Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to eveybody,my daughter has a 03 Accent that runs good starts good etc,but gets poor milage.Spark plugs are dark brown on all cyl. Replaced them and air filter,which was clean.There were no codes showing in PCM.Dealer wants 400.00 to service and then they will try to find problem.Car has 60k and has been trouble free since newand doesnt use oil.If anyone has any suggestions on what I should start looking for they would be welcome. I am new to electronic engine managment but have rebuilt and tuned a lot of carbed autos,bikes.Thanks for any info. in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2002 Accent and also found that the mileage was rather poor for a supposed "economical" vehicle. However, I realized after a long drive to visit my Dad, the mileage was ALOT better on the highway than in town. It also has such a small gas tank 9.9 gallons. I'm getting about 35 miles to the gallon. Don't know if this helps, but at least someone is interested. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
try removing the ground cable from the battery for about 5 min. and press the brake pedal during this time this will reset the computer. By doing this you will not set off any engine codes but the computer will be set to new factory specs which means it will not compensate for worn items such as spark plugs air filter etc. no worries after three drive cycles the vehicle will go back to the previous setting if need be. maybe by performing this it will fix any minor problem that that may be responsible for your poor mpg. Another thing you can do is replace the air filter with a K&N I have one on each of my Hyundai's (TIBURON&SONATA)and they b oth get about 40 more miles to the tank.. good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine fitted with a K&N filter, milege improves marginally but the engine runs alot smoother and quieter at high speed.... used to sound "breatheless" when travelling at 130km/h.

Try to fit a 2nd air-intake, gets you alot more power. Am not sure abt tunning the ECU though.

SOULLINK: Please do not quote the whole thread in the box above when replying to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
try it out I worked at a hyundai dealer in Florida for 4 years works great. anytime you do a mod do it you will see better results immediatly even with the air filter ...let me know.

SOULLINK: Please do not quote the whole thread in the box above when replying to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I have an air filter & an Accent ('01) How do I install, I'm a woman and I'm tired of waiting for help from the men in my life. I have some car experience, but not much. Please help--my gas performace SUCKS and I can't wait anymore... THanks- K

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi,
I just bought a 1997 accent and still am on my first full tank with 135 miles and sill a quater of a tank to go. it has a economy button to help save gas. I also drive in huston stop and go all the time. so far so good on the gas milage for me - dont know about the tranny though.
Jessica

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello all,I drive a 5 speed 1.6 and my wife drives a auto 1.5 and we both get great gas mileage.mines 04 and hers is a 99.she has 42,000 original miles mine has 13,000 and on one tank I get about 340 miles.She get about 350 miles to a tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should get 320 to 350 miles per gallon at least. The 1.5 and 1.6 if both 5 speeds get about the same gas mileage. Auto is just a few worse.

·
Registered
224 Posts
dont you mean about 32 to 35 miles to the gallon? - and please state if you are referring to the US Gallon or the UK Gallon - as they are different quantities (for some silly reason)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by soullink@Feb 9 2005, 01:55 PM
dont you mean about 32 to 35 miles to the gallon? - and please state if you are referring to the US Gallon or the UK Gallon - as they are different quantities (for some silly reason)
[snapback]6293[/snapback]​

If a person is from the States as his profile indicates, why would you even think he would be refering to or even be considering UK gallons. Just wondering

1 - 13 of 13 Posts