Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit of a loss here guys, my fuel gauge is acting psychotic, down to zero, back up again, stuck in the middle, iddle, drive, it just doesn't care. My dealership is giving the usual "I'm sorry we just haven't been able to replicate the issue and can't pinpoint the cause, we've never seen anything like it." After two visits, just bring it in whenever it happens, sure.....

I honestly can't keep driving on a full tank every time, sooner or later I'll run out of gas. Stock buoy? bad rely? no idea.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Fill the tank and refill every 175-200 miles to avoid running out of fuel.

Try some TECHRON (and maybe some Marvel Mystery Oil too) at your next fill up and see if that "frees up" the sending unit (if that's the issue).

Otherwise, a trip to the shop is probably in order.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had this happen on my other car years ago. Turned out to be too much sulfur in the gasoline causing deposits to short out the indicator float in the gas tank. Look for a gasoline additive that cleans the contacts, don't remember the name of the product.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
That is very odd to watch....lol

Does look to be a sender issue.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed I think it's the sender, I mean I've let the tank run down to 15 miles range, that should've freed up the float I guess. I'm gonna keep on bugging my dealer....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
42,000 on a '14,,, it warranty... I would suspect sender concern..

As a side note, I would suspect most people like to track mile per gallon at one time or other,, thus we would know what common refuel interval would be.... I had my old beater pegged at 335 mile, that would run me around 11-12 gallon fuel,, but my gauge worked all along, I just used it (trip odometer) for reference.. so to say "I dont want to run out of gas" is kinda silly..

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
42,000 on a '14,,, it warranty... I would suspect sender concern..

As a side note, I would suspect most people like to track mile per gallon at one time or other,, thus we would know what common refuel interval would be.... I had my old beater pegged at 335 mile, that would run me around 11-12 gallon fuel,, but my gauge worked all along, I just used it (trip odometer) for reference.. so to say "I dont want to run out of gas" is kinda silly..
Thing is I don't run the same miles a week, sometimes 60 a day, sometimes 250, sometimes highway, sometimes city, I can assure you by the 6th day after fill up I have a very vague idea on how much there's left.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Videorecord the behaviour. sbr711 probably has the right idea, what you need is evidence to help the dealer file a warranty claim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts