Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is directed at those who drive in colder climes. Up here in the Great White North the mercury plays sub-zero tricks for the next few months. What I mean by tricks is that at times the temps can rise just above freezing and then quickly plummet. The net effect being that the power windows freeze...they just won't budge when trying to open them. It happened to me the other day in the Land of the Crack Smoking Mayor. It is pretty frustrating, and this is after well over an hour of driving. When the windows freeze I yearn for the simpler days of a manual hand crank.

I am wondering if anyone has a trick to two up their sleeve to combat this Pain in the S.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
As those of us in this part of the world are aware the temperature dropped over the weekend. I had the same problem on Saturday morning. I should note that I also have the side visors so should not have got wet. I am wondering if I could put something at the top of the glass like WD40 to stop the rubber sticking. Maybe this is a question for Hyundai. Also the door lock/unlock buttons on the handles freeze. This I can understand, make sense if wet and then freeze.

·
Registered
461 Posts
As those of us in this part of the world are aware the temperature dropped over the weekend. I had the same problem on Saturday morning. I should note that I also have the side visors so should not have got wet. I am wondering if I could put something at the top of the glass like WD40 to stop the rubber sticking. Maybe this is a question for Hyundai. Also the door lock/unlock buttons on the handles freeze. This I can understand, make sense if wet and then freeze.
wd 40 will rot your rubber because of the coal oil.
Use silicon spray, just test it first on a foam cup as some contain additives.
If it melts the cup don't use it.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Pure silicone will not rot rubber, I've applied it to the door wind seals for years. The only pain with glass & silicone is cleaning.

I'll assume your freezing is at the top of the window frame, perhaps a light dusting of graphite powder on the exterior of the window track felt or, using ski / candle wax rub it along the exterior top 1/2" of the window may help.

I'll bet the Ice Road Truckers have a solution....:dry:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in a similar climate here in Michigan - have to say I don't have much occasion to need to open the windows in winter but that's just me. On a related note it did warm up to near 40 deg fahrenheit on Sunday to I dragged out the hose to wash the SantaFe one more time in my driveway..as I was putting the sponge to the rear passenger window I was bummed out to notice that it actually moved a bit back and forth. :( I don't think it was weather related - I'm just disappointed that the window moved so easily (to envision what I mean - press your hand firmly in the middle of the passenger window and move you hand left, right, up, down..the window 'moves' with your hand about a half inch or so in either direction. That spells lack of quality to me. I've also noticed that the 'creaking dash' sound is getting louder especially when the vehicle is cold. Then my wife pulled her visor down the other day - and it broke the little 'latch' where it mounts. Hyundai made the 'clasp' too tight so when you pull the visor up and off it's plastic latch it broke it right off the ceiling. :(... I still love the car - it looks and drives great..I'm just a bit less enthusiastic about the quality control than I was at purchase. I've only had it 9 months now and I hope I don't find more and more things going wrong.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I live in a similar climate here in Michigan - have to say I don't have much occasion to need to open the windows in winter but that's just me. On a related note it did warm up to near 40 deg fahrenheit on Sunday to I dragged out the hose to wash the SantaFe one more time in my driveway..as I was putting the sponge to the rear passenger window I was bummed out to notice that it actually moved a bit back and forth. :( I don't think it was weather related - I'm just disappointed that the window moved so easily (to envision what I mean - press your hand firmly in the middle of the passenger window and move you hand left, right, up, down..the window 'moves' with your hand about a half inch or so in either direction. That spells lack of quality to me. I've also noticed that the 'creaking dash' sound is getting louder especially when the vehicle is cold. Then my wife pulled her visor down the other day - and it broke the little 'latch' where it mounts. Hyundai made the 'clasp' too tight so when you pull the visor up and off it's plastic latch it broke it right off the ceiling. :(... I still love the car - it looks and drives great..I'm just a bit less enthusiastic about the quality control than I was at purchase. I've only had it 9 months now and I hope I don't find more and more things going wrong.
I believe the window wasn't rolled up all the way, if not it's a simple fix for the dealer......but I'm still gonna bet it's not up all the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts