Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Accent 1.5L that I bought a couple years ago. The fuel gauge in the thing has always consistently read low (about 1/6th of a tank or so since I bought it). I always put fuel in it long before it would run out, so I never worried about it.

Recently I was driving in a horrendous night time rain storm on a mountain pass and came around a blind corner at about 40MPH and ran over a decent size rock. It got knocked around by my bumper but then went under the car and loudly smacked something metal in the back underneath the car (at least that's what it sounded like). I wasn't at a place I could pull over safely, so I kept driving until I could, but noticed my fuel gauge was dropping really fast (had a bit over half a tank when I hit the rock). I finally got pulled over, put on my rain gear, and crawled underneath the car with my flashlight. I did not see any dents or dings in anything (like the fuel tank, for example), nor could I see any gas leaking or anything. We were about 40 miles from a gas station (that thankfully was open), so we just chanced it, and drove as far as we could. The gauge eventually ran to "E", the Low Fuel Light came on (which I didn't even know I had as I never drive that low), but the car kept going.

I eventually got the gas station, had them fill it up (I live in Oregon -- no self-serve here), and they put approx. 5 gallons in -- which is what I would've used on that particular trip. They tried to fill it again, just to make sure, and it wouldn't hold any more fuel, so the gauge was just missed up. The gauge read 3/4 of a tank full after they filled it, so the gauge is messed up, still reading low.

Is this something that can easily be repaired or reset somehow? I have the Accent that has the fuel filter and fuel pump under the back seat and it's been about a year and few months (http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=37319) since I changed my filter and with our temperature swings and my car stuttering a bit when cold, it'll give me a good reason to take the cushion out again. I can sit there and just keep an eye on the mileage, but I'd rather have the gauge working for my wife when she drives it.

(And I'll get this thing up on a lift in a few days to make sure that nothing got clobbered.)

Thanks again!
-Jake

·
Registered
448 Posts
If the "low fuel light" came on, I would put the blame on the fuel-level sender unit (this might be part of the fuel pump assembly - I haven't looked at the manual, so I may be wrong). The computer would get the signal provided by the sender and if this signal was such as to be equivalent to "almost empty", the computer would cause the light to illuminate. The gauge is probably still good - it was also being fed an erroneous signal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Alfons @ Sep 20 2010, 06:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357554
If the "low fuel light" came on, I would put the blame on the fuel-level sender unit (this might be part of the fuel pump assembly - I haven't looked at the manual, so I may be wrong). The computer would get the signal provided by the sender and if this signal was such as to be equivalent to "almost empty", the computer would cause the light to illuminate. The gauge is probably still good - it was also being fed an erroneous signal.
The low fuel light came on when the gauge hit rock bottom, and it was a gradual (but quick) drop. The gauge now reads (at least) 1/4th of a tank low.

Anybody have a service manual around that shows if the fuel-level sender unit is part of the fuel pump assembly? Would the whole thing need to be replaced? I'm assuming it's removed via the same under-the-seat panel that the fuel filter is changed from, right?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here's a picture of the "exploded view" of the whole fuel tank assembly - it looks like the pump and fuel level sender are in the same unit. Although most of these combined units are only replaceable as a unit, you might want to check with your local dealership parts desk to see what you can order. If it does come in 2 sub-assemblies, you should be able to get what you want from an after market supplier.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'm finally getting around to really looking into this (have just been filling up based on odometer readings), and I wanted to ask some folks here, just to confirm, as I'm getting conflicting information from a few different sources (and if anybody knows of a place to get these parts, I'm all ears).

I've finally (I think) tracked it down that the Hyundai OEM part # for the fuel-level sensor is 94460-25500. If wanted to replace the entire fuel-pump assembly, which would have that sensor as well, it's part # 31100-25500. The only reason I'm confirming here is that I received conflicting information from my local dealership (which has only been a Hyundai dealer for about 9 months) and a larger-city dealership a few hours away. The sensor is around $65+freight, the entire fuel-pump system is around $300+freight. Obviously I'd rather just get the sensor, but I wanted to see if there were any other opinions (and get these numbers online for Google searches, as I can't find them anywhere other than a couple Russian sites).

-Jake

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I'm finally getting around to really looking into this (have just been filling up based on odometer readings), and I wanted to ask some folks here, just to confirm, as I'm getting conflicting information from a few different sources (and if anybody knows of a place to get these parts, I'm all ears).

I've finally (I think) tracked it down that the Hyundai OEM part # for the fuel-level sensor is 94460-25500. If wanted to replace the entire fuel-pump assembly, which would have that sensor as well, it's part # 31100-25500. The only reason I'm confirming here is that I received conflicting information from my local dealership (which has only been a Hyundai dealer for about 9 months) and a larger-city dealership a few hours away. The sensor is around $65+freight, the entire fuel-pump system is around $300+freight. Obviously I'd rather just get the sensor, but I wanted to see if there were any other opinions (and get these numbers online for Google searches, as I can't find them anywhere other than a couple Russian sites).

-Jake
same issues

1 - 6 of 6 Posts