Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
QUOTE (putz @ Jul 7 2011, 06:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=472465
I use Petro Canada which is top tier just regular plus motomaster injector cleaner every oil change

6$ for 5 treatments cheap insurance for dirty gdi
I have heard that stuff is not good for our cars since we have a larger tank, their detergent to fuel ratio is off for larger tanks. This is not hard fact just advice I got from a friend ( an ex-Canadian tire service mechanic).

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I would just stick to the good stuff. Techron concentrate!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't see any techron products in my local shop here in Toronto we have alot of Lucas and STp products. How is STP compared to others

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am going to use Chevron Techron Concentrate prior to every oil change and I use Top Tier gasoline whenever available (usually Exxon or Sunoco).

·
Registered
669 Posts
QUOTE (wnaqvi23 @ Jul 9 2011, 06:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=473265
I don't see any techron products in my local shop here in Toronto we have alot of Lucas and STp products. How is STP compared to others
If you can't find it at parts stores, ask your Hyundai dealer if they stock it, since Hyundai recomends it for our cars as needed. You can always order some online if you can't find it up there.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
QUOTE (TurboMax @ Jul 10 2011, 05:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=473577
I am going to use Chevron Techron Concentrate prior to every oil change and I use Top Tier gasoline whenever available (usually Exxon or Sunoco).
Yep I use Exxon or Shell mostly and always get premium 93 octane gas. I also use the Techron concentrate with every oil change. As far as oil, I'm using Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 now.

QUOTE (austex04 @ Jul 10 2011, 05:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=473581
If you can't find it at parts stores, ask your Hyundai dealer if they stock it, since Hyundai recomends it for our cars as needed. You can always order some online if you can't find it up there.
I think Hyundai charges way too much for the stuff. I would go online and see if you can find out where they sell it at. Or just buy it online. They also have a coupon online somewhere for buy on get one free.

·
Registered
938 Posts
QUOTE (BigSlick @ Jul 10 2011, 04:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=473604
Yep I use Exxon or Shell mostly and always get premium 93 octane gas.
Just curious, why do you use 93 octane gas?
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtm
I think Hyundai charges way too much for the stuff. I would go online and see if you can find out where they sell it at. Or just buy it online. They also have a coupon online somewhere for buy on get one free.You know the Hyundai fuel additive is Techron right? Even comes in a Techron bottle. :grin:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Jul 10 2011, 07:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=473620
Just curious, why do you use 93 octane gas?
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtm
I think Hyundai charges way too much for the stuff. I would go online and see if you can find out where they sell it at. Or just buy it online. They also have a coupon online somewhere for buy on get one free.You know the Hyundai fuel additive is Techron right? Even comes in a Techron bottle. :grin:

Cause I'm boat loaded!!!! No I use higher octane cause even though the manual states that the car car run on "87 or higher octane", I feel more comfortable running the higher octane gas in her. It's kinda like how I know that I can get drunk off of cheap liqour while taking a chance of getting a massive hangover, or buy the better stuff and not worry about it the next day!!

It's a turbo car and it just makes me feel better. Just because it has a warranty doesn't mean I wanna use it. I love my car and I dont like to not have her around to drive. :grin:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Opps, this thread is getting more play.

"Went with Lucas because I can get it free from work."

That would be my choice except instead of putting it in the tank I'd mark it down and have a half price sale.

I'm looking forward to building up carbon deposits and raising my compression, so I can enjoy the fuel benefits of HI-TEST.

I'm burning white gas, not naphtha, right now trying to accelerate the process!

Va-vA-Va-vA-Va-aV-Va-vA-Va-vA-Va-BOOM-POW baby!

You certainly aren't going to hurt anything by dropping a bottle in the tank.

·
Registered
411 Posts
So on the back of the Techron bottle it says to add it when the tank is near empty and then fill it up with gas. What is the difference between adding Techron after you have your tank filled? Also, I've heard that people just put the Techron in near empty and Drive around until the light turns on, then drive around some more, THEN fill the tank with gas. what is the proper way of using Techron or similar product cleaners?

Also, why does it seem people do it right before and oil change and not after?

·
Registered
938 Posts
QUOTE (JPC1080 @ Jul 12 2011, 10:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=474407
So on the back of the Techron bottle it says to add it when the tank is near empty and then fill it up with gas. What is the difference between adding Techron after you have your tank filled? Also, I've heard that people just put the Techron in near empty and Drive around until the light turns on, then drive around some more, THEN fill the tank with gas. what is the proper way of using Techron or similar product cleaners?

Also, why does it seem people do it right before and oil change and not after?
The only reason the instructions suggest that you pour the fuel additive in before you fill up is just to blend it with the gas better. Its like pouring coffee creamer in your cup after the coffee is in the cup or pouring the creamer in the cup before pouring the coffee in, same thing. If you put it in after you fill up it will eventually mix with the tank of gas as it sloshes around but thats why they say pour before fill. As far as what people do, the crazy things people do, I haven't a clue. I'm sure if you ask them they will have a scientific or a backyard garage reason for doing so :whistling: The best way to add fuel additives is before a fill-up. If you cant or you forgot the bottle at home (like I've done) just add it when you get home. Forget about everything else.
The reason some do it right before and oil change is because they feel that Techron will get into the oil and contaminate it or dilute the oil so they run the fuel additive through and then change the oil. There is no basis for this thought except this friend of my second cousins sisiters best friends dad who works at a dealership said so, so it must be true! :whistling: :grin: Once someone has something in their head whether its right or wrong (and most of the time its wrong) they will defend that thought to the death! So, it's like, whatever dude, do what you want! :whistling:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've always used Lucas in my cars after having it recommended to me by some local gear-heads. Either at an oil change or sometimes I'd treat the tank before a big road trip. It always seemed to do a pretty good job.

·
Registered
938 Posts
QUOTE (Fastlerner @ Jul 15 2011, 05:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=476216
I've always used Lucas in my cars after having it recommended to me by some local gear-heads. Either at an oil change or sometimes I'd treat the tank before a big road trip. It always seemed to do a pretty good job.
How could you tell?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been driving close to 30 years now, owned close to 20 vehicles in that time give or take, I have never added any additives in any vehicle at any time. I honestly can say, I have never seen any drawbacks or problems by NOT using an additive. So for what it's worth, if a few bucks a bottle every once in awhile will make you feel all warm & fuzzy inside, then go for it :thumbsup: . I can't see it being a problem by adding it. My personal experience for what it's worth, you don't need it.

Now, if Hyundai openly recommends it for the turbo, or says you really should add it? Sure, I'll bite. As I said, it doesn't hurt. My question is, does Hyundai recommend it? If they don't, I really have no interest.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts