good tires, it NEVER got stuck, slid out, for failed to stop), colder air temperature making for more dense air and increased resistance, A/C compressor kicking in when the defroster is used, and winter blend gas.

I found that except for the hottest summer days, using the A/C didn't have as much of an effect in summer as it did in winter. That's because it's more-or-less optional in summer (I could roll down the windows, and I usually had my sunroof vented, so didn't need AC all the time), and necessary in winter (in order to clear the glass for visibility). We also have shorter summers so AC isn't needed for a long period of time.

But I've also posted a 22 mpg in August when I was having my car detailed and they idled the engine for a long time, I think to run the AC and dry out the interior. I've also posted a 31 mpg in November on a long drive for Thanksgiving on clear roads. It generally gets better with normal-speed steady-state driving and hates to be idled, as far as MPG goes.

I bought it used in January 2009, and had the tires replaced in October of that year; I immediately noticed that while the ride was much quieter and handling better, the MPG wasn't quite as good. Over a year or so it crept back up.

I notice that Michigan gas is formulated differently from Pennsylvania or Ohio gas, so I'd always make sure to stop in Toledo or Fort Wayne (depending on where I was coming from) and fill up on my way back to Michigan to get better gas (usually cheaper at the pump too). If I was clever enough I'd plan to have just enough gas to get from north of Detroit down I-75 to Toledo, then fill up there on the way to Pittsburgh to get better mileage across the Ohio Turnpike. I also noticed this with my Mazda Tribute 3.0L V6 before this. This was further exacerbated as Michigan doesn't introduce their summer-blend gas until June 1st.

Good Luck!

Best Regards,
-Raj

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Raj, I just gotta ask: there's a LOT of data in that chart. How on Earth did you manage to record all of it?!? Do you have some kind of magical satellite up link to the NSA? :grin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.
That is some impressive data collection!

·
Registered
407 Posts
There's WWW.FUELLY.COM, if you want to manually upload your fill-ups. You can also check other people's gas mileage, sorted almost any way you want!

There's also ACAR, which is a great little app for Android phones. It lets you easily keep track of your gas mileage, as well as service and repairs. Plus, you can store additional data about your car, such as VIN, base cost, etc.

I tried the FUELLY approach for a while, but have broken that habit. I still continue to use ACAR all the time.

·
22,788 Posts
Raj, I just gotta ask: there's a LOT of data in that chart. How on Earth did you manage to record all of it?!? Do you have some kind of magical satellite up link to the NSA? :grin:
I was thinking the same thing.
That is some impressive data collection!
Gentlemen, that's known as dedicated data collection. The guy knows his vehicle, that's for sure. He even brings his year's of data to the table to verify his claims. Impressive. 5 1/2 years? Even more impressive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gentlemen, that's known as dedicated data collection. The guy knows his vehicle, that's for sure. He even brings his year's of data to the table to verify his claims. Impressive. 5 1/2 years? Even more impressive.

Why, thank you. I've been using CleanMPG.com for about 5 or 6 years, entering info from my pump receipts. The site generates the graph, but you could also download it and import into Excel and crunch it. Pretty much does the same as Fuelly.com as another member stated.

I promise you I'm not that anal about many other things, only that which affects my pocket. :)

I was pretty amazed after the first year or two that the pattern emerged, and it was fairly consistent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts