Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 Santa Fe Sport AWD. When I tried to fill it the gas kept shutting off. I decided to put it on the slowest fill notch (very frustrating). When it shut off again I restarted filling and put 4 more gallons in. Any ideas how to fix this?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
5yr/60,000 warranty

Canister likely restricted in the vent path from fuel over flow the fill vent valve

If I recall, repair is to replace fuel tank and canister

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Probably evap charcoal canister and/or vent valve clogged or stuck

Air must flow out for gasoline to flow into tank
If vent valve or charcoal canister clogged or stuck closed then will cause issue with re-filling gas tank
Your car is new enough that it should be covered by warranty??

·
Registered
882 Posts
show it to dealer as soon as possible, and never overfill the tank. If you overfill it and they discover the flooded canister, the warranty may void, even you know it's their fault

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mine does it too. Easiest fix is to not stick nozzle in as far.

Was too lazy to get it fixed and the car goes back in 8 months so I don't really care anymore.

Also, try a different gas station.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
To clarify what Camper said, and this applies to all modern vehicles. Most of the time you know roughly how much fuel the vehicle needs based upon the fuel gauge reading. When the tank is full and the nozzle clicks off, you may add fuel one more time. The second time it clicks off STOP. Trying to "fully top off" the tank as some folks do can lead to fuel going places that it should not, such as the charcoal canister and repairs for that may not be covered by any vehicle warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts