Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I had replaced fuel filter about 3 weeks ago. Since the local hyundai dealer has issues with spare parts because of the whole lots of Hyundais they have sold and the little money they invest in their parts inventory, I have decide to buy generic OEM filters for my hyundai. I purchase the Onnuri Brand which is very popular around and well known. Never had issues with their parts plus they are affordable and look rugged.

This morning as I started my Santa Fe, I noticed a heavy smell of diesel fuel and could hear like a shower coming from under the car. When I looked below it was diesel fuel leaking all over the place. Shut the engine off immediately and opened the hood. There was fuel all over the filter. I noticed a somewhat loose fuel line from the filter (I think it is the return line). Called the mechanic to have a look at it. He noticed the rubber seal of the filter was deformed or bitten by the same base. It seemed as if was too tight and had deformed it. So he loosen the filter, properly placed the seal and tight it up again.

Started the engine, again fuel leak and then a sudden pop. He thinks the filter seals are bad and they open when under pressure. So I have to go and purchase an original Hyundai filter at the dealer(if they have in spare). However I am concerned that maybe there is too much pressure being sent from the fuel pump. The engine has no CEL and was running fine until this morning.

Will have the filter replaced Monday morning and hopefully the issue is solved. Otherwise, I might have an overpressurized fuel pump. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would think you might have a blocked fuel line to the engine, so the filter will get overpressurised by the incoming fuel and will pop open.
An overpressure could be because of a blocked (return) line or purge valve or the pressure sensor faulty.
But I suppose they were not touched for filter renewel.
Or maybe the fuel lines were somehow switched on the filter?
But this was after three weeks of normal operation?
Then I would check for blockage.
Another possibility could be, the filter itself can not cope with the amount of fuel it should transport or the type of fuel, diesel.
Diesel fuel is more oily and thicker than gasoline. If the filter is made for gasoline it could get "plugged" by the diesel oil.
If you suspect the filter itself you could leave it out for a moment to see if then the system will hold the fuel.

Good luck,
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts