Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (Edging1 @ Jul 15 2011, 08:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476289
I've been driving close to 30 years now, owned close to 20 vehicles in that time give or take, I have never added any additives in any vehicle at any time. I honestly can say, I have never seen any drawbacks or problems by NOT using an additive. So for what it's worth, if a few bucks a bottle every once in awhile will make you feel all warm & fuzzy inside, then go for it :thumbsup: . I can't see it being a problem by adding it. My personal experience for what it's worth, you don't need it.

Now, if Hyundai openly recommends it for the turbo, or says you really should add it? Sure, I'll bite. As I said, it doesn't hurt. My question is, does Hyundai recommend it? If they don't, I really have no interest.

RTFM, they recommend "Hyundai Techron" "as needed".

Seriously check it out for yourself though. It's been a few months and my car is parked sooo farrr away (outside).

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've been driving close to 30 years now, owned close to 20 vehicles in that time give or take, I have never added any additives in any vehicle at any time. I honestly can say, I have never seen any drawbacks or problems by NOT using an additive. So for what it's worth, if a few bucks a bottle every once in awhile will make you feel all warm & fuzzy inside, then go for it :thumbsup: . I can't see it being a problem by adding it. My personal experience for what it's worth, you don't need it.

Now, if Hyundai openly recommends it for the turbo, or says you really should add it? Sure, I'll bite. As I said, it doesn't hurt. My question is, does Hyundai recommend it? If they don't, I really have no interest.

Hyundai would only recommend it to sell it and thats it, otherwise you would see a CAUTION in the owners manual, by the gas cap, on the visor and on the fuel level gage saying if you dont use it engine damage will result and we both know, it just aint so!

·
Registered
186 Posts

Yes, accordingly to the service schedule it says to add one bottle of additive every oil change.

·
Registered
938 Posts
QUOTE (wnaqvi23 @ Jul 16 2011, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476546
Yes, accordingly to the service schedule it says to add one bottle of additive every oil change.
Why do you think that is? Im not trying to be a smart a**, Im just curious if you have any opinions on why Hyundai recommends using "Their" (Techrons) fuel additive? If its because of the additive itself, you can get it when you fill up at any Chevron station because its in their gas. As a matter of fact, all gas stations have their own formula to do the same thing, keep fuel systems clean, which include pistons, combustion chamber and valves. If anyone ever gets a chance to see an engine torn down with 100+K miles on it, you will discover an amazing thing, they are very clean in the areas we are discussing. The gasolines available and the way engines operate these days really don't require fuel additives. It wont hurt either, which is why Hyundai and everyone else sells them. It's just an extra money maker for them. But as usual, if it makes you feel all fuzzy inside to spend your money on something you don't need, save it an give it to the poor. It will do more good and you will feel even better for helping another human being who is in need! Just a thought. Im sure it wont be very popular, but just a thought all the same. :innocent:

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Jul 16 2011, 12:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476556
Why do you think that is? Im not trying to be a smart a**, Im just curious if you have any opinions on why Hyundai recommends using "Their" (Techrons) fuel additive? If its because of the additive itself, you can get it when you fill up at any Chevron station because its in their gas. As a matter of fact, all gas stations have their own formula to do the same thing, keep fuel systems clean, which include pistons, combustion chamber and valves. If anyone ever gets a chance to see an engine torn down with 100+K miles on it, you will discover an amazing thing, they are very clean in the areas we are discussing. The gasolines available and the way engines operate these days really don't require fuel additives. It wont hurt either, which is why Hyundai and everyone else sells them. It's just an extra money maker for them. But as usual, if it makes you feel all fuzzy inside to spend your money on something you don't need, save it an give it to the poor. It will do more good and you will feel even better for helping another human being who is in need! Just a thought. Im sure it wont be very popular, but just a thought all the same. :innocent:
Are you familiar with direct injection gremlins vis a vis http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t48380-st-0-...bon-buildup.htm

Major question: Will fuel additives decrease carbon buildup on the valves?

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Jul 16 2011, 12:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476556

I think that's the point I was targeting as well. It doesn't hurt, but let's be honest here, adding it is NOT going to make much of a difference if any. As you mention, a lot of fuels (maybe more so than not) already add detergents and additives. I know the fuel I purchase does. What you are doing is just adding more for peace of mind I suppose.

As I said, I've never added any additives. Here's a list of vehicles with various estimated mileages , and only 1 engine did I have an issue with (which was very common amongst similar owners anyways). All ran clean, without any fuel supply problems, blocked injectors or lines, sludge or buildup.

'70 1/2 Camaro - 120K
'78 Nova - 50K
'76 Monte Carlo - 178K
'79 Camaro - 80K
'64 Chevelle - 210K
'83 Celebrity - 90K
'79 Magnum - 200K
'79 Cutlass Supreme - 140K
'85 Camaro IROC - 25K
'75 Chevelle Laguna S-3 - 20K
'93 Typhoon - 64K
'91 Beretta - 20K
'94 Beretta Z26 - 36K
'89 Tempo - 100K
***'79 Regal - 175K **** Problem child! Then again, the 302's were always problems more often than not
'91 Scoupe - 90K (my first Hyundai!! Fun as all [email protected]@l!!)
2K Neon - 45K
'02 Santa Fe - 90K
'06 Mazda-3 - 36K
2K Durango - 125K
'08 Santa Fe - 24K
'11 Sonata - 3K

There you have it. I lied. 22 vehicles, not 20. But my point here is simply this - all the cars I've owned over the years and never any fuel related issues, nor buildup in the carbs, injectors, pistons, etc.....if additives are so essential, why did I never have to use them? All these years - yet there are those brainwashed into believing it is necessary!!! The big secret is not really a secret at all - maintain & maintenance your vehicle religiously, even more than necessary at times if the conditions call for it. I admit, I have been know to change fluids on schedule more often than not, but at times of extreme temps and driving - I've cut those intervals in half. But, I digress....

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE (TurboMax @ Jul 15 2011, 10:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476325
RTFM, they recommend "Hyundai Techron" "as needed".

Seriously check it out for yourself though. It's been a few months and my car is parked sooo farrr away (outside).
:w00t: .....gawwwwwwwd, you're gonna make me look at the manual??!!!

Ok, looked again, I confess - I didn't see it the 2nd time around either.....the 3rd time I did see it. That being said, they can keep their "additive"!! :grin:

·
Registered
938 Posts
QUOTE (Edging1 @ Jul 16 2011, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476667
:w00t: .....gawwwwwwwd, you're gonna make me look at the manual??!!!

Ok, looked again, I confess - I didn't see it the 2nd time around either.....the 3rd time I did see it. That being said, they can keep their "additive"!! :grin:
LOL! :grin: You crack me up man!

·
Registered
411 Posts

I'm pretty sure it says on the Manual to use additive every once in awhile.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you one is on the exploration track -> there is my home -grown blend

-equal parts
naphtha
kerosene
mineral spirits

then a hint of acetone, xylene, toluene

(same ingredients are used in SeaFoam, WD40, LubroMoly...)

200ml every other tank

Enjoy!

·
Registered
308 Posts
QUOTE (nemohm @ Jul 26 2011, 06:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=481511
If you one is on the exploration track -> there is my home -grown blend

-equal parts
naphtha
kerosene
mineral spirits

then a hint of acetone, xylene, toluene

(same ingredients are used in SeaFoam, WD40, LubroMoly...)

200ml every other tank

Enjoy!
I'll take techron on sale the 20 oz two for one sale at $8.00 at autozone. Also you can use water through the vacuum hose for nothing does a better job. But most people or too scared of hydro-locking if you google the correct way no worries. Google steam clean engine with water, I learned about this as one of the benefits of using methanol injection.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I suppose that you could just fill up with Chevron gas (if its available in your area) which already has techron mixed in. :innocent:

·
Registered
938 Posts
QUOTE (mhyjek @ Jul 26 2011, 06:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=481530
I'll take techron on sale the 20 oz two for one sale at $8.00 at autozone. Also you can use water through the vacuum hose for nothing does a better job. But most people or too scared of hydro-locking if you google the correct way no worries. Google steam clean engine with water, I learned about this as one of the benefits of using methanol injection.
I remember using water injection back in the 70's. We did a test engine that had 130,000 miles on it. Pulled the heads and examined the valves and the tops of the pistons. Put it all back together and set up a water injection system. Made a few hard pass and injected the water. Pulled the heads and the valves and pistons look like new! No dought it works but what effect does it have on the catalytic converter and 02 sensors? There was a product we used in the 90's called X66-A by Delco. You would spray it down the carburetor while the engine was idling and when you emptied the can, you would shut the engine off and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Then fire it up and rev the engine and it would blow out all the junk built up on valves, pistons and combustion chambers. It was recommended that at that point you install new spark plugs. It was friendly to 02 and cats. They dont sell it anymore. Now whatever people use is introduced through the fuel system itself.

·
Registered
308 Posts
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Jul 27 2011, 10:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=481795
I remember using water injection back in the 70's. We did a test engine that had 130,000 miles on it. Pulled the heads and examined the valves and the tops of the pistons. Put it all back together and set up a water injection system. Made a few hard pass and injected the water. Pulled the heads and the valves and pistons look like new! No dought it works but what effect does it have on the catalytic converter and 02 sensors? There was a product we used in the 90's called X66-A by Delco. You would spray it down the carburetor while the engine was idling and when you emptied the can, you would shut the engine off and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Then fire it up and rev the engine and it would blow out all the junk built up on valves, pistons and combustion chambers. It was recommended that at that point you install new spark plugs. It was friendly to 02 and cats. They dont sell it anymore. Now whatever people use is introduced through the fuel system itself.
No it shouldn't effect cat or 02 since water is by product of normal combustion. Also you are using about 4 to 6 oz over 3-5 minute period. The water becomes a steam vapor that literally takes all the carbon out of combustion chamber. I will do this at my next oil change whereas I do the steam cleaning first then dump the oil. Same as techron I do that one tank before the oil change because as it cleans fuel system and maybe the combustion chamber(not totally sold on that) most of the containments goto the oil ie getting the oil dirty. Dealers change oil than put techron in which just get new oil dirty and cleaner is a solvent a little bit will work on the fresh new oil as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
QUOTE (mhyjek @ Jul 27 2011, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=481957
No it shouldn't effect cat or 02 since water is by product of normal combustion. Also you are using about 4 to 6 oz over 3-5 minute period. The water becomes a steam vapor that literally takes all the carbon out of combustion chamber. I will do this at my next oil change whereas I do the steam cleaning first then dump the oil. Same as techron I do that one tank before the oil change because as it cleans fuel system and maybe the combustion chamber(not totally sold on that) most of the containments goto the oil ie getting the oil dirty. Dealers change oil than put techron in which just get new oil dirty and cleaner is a solvent a little bit will work on the fresh new oil as well.

Help me understand this part ... when you put the techron in the fuel system and it chemically loosens and dislodges the contaminents in the combustion chamber sending them out through the exhaust system ... how does the oil get contaminated?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
QUOTE (Mr. Peabody @ Jul 29 2011, 03:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=482988
Help me understand this part ... when you put the techron in the fuel system and it chemically loosens and dislodges the contaminents in the combustion chamber sending them out through the exhaust system ... how does the oil get contaminated?

Thanks!!
The same reason gas, dirt, and other environmental contaniments get into oil. What goes in combustion chamber doesn't always go out the exhaust some of it ends up in the oil. I don't have an article but if it cleans as stated there will be more stuff in your brand new oil and stay there for your extended 5k interval doesn't make sense when you can do it a tank or two before your oil change. Another example of this when do most people wash there hands before or after they goto the bathroom? After= good for public health, before=good for your health, before and after politically correct. Our hands have the most crap on them because they touch everything!

·
Registered
938 Posts
QUOTE (Mr. Peabody @ Jul 29 2011, 02:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=482988

Thanks!!
A natural process of cumbustion pressure blows past the piston rings and into the crankcase. Thats where it mixes with the oil.

·
Registered
564 Posts
QUOTE (igotzzoom @ Apr 20 2011, 10:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=433406
I did Techron around my first oil change. As others have said here, the "official" Hyundai fuel treatment appears to basically be off-the-shelf Techron.

Reason I'm being extra cautious is because it's a direct-injected turbo under 17+ psi of boost, you're talking about one of the harshest possible engine environments for a production car. I'd imagine the injectors could get pretty caked with deposits without periodic treatment. Just out of curiosity, does the N.A. 2.4 GDI also recommend treatments at the same intervals as the 2.0T? What about non-GDI Hyundai engines? Do they recommend treatment at all?
Oddly enough, Hyundai does not recommend a fuel additive for the NA 2.4 GDi, but KIA does for the NA 2.4 GDi Optima. Why Hyundai does not for the Sonata, and KIA does for the same engine in the Optima, makes no sense.

That being said, I plan to pick up a bottle of Techron concentrate for my NA 2.4 GDi. At 17K miles I have started noticing some stumbling at start-up and suspect the fuel system needs a treatment. The car rarely ever gets Top Tier fuel.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts