Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have recently bought an oem fuel filter for my '03 elantra (1.6 liter), part number: 31911-2D000.
Problem is that i can't find a decent and FULL guide on how to exactly change it, watched a bunch of crappy youtube videos which didn't explain good at all, does anyone have full instructions on how to do this job without fuel shooting everywhere and without having issues with the fuel gauge afterwards?
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
When I owned a older vehicle, I would change the in line fuel filter
And it would take maybe ten minutes.

Hyundai and many other car makers have decided to put the fuel filter in the gas tank
Which makes maintenance of the vehicles so much harder

I have seen those youtube videos about changing the Elantra fuel filter.
Not great. But, to have a really good video about it, you will have to shoot one yourself.
If you do then I guarantee that I will watch it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
These in tank filters are more or less lifetime units.

I have changed one on an XD Elantra and an SM Santa Fe, it’s finicky and you need to pay attention where the little o-rings go.

The screws that hold the sending unit to the flange tend to get rusted in place in rust belt areas.

Main steps , pull fuel pump fuse then try to start car to drain line pressure, lots of rags to absorb gas drips from fuel lines.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hello,
I have recently bought an oem fuel filter for my '03 elantra (1.6 liter), part number: 31911-2D000.
Problem is that i can't find a decent and FULL guide on how to exactly change it, watched a bunch of crappy youtube videos which didn't explain good at all, does anyone have full instructions on how to do this job without fuel shooting everywhere and without having issues with the fuel gauge afterwards?
Thanks a lot!
An in tank filter....why does it need to be changed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owner's manual clearly states it needs to be replaced every 5 years, it is NOT a lifetime unit. Please guys instead of questioning one's request,just help. and thanks alot!

·
Registered
882 Posts
My advise is just drive until it dies, or replace the whole assembly. Too many plastic parts there. You may break the fuel line, fuel level gauge, or plastic clips and cause more problem. There's also a strainer that should be replaced, which maybe 31090-2D050. Just return the filter

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
The owner's manual clearly states it needs to be replaced every 5 years, it is NOT a lifetime unit. Please guys instead of questioning one's request,just help. and thanks alot!
You just answered my simple question of why you want to replace it and you did it without even knowing it. If you can't take the time to answer a simple question or two why should we just help, and you are welcome ALOT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The comment was for the one above your comment dude, for the "pretty lifetime" part of it, i would glad if some1 has instructions/advices on how to make this job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i tried doing it' only to be stopped at the very beginning by this black plastic cover shown in the pic, didnt know how to pull it out, tried to twist and pull with my hands to no effect.
stopped doing it after a while cause i didnt want anything to break, any suggestions on how to pull it out?

Attachments

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
so i tried doing it' only to be stopped at the very beginning by this black plastic cover shown in the pic, didnt know how to pull it out, tried to twist and pull with my hands to no effect.
stopped doing it after a while cause i didnt want anything to break, any suggestions on how to pull it out?
It twists off like the lid to a jar.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,323 Posts
It twists off like the lid of a jar, but only after you've loosened it using a hammer and screwdriver.

BTW, it kinda looks like the second terminal in from the right on your photo has been heating up a little. You might have a poor connection on one of your fuel pump terminals in the harness connector.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It twists off like the lid of a jar, but only after you've loosened it using a hammer and screwdriver.

BTW, it kinda looks like the second terminal in from the right on your photo has been heating up a little. You might have a poor connection on one of your fuel pump terminals in the harness connector.

thanks a lot! so to loosen it u suggest to put a screwdriver in an angle to one of the black plastic cover ledges and hammer it in order make it twist and only then do it by hand?
and what should i do about that harness thingy?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,323 Posts
thanks a lot! so to loosen it u suggest to put a screwdriver in an angle to one of the black plastic cover ledges and hammer it in order make it twist and only then do it by hand?
Exactly.

Vilifood said:
and what should i do about that harness thingy?
Ideally you'd want to replace that terminal in the harness connector. It's probably not making a good tight connection to the mating terminal on the pump module which is causing it to heat up. It's only going to get worse if you don't deal with it now, and could end up causing the engine to intermittently cut out while your driving. Extracting terminals from connectors can be tricky though, especially if you don't have the correct tools. It might be easier to go to a breakers yard and cut the harness connector off a scrap car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
autospark thx for the good advice,a few gentle hits with the hammer and a piece of wood loosend the black circle plastic cover.
few advices for the ones out there trying to ever make this job: DONT FORGET transferring all the rubber washers and o-ring from the old filter to the new one, the new one doesnt come with them!
they are located in two locations, one is very visible and the other one is hidden behind the opening in the filter which connects to the fuel pump.

the previous owner replaced the fuel filter 5 years ago (55k KM) and i have cut open the old filter to show you that there is no such thing as "lifetime filter" , you will see that mine isn't that bad, but the filter's clothe was very very brittle so i think it was a good preventative maintenance, motivation for the ones out there ever trying this proccess:

Attachments

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
autospark thx for the good advice,a few gentle hits with the hammer and a piece of wood loosend the black circle plastic cover.
few advices for the ones out there trying to ever make this job: DONT FORGET transferring all the rubber washers and o-ring from the old filter to the new one, the new one doesnt come with them!

You should NOT use the old o-rings for the filter. If they didn't come with the kit you should buy new one(s). The large rubber ring that seals the unit to the tank can be used if it in fair shape.

They are located in two locations, one is very visible and the other one is hidden behind the opening in the filter which connects to the fuel pump.

the previous owner replaced the fuel filter 5 years ago (55k KM) and i have cut open the old filter to show you that there is no such thing as "lifetime filter"

Normally they will be fine for the life of the pump and just replace it as a unit.

, you will see that mine isn't that bad, but the filter's clothe was very very brittle so i think it was a good preventative maintenance, motivation for the ones out there ever trying this proccess:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts