Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I've been having issues with my '04 Santa Fe, when the fuel goes down to about a quarter left the fuel gauge starts reading inaccurately. Sometimes goes all the way down reading empty and maybe stays like that for a couple of miles, then it might go up reading what it's supposed to. I know it has to do maybe with the sending unit, but I would like to know if somebody had troubleshoot this before. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
QUOTE (JD Polo @ Jun 6 2010, 05:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330420
Hi everybody, I've been having issues with my '04 Santa Fe, when the fuel goes down to about a quarter left the fuel gauge starts reading inaccurately. Sometimes goes all the way down reading empty and maybe stays like that for a couple of miles, then it might go up reading what it's supposed to. I know it has to do maybe with the sending unit, but I would like to know if somebody had troubleshoot this before. Thanks.
The Santa Fe has two fuel level sending units, one in each side of the saddlebag shaped tank. Either one could be causing the erratic fuel level problem since they are connected in series to average the fuel level between the sides of the tank. On the right side there is only the float by itself, but the left side has the float and fuel pump as an assembly. Access is by removing the rear seats, pulling up a flap of carpet and insulation, and removing an access plate in the floor of the car. The right side has a two-pin connector for the fuel level only; the left side has a five-pin connector: two for power to the fuel pump, two for the level sensor, and one for the low fuel warning light.

If you want to work on the issue, remember to be ready for a little fuel spray from the tubing connected to the fuel pump, even after you unplug the connector with the engine running to bleed off pressure. The pump draws from its own float and, through another hose, from the float on the right side also. Don't get the tubes mixed up.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself. :grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts