Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, we all know that we're supposed to be putting this stuff in our tanks every once in a while. Let's hear what kinds you guys are using and how often your using them! There's so many out there to choose from.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So were just trying to be funny on my thread? You don't even own a turbo sonata so this question wasn't for you anyway. That's why it's posted in the 2011 Turbo Sonata forums and not the 2000 Sonata forums. :closedeyes:

I guess I should've noted that this isn't a discussion on whether or not you want to use an additive.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (wymi @ Mar 31 2011, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=423775
This thread is already heading in the wrong direction, it's either on topic from now on or it's done.

Tell me about it, I try to start a nice informative thread and people are coming on here killing it! What's the deal? Is there that many people on this forum that don't have the car but want to make comments or suggestions??

This is a legitimate topic that I want to discuss with "Real 2011 Turbo Sonata Owners", is this not too much to ask for?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Asked the dealer. They said all they have is Techron and said to only use it if you weren't using top tier fuel. I did my first two fill ups with 93 to try and improve my 16 &14 mpg, but my next one will be 87 with Lucas fuel treatment. The fuel will probably be from Gulf or Mobile. Went with Lucas because I can get it free from work.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (AJP687 @ Mar 31 2011, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=423783
Asked the dealer. They said all they have is Techron and said to only use it if you weren't using top tier fuel. I did my first two fill ups with 93 to try and improve my 16 &14 mpg, but my next one will be 87 with Lucas fuel treatment. The fuel will probably be from Gulf or Mobile. Went with Lucas because I can get it free from work.
:00000732: :clap: :beer: :grin:

Thank you so much for a real response!

I thought I read something that said it was supposed to be used at every oil change or 3000 miles. You do know that "Top Tier" gas doesn't mean 93 octane right? Also the additive doesn't raise the octane level but cleans the fuel system. An octane booster though, would raise the octane number. I'm pretty sure they recommend using it to prevent or reduce deposit buildup. Either way, I used a store brand only once but I'm gonna start using some better stuff. I plan on keeping this car for the long haul so I want to take care of hrer as best I can. I picked up this Gumout fuel system cleaner cause it was a sensible price and seemed like it's pretty good stuff.

And by the way, you aren't gonna improve that mileage if you keep spinning the tires from traffic light to traffic light in the city!!! :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (BigSlick @ Mar 31 2011, 07:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=423790
:00000732: :clap: :beer: :grin:

Thank you so much for a real response!

I thought I read something that said it was supposed to be used at every oil change or 3000 miles. You do know that "Top Tier" gas doesn't mean 93 octane right? Also the additive doesn't raise the octane level but cleans the fuel system. An octane booster though, would raise the octane number. I'm pretty sure they recommend using it to prevent or reduce deposit buildup. Either way, I used a store brand only once but I'm gonna start using some better stuff. I plan on keeping this car for the long haul so I want to take care of hrer as best I can. I picked up this Gumout fuel system cleaner cause it was a sensible price and seemed like it's pretty good stuff.

And by the way, you aren't gonna improve that mileage if you keep spinning the tires from traffic light to traffic light in the city!!! :p
I agree.

Additive means cleaner and if you are using a top tier gasoline there is no need. Only in spaced out intervals.
Octane booster's also are measured in points...which it takes 10 points to equal 1 octane number, and they are also know to fowl plugs. Ask me how I know????? Not to mention its cheaper to put in premium than add booster every tank.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (PearlTurbo @ Mar 31 2011, 09:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=423825
I agree.

Additive means cleaner and if you are using a top tier gasoline there is no need. Only in spaced out intervals.
Octane booster's also are measured in points...which it takes 10 points to equal 1 octane number, and they are also know to fowl plugs. Ask me how I know????? Not to mention its cheaper to put in premium than add booster every tank.

That goes for me too.

Jaeger

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on using it at every oil change to keep everything nice and clean. Even with the top tier gasoline, your motor can get some deposits. I would never use anything but the top tier gas though, those other brands could dirty your motor up pretty good. Better safe than sorry. I figure its only $5-10 every 3000 miles isn't too expensive for me!

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (Newport Ohio @ Apr 1 2011, 08:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=424020
Although I don't have a Turbo, I have always added a can of Seafoam to my vehicles gas when I change the oil.
I too use seafoam but I use a half a can each in the two tanks following an oil change.

I started using it after a friend suggested it to improve my old elantra's sluggish throttle response and it worked great. I wouldn't do it with my new car for fear of buggering up some sensors but with an older car it works great when you put 1/3 of a can in the intake (via brake booster vaccum tube) and turn the car off, let it sit for 10-15 minutes. After that take it out and drive it like you stole it and redline a few times and it will burn out all of the crap from your engine. I suggest doing that on some back country roads because your car will smoke like a son of a gun for a few miles. I also cleaned my mass air flow sensor with some MAF cleaner after doing that to ensure none of the "fog" will mess with that sensor. I've used it in my motorcycle after confirming that it had low compression I took out the spark plugs and poured a little less than an ounce in each cylinder and let it sit for a few days and after I started it up and burned off the carbon on the rings, it increased my compressions on every cylinder by at least 20 PSI.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's funny, when I was at my dealer to get some touch-up paint, I noticed they had a gas additive and it was in the same bottle as the Chevron Techron bottle but with Hyundai lables on it. :grin: I use 87 octane gas. Every once in a while I'll put in a bottle of Techron cuz I get it from work. The gasolines today are very good even if you use 87. I know Chevron Techron additive in stores is about $6.00 a bottle. You could use that or fill up with top tier gas every so often, depending on the cost.

·
Registered
478 Posts
QUOTE (seant2h @ Apr 1 2011, 09:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=424043
I wouldn't do it with my new car for fear of buggering up some sensors but with an older car it works great when you put 1/3 of a can in the intake (via brake booster vaccum tube) and turn the car off, let it sit for 10-15 minutes. After that take it out and drive it like you stole it and redline a few times and it will burn out all of the crap from your engine. I suggest doing that on some back country roads because your car will smoke like a son of a gun for a few miles.
I did that a couple of times on my old Ram and that was great! The only issue was that my truck only had 40k miles on it so I figured it wouldn't smoke all that much and just drove up and down my street afterwards. It looked like half the houses where on fire with all the smoke my truck made. Whoops......:whistling:

But yeah, I don't think I'll ever do that on my Sonata. :innocent:

·
Registered
170 Posts
In my other cars I've always used Techron about once a year and will in this car... I buy fuel based on what station is easy to use when I need it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Apr 1 2011, 09:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=424058
It's funny, when I was at my dealer to get some touch-up paint, I noticed they had a gas additive and it was in the same bottle as the Chevron Techron bottle but with Hyundai lables on it. :grin: I use 87 octane gas. Every once in a while I'll put in a bottle of Techron cuz I get it from work. The gasolines today are very good even if you use 87. I know Chevron Techron additive in stores is about $6.00 a bottle. You could use that or fill up with top tier gas every so often, depending on the cost.
I saw that too.... The bottle actually has the techron logo on it. I have used techron periodically with my past cars and had great results. I'm not big believer in using every oil change though. It becomes to expensive and all the mpg's your saving go out the exhaust pipe from a $9 bottle every oil change (the $6 is progaurd witch has small fraction of the techron). I don't use seafoam but I have used water through a vacuum hose to steam clean the cylinders. I learned this trick when I had an integra on one of there forums. People will argue about potential hydro lock problem but if you use the right amount no problems. And if you are still worried use methanol than and its all good.

·
Registered
938 Posts
QUOTE (mhyjek @ Apr 1 2011, 11:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=424138
(the $6 is progaurd witch has small fraction of the techron).
No, actually a bottle of Techron is $6 and some change at our auto parts stores here in Cali. Just saw it a couple days ago. Now, it may be $9 at the dealer but you never buy that kind of stuff at a dealer.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts