Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Last week, my girlfriend filled up her car and usually the mile range is about 370 for a full tank, but this time it was 350. She paid it no mind and went about her week. She filled up a couple days ago and this time it only showed 311.

She has now driven about 150 miles (based on her trip counter, which is accurate); the fuel gauge only lost 2 notches, whereas normally it'd be about halfway down, and the range remaining shows 204, which is about 40 miles off.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Fuel level float? Wonky computer that just needs a battery reset? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Distance to empty is calculated based on recent fuel economy. If your mpg goes down, the range goes down.
The gage itself is not linear. You burn about 1.5 gallons before it moves off full, and the upper half (mid to full) lasts longer than the lower half (mid to empty). All cars are that way, unfortunately.

You will also find that when you run it down to the low fuel light, it only takes about 10 gallons, so there are a couple of gallons at the bottom that they don't count. That preserves the fuel pump and avoids unnecessary calls to their free roadside assistance number.
The range is unscientific and a rough guide only. For those who wish to be tormented by their fuel computer, take the car on a long trip at a steady 50mph and watch the mpg get close to 45-50mpg. Then when you're on 1/8 tank, it still shows you have about 100 miles to empty. Then crawl along in traffic with the A/C blasting and watch it drop from 100 miles to 70 while driving about 5 actual miles. It will do this because your mpg is down to about 10 and you just burned half a gallon in 5 miles instead of 25, and the computer is 'recalculating'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that the range is affected by MPG, which is in turn affected by a lot of other factors. The reason I ask is because she's been driving a pretty normal routine for the past year and this is the first time her range has changed this much or read this differently between the gauge, the trip computer, and the range remaining. I'll continue monitoring the numbers and see what happens.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to see if either the fuel range goes to zero before the car runs out of gas, which is hard because it just stops showing the range under 30 miles. Or if the car dies before the fuel gauge shows empty. Not sure, we'll see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take a freeway road trip and look at the miles to go after your 2nd or 3rd fill up.

For everyday, around town driving, it displays between 340 - 375 miles per fill up. On a freeway road trip, after the 2nd or 3rd fill up, it displays between 405 - 420 miles.

It can vary on whether (or how much) you top off your gas tank and your recent driving economy, factoring in freeways, hills, headwinds, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi, all. Last week, my girlfriend filled up her car and usually the mile range is about 370 for a full tank, but this time it was 350.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks.
Her foot us getting heavier. ;)

Also reset the trips.
My average speed has never been accurate.
Don't know how to fix it , anyone ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts