So my 2001 Hyundai Elantra has had quite a year....Changed the following:
Exhaust Manifold
Struts
Spark Plugs
Input & output speed sensors
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump
& most recently the Timing Belt.

That being said, since I changed my fuel pump a few weeks ago my gas consumption all of a sudden went WAY UP! I used to get about 550kms/tank now it is down to about 350kms/tank!!!
I got the timing belt changed today and the dealership gave me a list of things they recommend for service:

-Exhaust flex pipe/catalytic convertor. (exhaust leak) $1200.00
-Induction system service (decarbonize engine and clean fuel injectors) $195.00
-Engine tune up (spark plug replacement) $155.00
But they said they don't know why I am using more gas.
Any ideas???

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
interesting about the fuel pump. for it to make that large of a difference, you probably had low flow/pressure causing incorrect air/fuel mixture. that should have generated a CEL. was anything else done at the same time? my idle curiosity here. changing a fuel pump usually does not cause a large increase in fuel economy unless there is an obvious problem.

as for the dealer....dear god go somewhere else. you are getting hosed.

-Exhaust flex pipe/catalytic convertor. (exhaust leak) $1200.00
this is a joke right?? the flex pipe broken means you're replacing the pipe downstream of the cat. that part costs around $200 give or take depending on what you get. install is dead simple.

also, its either the flex pipe OR the cat. not both.

-Induction system service (decarbonize engine and clean fuel injectors) $195.00
this is the equivalent of opening your wallet and emptying into the toilet.

they're going to dump injector cleaner into the tank and dump some other cleaning crap into the intake. there's no need for this and will do you no good. you can do this yourself for about $20 if you really want to waste some money.

pro tip: just about all gasoline already has cleaners in it.

-Engine tune up (spark plug replacement) $155.00
spark plugs will cost you about $20-30 for all 4 depending on what you get. ok maybe a little more for the high end iridiums, but still. labour is about 20 minutes if you're slow.

still think its worth it?

it'll be the exhaust leak that is causing your low fuel economy. if that is true, it should be very noticeable. loud and obnoxious. if you don't have that, they are REALLY trying to bend you over for that exhaust repair.

there are other possible causes, but honestly 550km/tank is quite good. especially in the cold weather! my accent doesn't do much better than that.

the short version: your fuel economy is fine. stop worrying about it and stop letting the stealership rip you off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts