Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my fuel filter in my 2014 Elantra and now I have an erratic reading on my gauge. I can fill the tank and it will show 4 bars of fuel, but then it will rise very very slowly over a period of time and the distance to empty goes down really quickly.Everything was done right except I didn't disconnect the battery before I started. Could this be a problem, or if I disconnect the battery now will that solve the problem? Also, is there a pin code for the radio if I do disconnect the battery?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Not sure how you changed just the filter since it's integrated into the pump assembly itself along with the sending unit but it sounds like the sending unit got damaged. You can try resetting it but I doubt it'll help. There is no radio code, at least not in US spec models. Not sure about Australia.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Check fuel pump connectors first. I don't think disconnecting the battery can affect the fuel pump assembly. You don't need to change the filter, just replace the whole assembly when it break down.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Curious why you had to replace it? I still have the original in my 2011, 123,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. We changed the filter as my book says to change it at 60,000 km for warranty purposes. I don't have a lot of money and the mechanics here wanted $460.00 to replace the filter and as my brother is a qualified fitter he knows all about engines and stuff. I bought a filter from Ebay and we just replaced the internal parts of the pump, which was the filter. Everything was put back properly but we can't work out why I have this problem now. My wife put $45.00 worth of fuel in the car yesterday (Thursday) and that gives us a full tank and it now shows 4 bars of fuel and about 115k's to empty. What happens when the distance to empty gets to zero? Does the car stop running??? I'm at a loss and any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds like the float is getting hung up. When you reinstalled the pump assembly, are you sure you had it oriented correctly? It's a note in the installation instructions, so it must be possible to install the pump wrong. There is a groove in the tank that is a reference point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We took the pump back out because we thought the float was getting caught up in something, but that was not the problem. As of yesterday (Saturday 15/6/2018) I still had 4 bars of fuel showing and done less than 100 km since Thursday filling up, and am now down to about 77 km distance to empty. I have no idea what's going on.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You may have to replace the whole pump assembly,now. You stated, you replaced the filter, so you wouldn't void the warranty. In your owners manual,does it specifically say that the filter needs replaced, at 60,000km?. The US owners manual doesnt.
Fuel filters don't go bad, like they used to. I had a 98 Chrysler, with 268,000 miles, still on the original filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts