Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 07 santa fe has started to develope an issue with the fuel door not always opening when the button is pressed. I haven't had to use the manual release yet but sometimes you have to hit the button 5-10 times before you hear the click and it opens.
The vehicle just went off warrenty(of course!) and since the nearest Hyundai dealer is 2 1/2 hours away it would be nice to work on it myself.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Head back to the rear while someone pushes, and see if you can hear anything at all when the button is pressed but the door doesn't open. Need to know if the solenoid is trying at all. It's possible that it is weak or sticking, and that's why you don't hear the 'clunk' each time. You will hear a tiny bump even if it doesn't successfully release.

Could be button, could be door harness, could be solenoid. Other possibilities pretty far down the list.

Once you've decided whether it's trying at all, even when it doesn't open, the electrical troubleshooting begins - starting with seeing if there's any juice getting to the solenoid when you push the button.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Excactly the same issue with my 07 SF.
I've been told that it is a known deficiency.
Haven't got around to look at it in more detail since I have done an LPG conversion to my SF for more than a year and as such I only need to gas up once every 3-4 months.
Its is only necessary for starting up the car and then LPG takes over, or I have to use it when I happen to run out of lpg and cannot locate an LPG station nearby.

Let us know if you find the real cause.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i went and messed around with it last night and I noticed that if i keep repeatedly hitting the release button the door release will clunk like usual than i will hear a single click sound and everything stops making sounds. If i keep on hitting the button it will eventually start working again.
I wonder if that click sound i hear before it stops working is the solenoid malfuntioning? I think i can rule out the switch itself since that click sound comes from the rear of the vehicle. I'm going to try and figure out how to take the plastic panel off the rear quarter panel so i can get in there and really have a good look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
baptiste2

I am having the same problem with my fuel tank release. I took the car to the dealer and they could not find any problem with it. I personally think that the 2007 Santa Fe's have some electrical problems that the manufacturers are afraid to admit because of cost. The outer (plastic) cover for my car is cracked because I had to pry the door open.... stay tuned...:confused:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Unfortunately, checking the solenoid for binding or an open coil isn't that easy. However, I'd suggest that it's not likely that the coil is intermittent, so back there, it's more likely to either be a connection or mechanical issue. Here's how Hyundai recommends access to the solenoid (not fun):

1.Remove the rear seat. (Refer to the Body group - Rear seat).
2.Remove the luggage side trim. (Refer to the internal trim)
3.Open the fuel filler door and disconnect the wiring connector after loosening 2 nuts.
4.Check for continuity between terminal No. 1 and No. 2. If there is no continuity replace the fuel filler door release actuator (A).

Note that what they are calling the "fuel filler door release actuator" is what I'm simply calling the "solenoid".

As for the switch up front, that's no fun, either. They abbreviate this set of instructions, and then you get to dig into door panel removal procedures!:

1.Remove the front door trim panel. (Refer to the Body group - front door)
2.Disconnect the switch connector (4P) from wiring.
3.Check the switch for continuity between the No. 1 and No. 2 terminals.
4.If the continuity is not as specified, replace the switch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my case the solenoid is dead. After I removed the connector behind the solenoid i used a digital multimeter to see if there is any voltage present, and there was a nice 12.5v every time I pushed the release switch on the driver door. When I tested the solenoid I got back 0.8 ohms which is pretty much a short in my opinion even without knowing the normal value.

And yes, it's a pain in the @$$ to remove the panels and the trim to get to the solenoid. I just did that and it's not funny.

I believe it's possible to avoid all that pain just by removing the panel used to access the rear lamp assembly & the light bulbs. For that you have to have a small/thin hand and kinda know where the solenoid is and how it looks like.

REMEMBER...if the solenoid/switch/wiring is defective you can/should open the fill door by pulling the small T handle from inside the trunk, left/driver side.

The solenoid is hold in place by to screws very easy accessible once you open the fuel door and remove the cap.
On the right side of the cap you'll see 2 screws (painted same color like the car) that can easily be removed with a socket key, or a fixed one...pretty much any kind of key. The screw is about size 10mm, don't remember exactly.
The nuts are welded on the solenoid assembly so don't worry, nothing will fall or get lost. Also the solenoid has some kind of plastic clips around the locking pin. You can see them right in between the screws and around the pin when you open the fill door. All those clips are used just to hold in place the solenoid during the assembly process until the screws are installed. Don't worry, once you removed the screws just wiggle and pull the solenoid and the clips will release the assembly quite easily (or not...).

The assembly is the reverse of the removal....I really love this phrase.

I have a few pictures if anyone interested, not a masterpiece but sometimes can help.
My solenoid is made by HMC and it's a 12v solenoid. Part number is 95720-3K000 and the best price I found so far is $55.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Beware of Hyundai stealerships practice

In my case the solenoid is dead. After I removed the connector behind the solenoid i used a digital multimeter to see if there is any voltage present, and there was a nice 12.5v every time I pushed the release switch on the driver door. When I tested the solenoid I got back 0.8 ohms which is pretty much a short in my opinion even without knowing the normal value.

And yes, it's a pain in the @$$ to remove the panels and the trim to get to the solenoid. I just did that and it's not funny.

I believe it's possible to avoid all that pain just by removing the panel used to access the rear lamp assembly & the light bulbs. For that you have to have a small/thin hand and kinda know where the solenoid is and how it looks like.

REMEMBER...if the solenoid/switch/wiring is defective you can/should open the fill door by pulling the small T handle from inside the trunk, left/driver side.

The solenoid is hold in place by to screws very easy accessible once you open the fuel door and remove the cap.
On the right side of the cap you'll see 2 screws (painted same color like the car) that can easily be removed with a socket key, or a fixed one...pretty much any kind of key. The screw is about size 10mm, don't remember exactly.
The nuts are welded on the solenoid assembly so don't worry, nothing will fall or get lost. Also the solenoid has some kind of plastic clips around the locking pin. You can see them right in between the screws and around the pin when you open the fill door. All those clips are used just to hold in place the solenoid during the assembly process until the screws are installed. Don't worry, once you removed the screws just wiggle and pull the solenoid and the clips will release the assembly quite easily (or not...).

The assembly is the reverse of the removal....I really love this phrase.

I have a few pictures if anyone interested, not a masterpiece but sometimes can help.
My solenoid is made by HMC and it's a 12v solenoid. Part number is 95720-3K000 and the best price I found so far is $55.
==========================================================================

Updates as of DEC 17 2012

The solenoid is not dead and 0.8 ohms is the normal reading at the terminal. I compared that with a brand new one I just got dirty cheap ($55) from a Hyundai stealership after they matched the online price, not without a fight.

Now the problem is that I got stuck with a brand new one and the stealership is not willing to take it back saying that the part has been used when in fact I only test it to make sure it's working good. If anyone need a brand new OPENER ASSEMBLY - FUEL FILLER DOOR (GAS TANK DOOR) 95720-3K000 just let me know. You can have it for $55 + free shipping. If you live in Arizona I can deliver it for you.

In my case the problem was the Switch that's on the driver's door right underneath the Trunk Release Switch. Beside being smoked pretty bad the plastic inside got melted somehow and the contacts where no longer able to touch each other. I cleaned all that smoke from the contacts with a knife and I cut about 1/8" from the plastic piston that holds the spring in place allowing this way to the contacts to touch each other again. Overall a $0 dollars fix...except the $55 solenoid I got stuck with.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'm confused, too. We seem to have drifted from one topic to another.

The switch below the armrest on a Santa Fe is for the fuel door release. There is a t-handle style emergency pull for the fuel door inside the panel behind the fuel door area, and it is marked with the picture of a fuel pump.

As for trunk release .. unless recent models have added something I hadn't noticed, it's strictly your hand on the release handle outside the vehicle. Emergency t-handles for a 'trunk' release are only incorporated where the 'trunk' is an enclosed space -- not a Santa Fe design at all.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm confused, too. We seem to have drifted from one topic to another.

The switch below the armrest on a Santa Fe is for the fuel door release. There is a t-handle style emergency pull for the fuel door inside the panel behind the fuel door area, and it is marked with the picture of a fuel pump.

As for trunk release .. unless recent models have added something I hadn't noticed, it's strictly your hand on the release handle outside the vehicle. Emergency t-handles for a 'trunk' release are only incorporated where the 'trunk' is an enclosed space -- not a Santa Fe design at all.
Canderson, thanks for the info on the small panel in the back on the SantaFe I forgot about that, as far as the trunk release I checked back on the other email below "In my case the problem was the Switch that's on the driver's door right underneath the Trunk Release Switch. Beside being smoked pretty bad the plastic inside got melted somehow and the contacts where no longer able to touch each other. I cleaned all that smoke from the contacts with a knife and I cut about 1/8" from the plastic piston that holds the spring in place allowing this way to the contacts to touch each other again. Overall a $0 dollars fix...except the $55 solenoid I got stuck with.
Last edited by 5haggy; 12-17-2012 at 01:53 PM."
5haggy has a Sonata.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.