Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

It has been a while since I've been on here. Just hit 60k on my 2012 Elantra. As of late, the car seems to have a harder time starting. In the am it starts perfectly fine (in FL warmth), but after each start the rest of the day it takes more and more time before it kicks in and turns on. Dealer said no problem with battery or electrical exist (battery replaces 18 months ago). They say the car needs a fuel induction service to clean out the carbon build up. What is your experience with this service...I've seen a few on here say waste of money at 15 or even 30k, but what about 60k and with the issues I described? I've pretty much only done oil changes every 5-6k miles, so no additional recommended service has ever been done, apart from new air filters I installed. Does this service even impact starting issues? Gas mileage also has dramatically dropped. Thoughts?

thx for the help

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've never had it done, but with the issues you're having,I'd say it wouldn't be a bad idea. How much do they want for the service?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Will they guarantee that it will work, if not no charge???? If they say no try the over the counter injection cleaners first

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
I'm about to hit 60K, no problems. I run a bottle of techron or regane every 6 months a few weeks before oil changes. I am also very particular about where I buy gas. Brand doesn't matter here because all gas comes from same refinery but only new and high volume stations.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Use induction money to make car payment, insurance, house, 401, 529.....

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'm about to hit 60K, no problems. I run a bottle of techron or regane every 6 months a few weeks before oil changes. I am also very particular about where I buy gas. Brand doesn't matter here because all gas comes from same refinery but only new and high volume stations.
+1

Gumout Regane clears up my snowblower every winter when I first start it up. No more carburetor tear-downs :) Like Techron - based products it is a dedicated fuel system cleaner which is what you want.

Seafoam did not work for me. It has a lot of fans, but the cure-all magic potion claims and carnival-like demonstration videos are a warning sign with any product.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got the car back after paying the $129 for the injection cleaning. They also said they updated the car with some new codes regarding the computer, etc and also reset some of the figures to help with the idle, gas mileage, timing etc. it does run a lot smoother! Startup first 2 days was just as before, but last two days its been starting fine. Either way, I called the dealer to let them know their work hasn't quite solved my problem. Seafoam hasn't ever did anything for me either that I could tell at least.

We shall see....thanks for the 401k advice sbr711

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
could also be fuel is draining from the rail. when the car has been sitting for a while, turn the ign on for a few seconds but do not start. the pump will then fill the rail. then start. if this works, perhaps a fuel pressure check will verify a pressure drop when the system is shut down for while. while this would work for a key ignition, i dunno how to activate the fuel pump if you have push button start

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
We already know that Seafoam is promoted in carnival-like youtube videos. But in the spirit of playing along, I submit that water is even better at cleaning up an engine.

But seriously, any product squirted directly into an engine will remove more piston carbon than one mixed in the fuel tank. But the OP's hard-starting problem is probably not caused by piston carbon. It might be a gummed-up injector, in which case a dedicated fuel system cleaner is the most logical "cure" to try first. It work for my ancient snowblower, whereas Seafoam did nothing.

Maybe I should post a video. Nah. :57:

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
The key is routine maintenance and buying good fuel, not from some run down station (I don't care what sign is above it). Seafoam, Lucas, Techron, among others, works. You wait till there is a problem, too late for any bottle. Wifes 13 year old Mazda we just sold, never had a hard starting issue and it just got a bottle of Seafoam or Lucas about yearly.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
They also said they updated the car with some new codes regarding the computer, etc and also reset some of the figures to help with the idle, gas mileage, timing etc. it does run a lot smoother! Startup first 2 days was just as before, but last two days its been starting fine.
So, was it the updates or the induction service that helped a little. Never know! Why didn't they do the updates and tweaking the first time prior to the induction service? Guess we all know why.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts