Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I currently drive a Hyundai Tucson V6 Front Wheel Drive (2007) Model and it has about 67,300Km, purchased the truck new. Since having the Tucson I've never experienced any problems with it, it's absolutely a fantastic truck to drive. However, I have noticed a slight decrease in the fuel consumption category, as previous spring/summer season I was able to drive 450Km per tank. Interesting enough now the Tucson barely makes 380km per tank. Every two years, I flush out all the fluids (Transmission, Brakes, Power Steering & Coolant) along with the Oil Change every (3) months. Note, I use Castrol Synthetic Oil for the Engine and all other fluids are changed by the Hyundai Dealer, so I am assuming they are using there own OEM Brands. The fuel type I use is the Regular unleaded...

I'm unsure what's happened, I currently reside in Ontario, Canada and during the Winter months here, I completely understand any vehicle burns more fuel in Winter, but I should see a difference in the Summer season with the fuel consumption. I have brought the truck to Hyundai and reported the fuel issue, they connected to the truck's ECM (computer) and ran there standard diagnostic as they call it and the computer checks out everything is working correctly. I don't carry extra items in the truck and I'm at a lost. Has anyone experienced this particular issue? I was also thinking maybe I should do the following, as I have not done so yet:

- Fuel Filter Replacement (I called Hyundai and they said you never need to replace the Filter, but if I insist they'll do it and reported it will take about 2 hours at a rate of $99.99 per hour)
- Spark Plug Replacement (1 hour to replace all 6 SP)

What do you think?

Once a month I pour the Fuel Injector cleaner into the gas tank, thinking maybe the injector is clogged. I have also done a Engine Flush Clean Treatment and nothing has improved the consumption.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise, but I already change the Engine & Cabin Filters twice a year and that hasn't improved the fuel consumption. I'm at a complete lost.. How's your Fuel consumption per tank?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (Tucson2007blue @ Jun 25 2011, 02:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=466504
Hey All,

I currently drive a Hyundai Tucson V6 Front Wheel Drive (2007) Model and it has about 67,300Km, purchased the truck new. Since having the Tucson I've never experienced any problems with it, it's absolutely a fantastic truck to drive. However, I have noticed a slight decrease in the fuel consumption category, as previous spring/summer season I was able to drive 450Km per tank. Interesting enough now the Tucson barely makes 380km per tank. Every two years, I flush out all the fluids (Transmission, Brakes, Power Steering & Coolant) along with the Oil Change every (3) months. Note, I use Castrol Synthetic Oil for the Engine and all other fluids are changed by the Hyundai Dealer, so I am assuming they are using there own OEM Brands. The fuel type I use is the Regular unleaded...

I'm unsure what's happened, I currently reside in Ontario, Canada and during the Winter months here, I completely understand any vehicle burns more fuel in Winter, but I should see a difference in the Summer season with the fuel consumption. I have brought the truck to Hyundai and reported the fuel issue, they connected to the truck's ECM (computer) and ran there standard diagnostic as they call it and the computer checks out everything is working correctly. I don't carry extra items in the truck and I'm at a lost. Has anyone experienced this particular issue? I was also thinking maybe I should do the following, as I have not done so yet:

- Fuel Filter Replacement (I called Hyundai and they said you never need to replace the Filter, but if I insist they'll do it and reported it will take about 2 hours at a rate of $99.99 per hour)
- Spark Plug Replacement (1 hour to replace all 6 SP)

What do you think?

Once a month I pour the Fuel Injector cleaner into the gas tank, thinking maybe the injector is clogged. I have also done a Engine Flush Clean Treatment and nothing has improved the consumption.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated!
Yeah, you need to look at the simple things first

Air filter really helps
Tire pressure is another biggie
Consider new "low rolling resistance" tires
Spark plugs should last 160 k kms so I don't think that's a prob
Fuel filter is not the prob
Injector cleaner probably won't help

Yeah, I'd say you need a new air filter and some better tires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 9 2011, 07:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=473283
Yeah, you need to look at the simple things first

Air filter really helps
Tire pressure is another biggie
Consider new "low rolling resistance" tires
Spark plugs should last 160 k kms so I don't think that's a prob
Fuel filter is not the prob
Injector cleaner probably won't help

I have the same car and I would check your tire pressure or consider LRR tires. Seems like you've done everything else...

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Based on all that he has reported already, I'd say that he is overly obsessive about maintenance already.

For instance, unless he drives a LOT of miles, changing out synthetic oil every 3 months is WAY overkill. Same for injector cleaner every month.

My suggestion would be: stop checking your fuel consumption on a "distance per fillup" basis. That is notoriously inaccurate. Maybe you started using a different station or the one you use adjusted their automatic nozzle to shut off earlier or maybe your gas gauge has changed a bit and you are actually filling up at a different point.

If you haven't done plugs lately, that might be a good idea.....along with inspecting the boots and wires.

Oh, and stop doing things like an "engine flush". That might do more harm than good. An occasional dose of injector cleaner is ALL the chemical additives that you need.

The bottom line might be that you just have enough overall engine wear that there isn't much you can do about it. Maybe "summer blend" gas will help. Many swear it does but I've never noticed a difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The air cleaner does not affect gas mileage. The computer components control the gas mileage by adjusting the air fuel mix. The air cleaner will only affect performance when it becomes restricted.

·
Registered
101 Posts
In 20 years of keeping fuel consumption records I have never seen an improvement in gas mileage from changing the air filter.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
In 20 years of keeping fuel consumption records I have never seen an improvement in gas mileage from changing the air filter.
Good for you. That means that YOU aren't neglecting important routine maintenance items; all drivers are not so consciencious.

Over my 45 years of driving/wrenching I have seen oil bath air cleaners that were dry and FULL of dirt and paper air filters in various states of dis-array......from mouse eaten with holes to plugged with sand. :eek:

I've heard that love bugs can be problematic too but have never seen that personally.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Quit pouring stuff into the fuel.. likely the additives is goofing the Ox sensor values the alter the fuel trim slightly.. long shot. Could be effect of fuel blend (recipe).. Not unusual to see decline in mileage during winter month, and slight increase during,, I lose 3-5mpg when winter come along, gain 3-5mpg when summer time.

Plain old gasoline from the pump the pump is al you need, I refuel every 4 day due to drive to work and back 5 day/week, maybe sooner if I travel during weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts