Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai suggests "fuel injector cleaner" on every service interval, is this the bottle you can buy at part store and diy? What to look for? Driving a 17 1.6t.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Canadian Tire concentrated fuel injector cleaner has same ingredient as Techron, and much easier to find in Canada.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hyundai suggests "fuel injector cleaner" on every service interval, is this the bottle you can buy at part store and diy? What to look for? Driving a 17 1.6t.
I read that it is only required if you are NOT using a top tier gas, Costco is rated as a top tier gas so I may put it in once a year.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
fly
Use the Techron every 4-5k. Best to use a little stronger dose, than weaker dose.

For smoothing-out a idle in a hurry, use 20 ounces per 15-18 gallons of fuel. Pour it in the empty tank - then fuel.

The best kept secret is to never use it, enroute to a long vacation. You want a slow clean. That means that the full fuel tank loaded with Techron should last close to a week (at least).

If your idel is rough, then take the vehicle on the freeway and run it heavy-footed for 10-15 minutes per day.... safely

·
Registered
2016 Elantra GT and 2011 Elantra Touring
487 Posts
I think most fuel, if not all fuel in Canada, is well enough regulated that injector cleaner is not need. Many years of car maintenance without using it and without any problems. If I had a problem that I thought fuel injector cleaning might help, I would try it, but until then I keep my money in my pocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Redeline SL1 is excellent and more readily available in Canada. I have now used 2 bottles in my 2020 Tucson Ultimate which has just under 12K now.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think most fuel, if not all fuel in Canada, is well enough regulated that injector cleaner is not need. Many years of car maintenance without using it and without any problems. If I had a problem that I thought fuel injector cleaning might help, I would try it, but until then I keep my money in my pocket.
I use Shell Fuel in all my vehicles i will use V-Power every 2-3 rd tank in the S.F. makes a difference in start up idle its smooth as silk on every start if someone uses a top tier fuel like shell V-Power theres no need to use fuel Injector cleaner at all.

·
Registered
2016 Elantra GT and 2011 Elantra Touring
487 Posts
IN this test by top gear, fuel injector cleaner performed very well.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've been using Techron in my cars for 30+ years. Generally once a year.
Back before top tier fuel I went a couple years without it in my 1988 Accord (with PFI).
Idle got a little "lumpy". Put a bottle of Techron in the tank and it smoothed out the idle in less than 10 miles.
I've also used it in chain saws and lawn mowers that aren't running well. 2oz per gallon of fuel.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yupp. techron is a great F.I. cleaner not locally found in my area being Canada, Ontario. hyundai dealer caries it though. in the past i have also used STP Ultra F.I. Cleaner on my S.F. and noticed good results.! at $20.00 a bottle wallmart is $15.00 a bottle. cheaper than using other more pricee F.I. cleaners Works exeptionally well, many good reviews too read. (y)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Back in the mid 90's my first fuel injected car ('92 Cherokee with the 4.0 liter straight 6 - sweet engine) was running rough. I was in an apartment and didn't know much about working on cars (well, less than I do now which isn't that much) and I took it to a dealer. Great dealer - they did me right several times. They said it was fixed and I asked what they did. They said they just put some injector cleaner in it. Since then I have been sold on the value of it. My Boomer dad, who is pretty old school and worked on cars a bit more than me but it was old American stock, was having a similar issue on his newer car and, on my advice, used the cleaner and it fixed the same issue. So I felt nice. I guess even a simple thing like this takes some "learnin'." MY concern now, after having looked in to it lately, is how the intake valves can be cleaned given that this is GDI. I gather there is a possibility of the intake valve, which only caries air now, can be dirty and the fuel-born cleaner won't get to it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
MY concern now, after having looked in to it lately, is how the intake valves can be cleaned given that this is GDI.
I say don't fix what ain't broke.
I see lots of posts of people spraying cans into their intakes and making a lot of smoke, temporary check engine lights etc.
But no posts of actual driveability symptoms or before/after images of valves cleaned this way on Hyundai engines.
Pictures from websites selling the stuff don't count.
I also don't like the idea of sending that debris to the cat converter.
If/when the time comes I'll take off the intake manifold and clean the valves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts