Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to finally fill up my new Elantra VE for the first time. Something I noticed--that last quarter-tank goes fast! At the 1/4 mark, the read-out showed that I only had 55 miles remaining. That would be less than a gallon and a half, assuming 40 or so MPG. Is this normal?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm pretty sure the computer is not assuming 40 mpg. Was it full when you got it? What is your average fuel economy on this tankful?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Far better than what they use to be, would stay above full over well over a hundred miles that drop very quickly. Half a tank is more like less than a quarter tank. But don't try to explain this to a gas station attendant during that phony energy crisis, when you had to have far less than half a tank before you could buy gas, even at inflated prices.

BCM controls this now with a correction look up table, also have miles remaining as a secondary source. Up north here, very accurate with summer gas, but not so with winter gas, more government related problems.

Based on a heat value of 120,000 BTU's per US gallon, winter only had 93,000 up here.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used to have an '88 Honda Civic Hatchback. Like Nicholas said, it would take over 100 miles before the needle would drop below the F mark. Then it was over another 100 to hit half, then the last half went quick.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Other more major problem was the speedometer, cable driven against a coil spring in a rotating magnetic field. Only way to check its accuracy was on the freeway on level ground, at 60 mph, 60 seconds between mile posts. Can you believe I got a speeding ticket for doing 57 in a 55?

Fine was only two bucks, but another 200 for court cost. Telling them my speedometer must be off doesn't work.

Far more accurate today and can be checked against GPS.

The law is like a plate of glass, once broken, is broken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have the 14 gal tank like I have you will find that on E you will still have 2 gal in the tank. Or about 80 miles if 40 mpg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts