Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share my extremely frustrating experience that I've had with my vehicle for the past few years since owning it, hopefully this will steer people away from Hyundai because that is where i'm at now.

I purchased my car in 2010 brand new.

1. Had a steering recall down late 2010. Steering column always made noise, didn't think it was huge deal thought it was just the plastic rubbing from back of steering wheel from poor reinstallation.

2. Had lowering springs installed sometime in 2011.

3. Steering rattle continued to get worse, took it into holler hyundai, Winter Park to diagnose. They blamed it on the lowering springs.

4. Took it back a year later for a recall and bought it up again since the steering column was making even more noise. Again denied, blamed it on the springs, and told to take it back to original dealer who did the steering recall for them to check it.

5. Took it back to universal hyundai, orlando, they said this is a common problem with a steering column bushing going bad. Car is now out of warranty, told to open a case with hyundai corp.

6. Provided all documentation to hyundai showing this was all bought up while under warranty and they blame it on the lowering springs, now I have a steering wheel that feels like it's going to fall off and i'm responsible to get it fixed.

At 73k miles I've recently replaced the starter (poor design) also the window switch (bad design), and now I will have to pay for the steering column replacement. I'm fixing the car and selling it and saying goodbye to hyundai, I suggest you all do the same they will NOT back their warranty if they have any excuse with aftermarket parts (majority of you here).

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well...

1.) I bought my car from Universal as well. Even though they resolved my right-pull alignment issue I really don't like their service department. I now take mine to Lakeland Hyundai since it is down the street from my work. They have a great service department.

2.) You have a 2010 which is the first model year of a new design. Any car I've owned or people that I know have own which is the first model year always have more issues than normal. Just goes with the territory.

3.) You did modify your car in a way which could have an adverse affect on other parts. But, I would have had them specifically show you how your modification affected the other issue.

All in all I have had zero warranty issues with my Elantra (had to have the condenser replace due to a puncture but that wasn't a part failure). Had the right-pull issue on my Sonata as well as a bad cruise control steering wheel control module but both fixed under warranty without issue. Granted they had to keep my car for about a week with the alignment issue but that was before the official TSB came out on how to fix it. I think my car was one of the guinea pigs that Hyundai used to author the TSB. They flew in a Hyundai engineer to work on it and then about 2 weeks later the official TSB was issued. Plus I got a free rental the entire time so they kept me happy.

I personally am completely happy with Hyundai. Sorry your experience has been different.

And why is the starter and window switches a bad design? Because they broke on you? If that's the case then every part in every car made (other manufacturers included) would be a "bad design".

Reactions: Saleem

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valuable lesson learned about buying first model year....

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The starter issue is well known.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I missed your question but yes the starter design is a very common problem. The window switch i'm assuming is a poor design because on a 3 year old car where the window switch was barely used (fl weather, ac all year), shouldn't break.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have an 11 SE and have only had the starter lever go out(Known), left half shaft replaced, and my steering wheel inserts all under warranty with no issues. Got mine used as a CPO and the dealership I take it to isnt even the one I bought it from but still no questions asked. I also get free oil changes whenever I give them all 10s on the survey from Hyundai but I feel they deserve it cause they never give me any issues. I personally think you are over reacting and if they blamed it on the springs then you should have TOOK THEM OFF and took it to another dealer. So in reality your steering column issue is your fault and not Hyundais.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What month was your car built? I have an August built 2011 and I haven't had any of these issues.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry for your problems as well. I have a 2011 purchased in March of 2010. The only thing other than regular maintenance and a couple of TSBs was the right front axle assembly went bad. My dealer took one look and replaced it under warranty.

My car still drives like new, too. Sorry the OP is having so many problems :(

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
A LOT of this depends on the dealer. Small issues like this, if corrected, make the end owner forget about it. Nagging issues incorrectly repaired and fought make an end user NOT forget about it.

My Hyundai dealer is average at best and has tainted my view of Hyundai. Its sad that I have to go to SBR to make sure things are getting done correctly. My Ford dealer is awesome and takes care of me. And while it would make most people faint and decry fraud I would buy a Ford easily over a Hyundai at this time because of it.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
I switched dealers twice for poor service. Not taking up for Hyundai corp, OP, but you should have kept switching dealers when your issue was not fixed. Now that the car is out of warranty, they can and will deny as you have no ground to stand on.

Hopefully they cut you a deal on the bearing replacement or you can do it yourself.

Sorry but that's the way it is.

All mfg's work the same way with warranty stuff. My personal belief is the some dealers will tell their advisers to push customers away so they reduce their warranty work claims to look good for corp. But that's just me.

Either way, you will not remedy this by switching to another brand. Especially at this price point.

In the future, PRESS YOUR DEALER when you are not satisfied. Otherwise, you will be in the same boat again with your next vehicle.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
All mfg's work the same way with warranty stuff. My personal belief is the some dealers will tell their advisers to push customers away so they reduce their warranty work claims to look good for corp. But that's just me.

In the future, PRESS YOUR DEALER when you are not satisfied. Otherwise, you will be in the same boat again with your next vehicle.
No dealer is going to willingly fix another dealers mess ups. I highly doubt they get paid to.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Oh that I know.

What I am saying is that I think dealers don't want to take on too much warranty work, period. Whether the customer is first reporting the issue or bringing in another dealer's screw up.

And they don't worry about fixing other dealers messes. It all gets charged as warranty work and helps to earn the new dealer a customer.

Again its a conspiracy theory of mine that keeps getting stronger when I have to argue with a service adviser about a problem. Its like they think I want to come and hang out at the dealer for the day because I'm bored!

·
Registered
322 Posts
My 2006 Sonata GLS V6 (first year for that chassis and built in Alabama plant) I purchased new in April 2006 was the best new car I've ever owned. Traded it in July 2012 with nearly 139K trouble free miles other than the A/C compressor going out @ 5K. That was my seventh Hyundai and I'm now on No. 10.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Oh that I know.

What I am saying is that I think dealers don't want to take on too much warranty work, period. Whether the customer is first reporting the issue or bringing in another dealer's screw up.

Again its a conspiracy theory of mine that keeps getting stronger when I have to argue with a service adviser about a problem. Its like they think I want to come and hang out at the dealer for the day because I'm bored!
Oh I agree. My SA at the Ford dealership said as much so I cant believe Hyundai does it any differently. They have trimmed back warranty time/pay to unrealistic levels that its a loss for them. He says they try to pipe the same type of repairs to specific people that do them constantly so that the routine is down to try and at least break even he said. Whether its true or not is anybody's guess.

With Ford its out of warranty in 3/36. Hyundai its 10/100 for bigger ticket items so I have to imagine it exacerbates the issue.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Yes it does.

I mentioned this before in another thread but they actually make the owner show ID and sign a document stating they are the original owner for any work under the 10/100K warranty.

Me thinks that a lot of people got over on them back in the early 2000's when it still transferred. People probably were bringing in all kinds of poorly maintained cars and requesting new engines/transmissions/drive axles.

Still its a minor inconvenience to get stuff fixed this late in the mileage game. The Sled is due in tomorrow for warranty replacement of the right CV axle. At 80,290 miles.

Love Hyundai!

·
Registered
458 Posts
can't really squabble about Hyundai. This is my 5th since 1999. Took our 2000 Elantra in and they replaced both front drive axels under warranty at 97,500 miles, Traded Elantra in 2008 for New 2007 Sonata SE V6- Bought daughter a new 2009 elantra and then a 2013 Elantra. (she totaled the 2009) I traded the 07 Sonata for a New 2012 Sonata Limited 2.0T. Have had nothing but good things to say about Hyundai.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'd have to agree with above posters... it does depend on the individual dealer. I've (luckily) had great experiences at my local dealership, and I didn't even buy the car from them. shifter recall + break light recall (which caused me problems for a couple of weeks) were both fixed quickly, and it was because the dealership fixed them relatively quickly, that I am happy regardless of the recalls. Then again, I never had any major issues that were unresolved.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll be fair and say I have taken my car in for many recalls and they were done quickly and swiftly. I just wish they could of replaced something that clearly was not my fault.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For anybody that cares. I replaced my steering column once, and it went bad again within 6 months of replacing it, same exact thing. After replacing it a second time i'm convinced this is a bad steering column design with the earlier models at least. Anybody else have steering column problems?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts