Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Depends on what you are referring to on the column. Is it the rotating shaft assembly or the motor-driven assist unit?

In my car, the motor unit is hissing (faintly but noticeable) and I have just contended to live with it. Like you, I also bought the first year (2011 in 2010) and I have learned my lesson.

At my mileage, most of what you are describing can only be attributed to bad designs in parts that have probably been rectified in later years. That being said, seems like the early 2011s have a lot of these.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
fwiw....mine was a 2011, purchased on labor day weekend (Sept 4, 2010) and i traded it a year ago with 62K miles. besides the recalls, some of which weren't really necessary in my opinion (fuel door and shift knob) i only had the right front axle replaced due to cracked cv boot. original tires still (i did run michelin x-ice during the winters of '11& '12), original brakes. that car looked as good as it did new and ran just as good. kind of miss it.

i don't know if your steering is widespread issue...or just an anomaly in your case.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For the record i'm on my 3rd/4th steering column. Think we may have figured out that it's actually the motor driven assist unit that keeps going bad, which you can only buy with the column.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have this rattle noise in the steering column. Dealer said since I'm at 70K this would not be covered and ~$1000 to fix it.

I did have the early steering column recall done at around 4000 miles but didn;t start having this issue until about 55000-60K.

Did you ever have any permanent luck at fixing this?

Did you ever get a tutorial written up?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I too have this rattle noise in the steering column. Dealer said since I'm at 70K this would not be covered and ~$1000 to fix it.

I did have the early steering column recall done at around 4000 miles but didn;t start having this issue until about 55000-60K.

Did you ever have any permanent luck at fixing this?

Did you ever get a tutorial written up?
Does this rattle come when you go over uneven roads? And it is it coming from the driver's side only? Any noise from the passenger side?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts