Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We changed the fuel filter on my Terracan a couple of months ago - just out of warranty so first time that a non-hyundai part fitted. Since changing the filter the 'water in fuel filter' warning light is coming on every couple of weeks. If we drain the filter the light will go out but it comes on again after a while (every 200 miles or so). The car is running fine both before the light comes on and also when it is on. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
1,462 Posts
QUOTE (hannahsfield @ Apr 17 2010, 05:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314036
Hi

We changed the fuel filter on my Terracan a couple of months ago - just out of warranty so first time that a non-hyundai part fitted. Since changing the filter the 'water in fuel filter' warning light is coming on every couple of weeks. If we drain the filter the light will go out but it comes on again after a while (every 200 miles or so). The car is running fine both before the light comes on and also when it is on. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I am sure your new filter (oem, original or not) is not to blame here. The thing here is that it only takes one tankfull of contaminated fuel, to screw up things.

If every 200 or so miles the light comes on, then it stays off for a while (after draining the filter), it only means one thing: You have water in the fuel tank! The fuel filter is doing exactly as it is supposed to. Separating the water and telling you you have to drain it.

I suggest draining the whole fuel tank into a clear plastic container. Then, leave drained fuel to sit for a while. Then you will be able to see all the water concentrating at the bottom.

RB

·
Registered
199 Posts
QUOTE (Robert B. @ Apr 20 2010, 11:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314958
I am sure your new filter (oem, original or not) is not to blame here. The thing here is that it only takes one tankfull of contaminated fuel, to screw up things.

If every 200 or so miles the light comes on, then it stays off for a while (after draining the filter), it only means one thing: You have water in the fuel tank! The fuel filter is doing exactly as it is supposed to. Separating the water and telling you you have to drain it.

I suggest draining the whole fuel tank into a clear plastic container. Then, leave drained fuel to sit for a while. Then you will be able to see all the water concentrating at the bottom.

RB
Much easier to check what is drained from the filter. It will be easy to see if water is present. If water shows up after several drain offs then there is almost certainly water in the tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts