Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all fellow Sonatistas! After lurking and learning much for months, my parole officer (wonderful woman, really.... ;)) is finally allowing me to register, here, and post, even..... :D

The Sontata is a 2013, Limited, without Nav. It does have the regular sun/moon roof. It is 6 months young. Overall, it is a pleasant ride: to drive*, ride in, and of course, to look at.

There are a few minor fit and finish items that hopefully the dealer will correct when it's in for it's 6 month service this week. All were brought to their attention at, or very shortly after, delivery.

After searching the forum, I have a few questions remaining for your input, the first of which is the topic of this thread.

The Fuel Door (fuel filler cover, gas filler cover) is not flush with the surrounding body. It seemed to quickly worsen in the first week or two. Instead, it protrudes approximately 1/16th to 1/8th inch at the rear edge. The gap between the body and the top of the fuel door is relatively large, and both the gap and protrusion is there than at the bottom. Rotating the attached photo might help one get a better idea. (The car is dirty, pending it's time at the dealer.)

This, of course, is not major as it is now (it works fine, otherwise), but it might present a vandalism "target". It also might worsen, and it looks poor.

I can not see any way to adjust it.

Thanks very much for your assistance, folks!

*Hopefully, it's most serious performance flaw will be corrected, once the dealer alters the EPS setting to "Sport".
-------------
- Related, but not dispositive, prior threads (can't post links yet):
222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/141641-how-do-you-remove-fuel-door-cover
222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/124520-fuel-door-recall-adjustment
222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/123081-fuel-door-problem

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Photo: Fuel Door

Photo uploaded, viewed in preview, and viewed in actual post in thread. It then disappeared. Size violation, perhaps. Reduced file size, but by then, exceeded edit window, hence follow-up post for photo. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Time for a dumb question...are you closing the door all the way until it clicks? If so, take it back to the dealer. No reason they shouldn't fix this on a 2013. Stuff like that is usually covered for 12 months without question. Probably would take a couple minutes.

Now if YOU try to fix it and bend something or make it look like you tried and damaged something, you might get some push back about warranty fix. What I'm trying to say is don't be a super hero when it is covered at the dealer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Photo uploaded, viewed in preview, and viewed in actual post in thread. It then disappeared. Size violation, perhaps. Reduced file size, but by then, exceeded edit window, hence follow-up post for photo. Thanks again!
It can be adjusted but requires the removal of the left trunk liner for access to the nut which holds the lock pin. Earlier models had a campaign to adjust that same lock due to intermittent problems opening the fuel door, the adjustment removed some of the tension on the pin when the door was too flush with the quarter panel. I guess they have over done it to reduce any complaints. The campaign did mention to adjust the lock but ensure the panels were flush. My 2011 panel is similar to your but I've been to lazy to correct it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time for a dumb question...are you closing the door all the way until it clicks? If so, take it back to the dealer. No reason they shouldn't fix this on a 2013. Stuff like that is usually covered for 12 months without question. Probably would take a couple minutes.

Now if YOU try to fix it and bend something or make it look like you tried and damaged something, you might get some push back about warranty fix. What I'm trying to say is don't be a super hero when it is covered at the dealer.
Hello hoby2hq2, and thanks very much for your speedy reply.

Unfortunately, it is being closed all the way until it clicks.

I did forgot to mention an important point: A few months ago, the dealer Service Rep. (new to Hyundai at the time) said that there was no adjustment for the fuel door. The post below yours indicates that this is incorrect, at least for the 2011 model year. It seems some ability to adjust any hinged opening would make more sense. Thanks again for your helpful reply.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It can be adjusted but requires the removal of the left trunk liner for access to the nut which holds the lock pin. Earlier models had a campaign to adjust that same lock due to intermittent problems opening the fuel door, the adjustment removed some of the tension on the pin when the door was too flush with the quarter panel. I guess they have over done it to reduce any complaints. The campaign did mention to adjust the lock but ensure the panels were flush. My 2011 panel is similar to your but I've been to lazy to correct it.
Hello sienna1. Thank you for your quick response. OK! That there is a way to adjust this is good to hear, as the dealer Service Rep. who was new to Hyundai at the time, said that there was no adjustment.

I do not want to have it so tight that that causes problems with the door properly opening and closing, though.

Thanks very much for your very helpful reply!

·
Registered
578 Posts
There should be enough play (hopefully) in the hole where the pin is secured which will allow for some inward movement. This should bring the fuel door more flush with the quarter panel.

·
Registered
879 Posts
If my new car looked like that, and they said it couldn't be adjusted, then I'd tell them to replace it. Unacceptable like that. Something is bent outta whack.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks sienna1 for your reply.

There should be enough play (hopefully) in the hole where the pin is secured which will allow for some inward movement. This should bring the fuel door more flush with the quarter panel.
As long as the available cure, including removing and replacing the trunk liner, isn't worse than the defect itself.

Thanks guitarfish for your reply.

If my new car looked like that, and they said it couldn't be adjusted, then I'd tell them to replace it. Unacceptable like that. Something is bent outta whack.
The whole car, or just the fuel door....? Wait to you see the next defect questions!*

Never had a car with a plastic fuel door before. Figures, though it may save weight. Thanks again Gf!

*I'd link to them as posted, but: can't link here yet, and 20 minute edit window probably would preclude that.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Most cars nowadays have these "weight saver" measures. At least we all got spare tires, unlike the what other mfg's are doing with the can-o-slime and air pump.

FWIW OP, my car also has this issue but I also have 83K. Just learned to live with it, and really its not too noticeable until you get up close. Service also told me no adjustment possible...never tried to do it myself. Maybe when we get a bit of warm weather I will play around with it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your reply Adogg!

Most cars nowadays have these "weight saver" measures. At least we all got spare tires, unlike the what other mfg's are doing with the can-o-slime and air pump.

FWIW OP, my car also has this issue but I also have 83K. Just learned to live with it, and really its not too noticeable until you get up close. Service also told me no adjustment possible...never tried to do it myself. Maybe when we get a bit of warm weather I will play around with it.
With CAFE requirements, the laws of physics, and other pressures, they must! For folks who live and/or travel in sparsely populated areas, the donut tires may not even really suffice.

Sorry to hear your Sonata is likewise afflicted, though like you say, it's not really noticeable until close inspection.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your response Guitarfish.

You need a WHOLE NEW CAR, lol.

Reminds me of a joke - How does a blonde change a light bulb? She says, "Daddy I need a new apartment!"
Yea, the ashtrays* are full, time for a new one........

*Oh, no, giving away my age. What, like, OMG, cars had ashtrays??

·
Registered
53 Posts
...... i just took a look at my '14 Limited, it has a gap on the bottom right corner as well.. if you push it in a little bit it delves in, and its completely flush but without little force holding it in, it pops out just slightly

maybe it was engineree'd that way? did anyone have this fixed? or just have the dealership fix it. Last thing i want is to fix something that's not really broken and other issues arise along with the fix

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
...... i just took a look at my '14 Limited, it has a gap on the bottom right corner as well.. if you push it in a little bit it delves in, and its completely flush but without little force holding it in, it pops out just slightly ...
Hi Yori-. On the 2014 loaner from the dealer, there is some slight play in the fuel door, but it remains flush, or at least much closer to flush with the quarter panel, than on my 2013. I cycled it a few times already, with no change. I will try cycling it again, tomorrow.

I agree with you about not wanting other new problems from fixes (or worse, from vain fix attempts)!

SIDE NOTE (OT): Already mentioned by others elsewhere, a few very welcome corrections from the 2013 to the 2014 noted on a short drive today in rough order of their importance, to me
(rear badging only "Sonata"; interior seems like base model, with the base HVAC. I am not sure if any "options" are on it.):
1) Steering Assist control setting on the steering wheel. "Comfort", "Normal" and "Sport". Changes, while in motion, in required driver input force, are immediately very noticeable. This should not be needed, but since it seems to be needed in more than a few 2013's, why not have it available to help mitigate the losses from ESC, and to maybe even empower the driver to gain some additional benefits that ESC enables (over hydraulic assist). Next up for 2015, "Launch Control" ;) .
2) MUTE BUTTON on audio system! Who ever omitted this essential function from the 2013 should be punished in some creative, related, manner...
3) Back-up camera.
4) "Blind Spot" driver mirror.
5) Audio System: The volume can be changed while other adjustments are being made, without it reverting out of the adjustment modes. It's also a touch-screen, and there are additional brightness setting controls.
6) Overhead lighting:
New LED insert. Quick check seems like a huge improvement in not destroying night-vision on entry, as the 2013 lamps do. I keep them off for that reason, and use the passenger "vanity" light if needed.
8) Day Running Lights: may be able to turn them off.
7) I think there is an new icon on the instrument panel....?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fuel Door Adjusted!

The fuel door was adjusted at the dealer. Access is apparently through the easily removable and replaceable couple inch wide liner "panel" in the trunk.

The fuel door is much better now, about as flush as the 2014 loaner, though a bit tighter. It's retained this correction through more than a few test cycles. The gap at the top of the fuel door is still a bit larger the 2014, but acceptable. Hopefully, all will remain as is.

Thanks, all, for your assistance!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts