Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My vehicle giving me lower fuel economy(with even premium fuel) now, after getting short block changed very recently.

I drive as normal and easy as i used to, keeping my rpms lows and not reving hard, No cruise/constant speed, no uphill driving.

Is it common to get poor fuel economy once short block changed ?
dealership did not suggest me any spec for break in,
But Do i have to follow any break in process ?

:|

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
Hi Bob

A new short block should be treated the same as a new engine break in and there are probably a half dozen theories on proper engine break in. The most common is keep the rpm low, MPH under 60-70 and vary the speed for the first 500 miles I believe that is similar to what is in the Hyundai owners manual. Then there is what a lot of engine and performance builders do take it out and warm it up then do a half dozen acceleration runs, 0-30 0-60 etc and call it done (thats the drive it like you stole it method) but performance engines are usually much better QC and tolerances better and there are people that will say no break in on modern engines they are ready to go, or there is just take it easy for the first 1000 miles or so.

But what every you chose in most cases its good to do an early oil change especially with a partial rebuild (short or long block) to get any debris and initial break in lube out of the engine. Ive always done the first oil change at 1000 miles and then the normal schedule.

It is possible that your fuel economy will improve as the engine breaks in but if it doesnt take it back something was not done because it is the same engine and should be performing the same as your previous engine did before it went south.

When did your car get dx for a replacement? Did it blow or just start knocking or using to much oil? How long was the car at the dealer to get it done.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
Bob
Saw the other thread you posted about the oil consumption and low compression so they warrantied the engine, did it get done in 2 days? That is probably the fastest warranty engine replacement Ive heard of, your dealer seems to be on the job.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@xaran yes they finished the job in day and half. Car was at dealership for 2 days.

Here is the work order I got, all the items are small parts except shaft assembly.

Is that not a complete short block change ?

PS next oil change is recommended at 3000kms by service advisor.

Pic enclosed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
@xaran yes they finished the job in day and half. Car was at dealership for 2 days.

Here is the work order I got, all the items are small parts except shaft assembly.

Is that not a complete short block change ?

PS next oil change is recommended at 3000kms by service advisor.

Pic enclosed

Hi Bob

I see the second item is reman shor, I would assume it was a short block (engine without heads). I had read that they only are doing long blocks from Hyundai in the replacement warranty but I guess not. Id like to hear from @SBR what he sees at his dealership.

Either way treat it like a new engine how ever you are comfortable breaking it in. Even on a new Sonata they recommend the first oil change at 3000 miles but I have always done it at 1,000 to be safe (just my feeling about getting out the assembly lube and any contaminates) then Ill change again at 3,000 and from then on whatever service schedule meets your driving. For me Im 80% hwy at 60-85 mph and 20% city but not bad stop and go so I change every 5,000. So far in a little over a year at 46,000 miles + I have no oil usage (oil at full level at change and at 5000 miles at full or a hair less), car runs great and when I do the intake cleaning it does not produce a lot of exhaust smoke so it seems that there is not much carbon buildup.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update.

So turned out coolant is going low again, in 2 weeks of short block replaced coolant reservoir is empty. pulled over at dealership and brought this issue to their concern, they top up coolant for now and will see how it goes in few weeks.

PS fuel economy was 10.7 L / 100 kms with premium gas ... 11.5L/ 100kms with regular gas.
Hope it gets better by time, prob after first oil change.

·
Registered
689 Posts
hi bob that coolant issue looks to be still persisting from even before the repair.

I wonder how many times they need to monitor the coolant. it can be bad causing overheating suddenly, so check it daily to be safe. use a erasable ink pen to mark and date the coolant reservoir.

did you try taking it on highway yet to see mileage?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s good suggestions,

I didn’t drive on highway yet but i drive on freeway everyday with 90-100kph.
Anyways this time I fuel up with regular gas and meter showing more poorer fuel economy than premium gas.
Service advisor also told me to wait until couple
Thousands kms to let ring set perfectly to get best fuel Economy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts