Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a leak somewhere I guess,
interior of my excel smells of fuel after being parked in the sun, regardless of whether its been running or not. - it is fine when running though.

I have checked the fuel lines from tank to filter, plus filter thru the rail line.
There was a bit of a leak around the pressure regulator - which i undone the bolt underneath and re-seated the washer - it appears ok now.

Where else could i check on these cars?
Its not the strongest smell of fuel, but still annoying.

Any ideas of where to check, or hoses prone to fail and crack would be great!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
just take a very careful look. i recommend running the car for a while to build up pressure, then jack it up and wait say 20 mins. that should put the fuel system at its highest pressure without putting more onto it with another tool. flashlight, use your nose, look for dampness. be sure to pull your back seat and remove the access cover so you can see the hoses on top of the tank. use some silicone adhesive to reattach the access cover after. nothing special is needed. a tube of simple RTV will work fine.

beyond that, its possible that you've lost your charcoal canister (EVAP) and its leaking fumes. it can get saturated with fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks zero. I will give that a go. just yesterday i was backing it out of the driveway and copped a few fumes while it was running. so its time for a more thorough investigation.

question: our new place has a **** of a curb coming out of the driveway, in which i near wiped off my exhaust - i have fixed the exhaust leak -albeit very dodge with radiator hose and hose clamps (its just before it meets the muffler). Is it possible ive bumped something else coming out of the driveway or an exhaust leak may leak a fuely smell inside the car?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi inais. Not sure if you have the same configuration as the cars sold in the US and if this will apply. There was a design problem with the vapor recovery system where there was excessive vacuum put on the system and would eventually crack the fuel tank. One of the symptoms of the crack is that you get the smell of gas in the car.

There was a recall in the US in regards to this.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
good thought tedav. inais, you'll have to search the TSB's on www.hmaservice.com for that.

but yeah i'd check that repair first man...i've done half-assed plenty of times...but wow man. i'm impressed. exhaust=hot. rubber burns. so yeah you could be getting exhaust fumes in the car.

if you want to go really trashy like that try wrapping the break in sheet metal (several times with same sheet) and clamping it. just don't expect that nonsense to last.

a nice backyard fix for that is to get a piece of exhaust pipe that has the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the pipe you want to repair. cut say 4" of the stuff. take a file (dremel, whatever) and cut chamfers on the edges of both pipes where they mate together. heat the new, larger piece with a propane torch or something. tap it on with a hammer. do the same with the other side and clamp with muffler clamps. this repair is trashy, but it will last. i have lost count of how many times i have done this and they all outlasted the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replys. ive tried signing up the hmaservice before and it doesnt seem to work for my country? do you know of a work around?

yeah, i did a bit of research before i put on the radiator hose. and im surprised it worked. all sources told me it would burn, or melt. but have done a few long hot drives and there is no smell of burnt rubber, and no sign on inspection of any extra damage. so not sure if its because i used old hard rubber, or maybe the coating of exhaust cement worked. either way, happy to have a quiet car again lol.
the first radiator hose exhaust repair i did was just because the weld/solder along the seem of the exhaust had rusted out and fallen in. but ill be sure to try your method if i get another one. I have done all the work under the car so far rather than removing the exhaust.

as for the leak. is it possible i need a new fuel cap? Its only smelling when its in the sun for a long period of time (40 C) temperatures where i am now, and going off when you leave a canister in the sun, it expands with the pressure. Perhaps my cap is not pressurising and leaking.

I still haveent had a chance to further invesitage it all. this weekends job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts