Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Recently purchased a Terracan and really love it so far. I wondered if somebody could explain why there is this additional fuel filter on the car. It seems aftermarket to me. I'm in no way a mechanic but it looks like fuel is coming through this from the tank. Not sure why the actual fuel filter has been bypassed? Any ideas?
terry.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,

that does not look good.

I notice that the primer has gone too, it should be in that empty clip, maybe that split or maybe the whole fuel line rotted away, you will need to check and see how far back the rubber fuel pipe runs.

I would advise you to get a proper filter and fit it asap, if for no other reason than there is nothing in that setup to stop water getting to the injectors.
Injectors are very expensive, as is the high pressure fuel pump, neither of them tolerate water at all.

An aftermarket fuel filter can be had on e bay for £10.99 or a genuine Delphi for £21.99.
A replacement primer, around £20.

An inline filter like that one, £1 to £1.50.

Four new fuel injectors will cost £740, a new high pressure fuel pump, reconditioned, £240 and then they have to be fitted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I think the silver filter in the picture is the one it should be passing through. Is that correct? The question is why has it been bypassed with this inappropriate filter? It looks like the silver filter is pretty new as well but it's only being used to dump excess fuel back into the tank (as far as I can tell). Would there be a reason for this?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Without first hand experience in my mind I'm thinking economics and /or maybe the primer perished and it was an emergency repair or a cheap solution.I'm not even sure if my diagram is correct for you application, I'll leave it to someone who actually knows to comment further.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,
as I wrote, you really need to restore the fuel line to its original specification or you run the risk of contaminated fuel reaching very expensive parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent, will do. I've purchased the primer and the filter. My garage said I'll also need to supply them with the filter housing? Can someone please send me a link to what that is please.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,

the filter on mine is just like yours, it fits into the bracket that grips it round its "waist".
To remove it requires only to undo the bolt on the bracket, undo the quick release pipes and lift it out.
Hard to see exactly from your image but it looks as if it is all still there, at least from the top.

Looking at Gerard2's exploded diagram, you will also need several bits of the original pipework that seem to have gone missing.

31371D (two parts) to and from the fuel heater is not there and neither is 31373E, filter to high pressure pump.

It looks as if the main feed from the fuel tank has been bypassed, the pipes are metal and rot away.

You will need to look or ask your garage to look and see what the other end of that replacement pipe is joined to.

You could print Gerard's exploded diagram and take it with you to give them and you some idea of what should be there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Extremely helpful. It's very useful info to go to the garage with. I've attached some more photos of what's going on. There seems to be something disconnected (the photo taken looking up). I think that's 31372E as you mentioned? If there is any other pipework missing that you can see please let me know. I always find it cheaper and quicker to source as many parts as possible myself
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-17 at 07.59.47(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-17 at 07.59.47.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-17 at 07.59.48.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-17 at 08.33.59(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-17 at 08.33.59.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,
very useful pictures.
It is clear that the metal fuel pipe from the tank has been bypassed but whoever did it has also bypassed the fuel heater and the filter.
That is the disconnected pipe in your picture and 31371D (longer pipe) in the exploded diagram.

The job would have been much better done if the replacement rubber pipe had been connected to the metal pipe in your picture below the connection with the plastic pipe, then all the rest of the plumbing could have been left in place.
I think this is what you should ask your garage to do and then restore the fuel heater and filter pipework.

Here is mine

Here are the parts you need, marked missing and cut.
The rubber pipe seem to have successfully replaced 31311G bypassed.

Please note, either 31375D or the short pipe 31371D has been used to bridge the filter connections. You will need to check the condition of the one used and if it's OK, replace the other, otherwise replace both.
I think that they used 31375D.

Here is another view

I hope this will help you and them sort this out.
Nick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is fantastic! Thanks for you work on this! I'm having real trouble finding these pipes online. Is there anyone you'd recommend trying to pick them up from in the UK?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Me too.
You could try Korea Auto Parts.
They are actually in Korea and have most things.
Not too dear either.

You could also try contact with one of the many breakers on e bay and ask them direct.
The pipes don't seem to deteriorate with age, so second hand would probably work.
Looking at some of the images, you would need to ask them to take them off, rather than cut them, as seems to be the way.

Otherwise, they could possibly get away with the same rubber pipe and jubilee clips.
Much cheaper and should still work.

·
Registered
599 Posts
This is fantastic! Thanks for you work on this! I'm having real trouble finding these pipes online. Is there anyone you'd recommend trying to pick them up from in the UK?
If you listed what you needed it'd be easier to help.

I'd check KORAPS out too, Some of their stuff is on Ebay which can be cheaper freight wise.

Starting with this number , will give you 3 parts

31371H1950 , this is group 31371D

This will give you hose group 31372E,
31372H1950

Vapour Hose 31373E
31373H1950

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Gerard,

thank you very much for the suggestion of KORAPS.
I took a quick look and they seem to have all that is required at a reasonable cost too.

I bought an injector harness from Korea Auto Parts in January and it cost only £35.60,
delivered to my door from Korea and a genuine part all bagged and labelled.

I will most certainly try KORAPS next time (hopefully not too soon)..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks both. Really appreciate it!

I've purchased all of those. Do you think this is something I could have a go at fixing myself? I like to have a go if I can. The connections seem pretty straight forward but I've never done anything like this before. Is there anything I need to be aware of when attempting this myself? I know air in a diesel system is a no no so I'm a little worried about that :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,
it's a matter for you to decide.
It is vital that no dirt gets in but care should make that unlikely.
The only possibly tricky part is making a good clean and leak proof joint at the end of the original diesel pipe from the tank.
Once you have all the new pipework in place, priming the system should be easy.
I think you have more than enough information to accurately replace the original layout.
Which ever way you go, good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts