Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I had my timing belt replaced at the local Hyundai dealership today (I was going to watch ikilledbarbie/general1's videos and try it myself, but it's cold in northern Indiana and I'm not that hardcore). The service adviser recommended that I get a fuel induction service for $119 to improve fuel economy and prevent loss of power on acceleration. I don't recall seeing this in my owner's manual, does anyone know what it really is? Has anyone had it done that can speak to whether or not it does what they claim it does/is it worth it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Not in the owner's manual for a reason, not a recommended routine maintenance item. It is, however, a high profit item for a dealer's service dept. If your vehicle is running fine then there is no need to even consider this. First line would be to do an over the counter fuel system cleaner and as a last resort the induction cleaning but only if you are having issues.

They basically run a cleaning solution thru the fuel rail to clean the injectors etc. Again, not a recommended service in any owner's manual

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Induction Service amounts to a "wallet flush"....

My wallet flush consists of gas, oil, food, electric, heat & air, house payment....

Reactions: Saleem

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Hyundai do specify adding a fuel system treatment to the tank every 15,000kms. Have a look in your service book. It's PN AL009 M0002.

·
Registered
882 Posts
instead of doing fuel induction service, the better way is just replace the fuel injectors. Pretty easy job. The fuel injectors are kind of electrically operated, and may clogged or worn after years. Also you can clean the fuel rail at the same time, but I've never found them dirty

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Okay, how about we save you some money here. Go to your favorite auto parts store, or look for a coupon, for Techron concentrated fuel system cleaner. Techron, by Chevron. Run a bottle through every other oil change and your injectors, intake valves, and fuel system in total will clean up nicely. Techron is different from most others, and is the active ingredient for cleaning in Chevron fuels. Use at the concentration levels recommended on the bottle.

Techron

Good stuff.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Even cheaper for an already no problem running-driving,,, fresh load of fuel every other week.. I did that once a week or more with my old beater and went 355,000 till couple burnt exhaust valve made for power loss..

Who needs flush, chemical blends, high price injectors when fresh fuel does it all ??

Reactions: Richard Bicker

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Even cheaper for an already no problem running-driving,,, fresh load of fuel every other week.. I did that once a week or more with my old beater and went 355,000 till couple burnt exhaust valve made for power loss..

Who needs flush, chemical blends, high price injectors when fresh fuel does it all ??
Eh, a bottle of Techron every other oil changes helps with the diet of garbage gas we get around here. Can see a 0.30 per gallon variation from grocery store gas to Tier one fuels.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I just buy Top Tier fuel (Home | Top Tier Gas). With my Plenti/grocery store discount card I save money on groceries and earn money towards gas and even earn money towards gas by buying gas. Last year I had two or three entirely free fill-ups. I tried Techron additive a couple years ago and saw no appreciable change in performance or mileage. The only change was a lighter wallet.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Modern fuels have sufficient detergents in them to do the job. It's when you leave the car standing for some time where the problems start. Petrol goes off and becomes acidic so just regular fill up's and use the car. I made quiet a bit of money back in the 80's and 90's doing on car cleaning and it made a huge difference but today with improved injector design and fuels it's no longer necessary. The occasional bottle in the tank is more than enough.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hyundai Accents in those years are not GDI so no issue with carbon deposits on the valves. If it's running okay save yourself the money.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Lets not kid ourselves that pre GDI don't get carbon deposits on the valves. They sure do and as they get older and the stem seals start to leak it becomes a big problem. I have pulled down engines that have a drop in power only to find so much carbon on the back of the inlet valve one wonders how it ran at all.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Lets not kid ourselves that pre GDI don't get carbon deposits on the valves. They sure do and as they get older and the stem seals start to leak it becomes a big problem. I have pulled down engines that have a drop in power only to find so much carbon on the back of the inlet valve one wonders how it ran at all.
I thought MPI injectors sprayed fuel on the back of the valves keeping them clean? This is not true?

Then why are mfgrs going with complicated dual injector systems such as Toyota D-S4?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Yes that is true but after time they still build up carbon deposits caused by oil getting past the valve stem seals. GDI is well noted for it's problems developing at an early stage. One giveaway sign is the car starts to idle rough. It's caused by some of the fuel being soaked up by the carbon deposits on the valve and turning into droplets instead of a nice spray. It's always been a problem even back in the days of carbies. I am surprised that Diesel engines don't seem to suffer as badly as Petrol engines. Subaru have been having problems due to the horizontal engine design with all their models. The sell a foam spray that is left in the intake overnight then burnt off the next day.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes that is true but after time they still build up carbon deposits caused by oil getting past the valve stem seals. GDI is well noted for it's problems developing at an early stage. One giveaway sign is the car starts to idle rough. It's caused by some of the fuel being soaked up by the carbon deposits on the valve and turning into droplets instead of a nice spray. It's always been a problem even back in the days of carbies. I am surprised that Diesel engines don't seem to suffer as badly as Petrol engines. Subaru have been having problems due to the horizontal engine design with all their models. The sell a foam spray that is left in the intake overnight then burnt off the next day.
You don't think there's been improvement in valve stem seals over the decades?
So many other things have been vastly updated.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Sure they have but even the newer designs using a proper fla seal go hard with time and start letting oil past. It takes time but the problem still exists. Do engines still get oil leaks from crank and cam seals? If the seals were that good GDI engines would not have a problem. My statement on Diesels is probably because they don't have much manifold vacuum. If you only keep the car for the determined life span of 5 years you might as well never change the oil. When we were importing the so called low Km Japanese engines the amount of sludge in some was unbelievable because of just that. If your only keeping it for a few years what spend any money on it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sure they have but even the newer designs using a proper fla seal go hard with time and start letting oil past. It takes time but the problem still exists. Do engines still get oil leaks from crank and cam seals? If the seals were that good GDI engines would not have a problem. My statement on Diesels is probably because they don't have much manifold vacuum. If you only keep the car for the determined life span of 5 years you might as well never change the oil. When we were importing the so called low Km Japanese engines the amount of sludge in some was unbelievable because of just that. If your only keeping it for a few years what spend any money on it.
Funny you should mention never changing the oil. I had a girlfriend back in 1980 who bought a new Olds Cutlass coupe. She drove that car 88,000 miles in 2 years and never changed the oil. When she told me that I suggested she trade it in immediately. It ran fine but had a ticking noise all the time. I called it the ticking time bomb.
She eventually did trade it off. I sure don't envy the guy who bought that used car.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Wow that's unbelievable to go that far without a change. I find many customers never check the oil level and when servicing they might only have about 1 litre of oil left. I show them how to check it and leave them with some oil but it all gets too hard.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Modern fuels have sufficient detergents in them to do the job. It's when you leave the car standing for some time where the problems start. Petrol goes off and becomes acidic so just regular fill up's and use the car. I made quiet a bit of money back in the 80's and 90's doing on car cleaning and it made a huge difference but today with improved injector design and fuels it's no longer necessary. The occasional bottle in the tank is more than enough.
You do know that almost all petrol in the U.S. contains 10% ethanol.

Is Aussie petrol the same?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
No we do have a 93 and 95 Octane blend but it's probably not yet got to 50% of the total sales. The government has mandated that all fuel sellers meet a target but I am not sure where that's up to. There are for's and against's with added alcohol but the biggest negative is the mediocre saving at the bouser outweighed by the increased consumption. We do sell a E85 which is a magic fuel for HP and flex fuel cars but the cost should be much lower. I am not a Greene but do have an environmental conscience and think the real cost of Ethanol production is a big con but we must continue to look for alternate fuels to run our combustion engines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts